3 D Maglight LED upgrade- Which one?

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Trying to decide on an LED upgrade for my older, but like new 3D Maglight. Malkoffs dropin is out I think because my serial number doesn't have a C or D in front of it and I don't want to risk spending $75.00 on something that won't work with my light. Should I go for the Maglight 3 watt Dropin or the TERRALUX K2 LED BULB FOR 2 and 3 CELL MAGLITE TLE-6EXB? Or maybe something better? I have no idea. Any info on the next best drop in other than Malkoffs would be helpfull. Very important-- I don't want to set fire to wads of newspaper or spend more than $30.00 on the upgrade. Thanks! Ken

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I'm confused! My first post only showed the title, second post was moved to LED flashlights(don't understand why) and now it has returned! My question is about USEAGE OF AN LED DROPIN (Guess each moderator has own interpetation of rules) Hopefully my thread has finally found its home! Still in need of guidance for best performing dropin, Has anyone tried the Maglight 3 D 3 watt LED upgrade? Is it a dud? Ken

Newuser01

Enlightened
I've personally used (maglite brand) 2D mag drop in on a black 2D mag. It is not going to wow!! anyone but it is very usable, good run time and it was and still is very good dropin even in this cree/SCC/Rebel age.

That said , I have not use other dropin's from other manufacturers/makers. Why? mainly due to "can buy my drop in at any target/walwart/sears/HD/ etc etc. And if you don't like the way it performs, you can return it in reasonable time frame!

There are a few reviews here but can't seem to locate them now.

Why not just buy one from your near by big box store and see how you like it. You can certainly spend more $ later if you want following the advice of other {CPF motto: brighter is better/buy them all mentality} :sssh::sssh:

Regards.
Noob

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
My magled inside a 2C mag is quite bright. Holds its own against my 1AA/AAA Cree/SSC/rebel lights. According to flashlightreviews the 3 cell module is much brighter. With the big reflector it throws much better than the smaller lights.
7500 lux for the 3 cell magled. 3050 lux for a Fenix P3D CE on turbo.
66 lumens for the 3 cell magled. 65 lumens for a P3D CE on high. 125 lumens for the P3D CE on turbo.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p3dce.htm

Just reread your original post. If you got a real old mag none of the current big drop ins may fit. The magled module is your safest bet. I withdraw my recommendations in post#2.

sabre7

Enlightened
Trying to decide on an LED upgrade for my older, but like new 3D Maglight. Malkoffs dropin is out I think because my serial number doesn't have a C or D in front of it and I don't want to risk spending $75.00 on something that won't work with my light. Should I go for the Maglight 3 watt Dropin or the TERRALUX K2 LED BULB FOR 2 and 3 CELL MAGLITE TLE-6EXB? Or maybe something better? I have no idea. Any info on the next best drop in other than Malkoffs would be helpfull. Very important-- I don't want to set fire to wads of newspaper or spend more than $30.00 on the upgrade. Thanks! Ken
I have owned both the magled and TerraLux dropins. For under $30 go with the TerraLux!!
There is nothing wrong with the magled dropins at all... they look to be in the 80lm range- and they do not dim because of heat sinking issues as some claim. If you've been using incan bulbs, you will say WOW when you 1st use the magled.
But... the TerraLux TLE-6EX seems nearly twice as bright, every bit of the claimed 140lm, and works fine in old & new mags. After using the magleds, I couldn't help saying WOW! after changing to TerraLux!! :thumbsup:

Free shipping & good price here (good prices on batteries too!!)
http://www.cfrlights.com/servlet/the-20/ministar5,-maxstar5,-terralux,-tatical/Detail

chewy78

Enlightened
go with a terralux tle-6exb. Its much brighter than a magled in a 3d.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My magled inside a 2C mag is quite bright. Holds its own against my 1AA/AAA Cree/SSC/rebel lights. According to flashlightreviews the 3 cell module is much brighter. With the big reflector it throws much better than the smaller lights.
7500 lux for the 3 cell magled. 3050 lux for a Fenix P3D CE on turbo.
66 lumens for the 3 cell magled. 65 lumens for a P3D CE on high. 125 lumens for the P3D CE on turbo.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p3dce.htm

Just reread your original post. If you got a real old mag none of the current big drop ins may fit. The magled module is your safest bet. I withdraw my recommendations in post#2.

And if you replace the luxeon with a ssc, you are looking at over 130 lumens easy, with exactly the same runtime as before!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 that I have that I really love are the Electrolumens MT-3 and the Terralux Seoul mod w/a UCL window and a stipled reflector (I got mine from Kaidomain).

I also have the MT-1 but mine has some small artifacts in the beam that bug me a little bit. What would be incredible is if Wayne would make the MT1 w/a McR-27S reflector.