Fenix - poor body length

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when I got my L1D-CE (which was when the "CE" came out), it was already a known issue, that the body is too short for protected 14500. Immediately did the "round bent copper wire"-mod, even when I not use the 14500 too often.

Till now, with recommending especially P3D to ppl around here, the number of "body is too short for the protected CR123a's"-replies is constantly increasing ...
... which is known here in CFP also, and also for that nearly one year time, these models came out.

I really wonder why it seems to be impossible to make that bloody body the 1-2 mm needed longer :thinking:

imho, with all those silly arguments of the Fenix-bashers, this one is the one definite egative point of most any Fenix
(the other one is the too high low - also mentionned often and known for tha same long time)

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Fenix lights would need completely redesigned circuitry to run on li-ion rechargeables except the P3D. I know they fit in the P2D, but it loses low modes, and I don't think a 14500 provides much runtime or regulation in an L series light.

thezman

Enlightened
Fenix did not design their lights around rechargeable lithiums. Primaries only.

Therefore, it's not the bodies that are too short, it's your rechargeable lithiums that are too long.

Supernam

Enlightened
You can't complain that a product doesn't work how you want it to when the company designed it that way on purpose. It's like saying that you're upset that a Dodge Viper engine won't fit in your Mustang and if only Ford would have made the engine bay just a little bit bigger.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why can't they make the rechargeable battery same size size the primary it replaces? Pila put its rechargeable single cell replacement on a diet to get it to fit in the snug Surefire L4.

cal..45

Enlightened
All Fenix lights would need completely redesigned circuitry to run on li-ion rechargeables except the P3D. I know they fit in the P2D, but it loses low modes....

seems to be a die hard argument in this forum and everytime I read it, I can only repeat to write what I have a couple times before: the P2D WILL NOT lose the low modes if you run that light with 3.0 volt rechargeables.

regards, holger

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had similar issue here. I have 4 AW 14500 protected batteries in which only 2 out of the 4 will work in my L1D.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Fenix lights would need completely redesigned circuitry to run on li-ion rechargeables except the P3D. I know they fit in the P2D, but it loses low modes, and I don't think a 14500 provides much runtime or regulation in an L series light.

If you look at the vf spec of LED you'll see why. With primary cells 1=boost circuit only, 2+ means buck only. Li ion is straddle the line so if you want to run on 1 you'll need boost and buck. So you end up with increased size and cost, is that what you want?

Khaytsus

Enlightened
seems to be a die hard argument in this forum and everytime I read it, I can only repeat to write what I have a couple times before: the P2D WILL NOT lose the low modes if you run that light with 3.0 volt rechargeables.

regards, holger

Yes, but the 3.0's have pathetic runtime too. But this is true, one should say what chemistry/voltage is in use.

magic_elf

Banned
Not really THAT pathetic, as shown by this graph.
Compared to of primary lithium CR123, they provide about 50% the runtime in a P2D CE, which is similar to what using protected 3.7V RCR123 provide in a P3D CE.

runtime.gif

taken from: http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_p2d_ce/review.html

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really THAT pathetic, as shown by this graph.
Compared to of primary lithium CR123, they provide about 50% the runtime in a P2D CE, which is similar to what using protected 3.7V RCR123 provide in a P3D CE.

runtime.gif

taken from: http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_p2d_ce/review.html

That's not a typical setup. He is charging 3.0V batteries to 3.7V.

From the light-reviews review, right above the graph.

"Now, set the switch on the WF-138 charger to 3.7V (yes 3.7V, not 3.0V) and place your 3.0V Li-Ion cells into the charging bays. Setting the charging voltage to 3.0V will result in miserable capacities and runtimes. Once they've charged up, the cells will measure exactly 3.7V off the charger and not 4.2V which is what you get when using 3.7V Li-Ion cells or the WF-139 charger. As you can see from the runtime graphs below, performance of these Soshine cells are pretty good."

hellfire!

Newly Enlightened
@yellow:

do You want to say, that You cannot use 14500s in an L1D anyway?

I have combined a P2D rebel 100 head with a L1D body and wanted to use
AW 14500. As I was used to do, the head was fixed, I put the cell in
and screw on the tail cap -> no light ( because body is too short)

but: when You fix the tail cap first and put the battery in from the other side,
then screw the head on, the light works, although the head is not fixed complete.

But as known with fenix one cell lights + 3,7V Li-Ion there are no low levels.
The run time is about 50 min. with 14500 with full output + 20 min.getting darker,
what is astonishing.