Dorcy 45 lumens 1xAA and 1xAAA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw at local WalMarts a Dorcy light with lens focussing - Model # 41-4285 -
since I was very impressed with the lens versions of the now classic Dorcy 1AAA (see A Classic Revisited - Dorcy 1AAA) -
this looked very interesting especially with the addition of Adjustable Focussing with the lens.
Even the price looked reasonable at $9.97 - I was sorely tempted -
but the thing that put me off was the 3xAAA configuration.

So I thought I'd do a bit of web research on this Dorcy 41-4285 -
I could not find it with a Google; nor on Dorcy.com, even their own on-line shop DorcyDirect.com......

But what I did find was even more interesting the singe AAA model # 41-4252 and the single AA 41-4253 both 45 lumens (1watt) and with adjustable lens focussing.

41-4252 45 Lumens 1 Watt - LED Focusing Flashlight With 1 AAA Battery

41-4253 45 Lumens 1 Watt - LED Focusing Flashlight With 1AA Battery

I just received mine direct from Dorcy -

45LumensAA_AAApk.jpg

back of inset cards -

41-4252 1x AAA - ............................................. 41-4253 - 1x AA -
45LumensAAAcdBk.jpg
45LumensAAcdBk.jpg

I am pretty impressed with the focussing ability - they both will go to a pretty tight spot - but even more impressive is the wide/flood setting - the circle of light is wide and very even - (like I found with the lensed version of the Dorcy 1AAA ) -

Pointing the light at the floor forwards at about 4ft - the circle of light for the wide setting -
1AA ~2.5ft sideways, ~3.3ft diameter extending forwards;
1AAA ~3ft sideways, ~4ft diameter extending forwards.

I regard this as very useful coverage - remember that the light within the circle is very even - a characteristic of lensed lights.

The focussing is continuously variable and at the limit can go to pretty tight spots, but do lose the even lighting somewhat.

-3 Stops Underexposed comparison shot with a Fenix L1D-Q5 - just to show how tight/concentrated the spot is ....
Dorcy45lmAAsp_L1DQ5U3.jpg

They both have recessed tail-switches, the AAA protrudes a bit so the tail-standing is a bit wobbly - that's how I found out the AAA has a forward/tactical clicky whereas the AA has a reverse clicky.....

The feel of the AAA switch is good,
the AA is a bit soft - but not vague, just soft.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been curious about these lights, thanks for the input. How about a shot of the AAA one? I'd love to see one of these with a Cree in it.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Triple post, hmm my Opera doesn't seem to like CPF. Anyone else having problems?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

That is the 3AAA version, a completely different light than the ones posted by the OP. I have that light (the 3AAA one) and its OK... for $10 B&M. Very thick, heavy and rugged. Focusing glass aspheric is its biggest strength. Emitter is easily accessed. I haven't tried it but it should be easy to upgrade/mod with a brighter emitter. The body is pretty long and should fit a single/better rechargable 3.6V cell of some type.

Its shortcomings (IMHO) unregulated, 3AAA cells. 42 lumens is its bulb-spec (Nichia I believe). Out the front its more like 25-30L. It also has a purple-ish dark patch in the center with no hot spot... yuk. Overall an OK budget light for non-CF people, CF members deserve better though.

*edited*

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
I could be wrong but these are different lights. Both AAA and AA lights uses single cells and they are both focusing.!!

The one that was linked had 3 cells AAA in a cartridge.

You did not mention the prices on these. So off to dorcy's site I go to see.

Regards.

PS. Nice pics''''''

Update: after checking the site..... 1AAA is 16. and 1AA is 15. plus shipping.

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I bought a chrome one out of curiosity. Seemed well made but the threads were BEGGING to be lubed. :caution:

Maybe I'm spoiled by Crees, Seouls and Rebels, but the Nichia bluish-with-a-corona tint and its mutant optic totally turned me off. :eek:

Once I got everything nice smooth, I gave it to a woman who worked for me as a X-mas present. She loves it and EDCs the thing. :shrug:

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
I e-mailed Dorcy with the following question:

"Has flashlight Model # 41-4285 been discontinued? I can''t seem to find
any info on this model on your site. It''s a black metal LED (3xAAA) w/
focusing optical lens."

The response:
"Thank you for your interest in one of our LED's. No this light is still
available and is stocked at most Walmart stores.

Joyce Kirk
Customer Service
Dorcy International
2700 Port Road
Columbus, OH 43217"

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I assumed the 3AAA was a direct-drive light ... most 3AAA lights are. That's the reason for that configuration ... it sure isn't the cost per milliamp. 2AA lights are much more efficient ... more power and less cost for the user.

Only about half the Walmarts in this area carry that 1W Nichia Dorcy light.

The Dorcy Metal Gear 1W Luxeon that they wholesaled this past summer/fall is/was a much better light ... even if you got a 'loser' in the Luxeon lottery.

I like the fact that lots of people I know have never used a LED light except for, perhaps, a keychain light. I give away unimpressive (to me) lights and am usually a hero for it. :cool: