Who EDC's spare battery?

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Mainly for those of you who EDC just one light I guess but I was wondering if many of you do this?

I have just about always EDC'ed a torch of some sort before, but never before bothered to carry any spare batteries, unless I was going caving or camping, and even then I usually just bought new batteries and replaced whatever was in the light at the time, maybe carried the olds as spare.

But now that I have changed for an old AA minimag to a nice new cr123A LED 1 cell, I have a lot more room in my bag for one thing, and then there is the cost factor, AA's are dirt cheap, whereas a singe cr123a is about 7.5% the cost of my new torch (in NZ).

I am soon to order some new batts and a charger from Lighthound to cut down costs, but was wondering who bothers with spare batts, or do you prefer to EDC another torch?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I'm at work (suited) I have an NS Wee on my keychain, a spare battery is so small it fits in my wallet without me noticing it. I also have an Arc AAA with spare lithium battery in my PC bag.

When I'm in casual I always carry at least one spare for the TiPD-S that goes evrywhere with me. If I'm away from home or camping/travelling I'll carry a couple of wallets that hold 10x123s each in a bag.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My edc is a hds b42 with a 2X123 case i run a 17670 rechargeable in it. But i also carry another 2X123 case loaded with primaries just in case.Hey it doesn't take up much space and you never know if you might need it.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Today, I find myself carrying both a spare light and extra batteries. I have a belt holster that holds one of several single 123 lights (HDS, Novatac, MxLux, TNC) that are extreemly reliable and I have never worried that they will fail. However, I like to have enough battery power for emergency use and so carry a 4 cell plastic battery holder from batterystation.com. It holds 4 123 cells without noise and fits flat in my jacket pocket. I also carry a Lo-Ti in a front pocket that can act as a loaner in the event of a power outage. I don't wish to give up my only EDC in such times, and the spare light is small enough to not be noticed.

Finally, if my wife asks to borrow a light, my main EDC is still on my hip while she uses my nearly indestructable Lo-Ti.

Cheers,

roguesw

Enlightened
My EDC are L4, Pr-T on me and M3T in a small pouch.
I carry 8 x cr123s and 2x rcr123s.
The rechargaebles are for the L4 and Pr-T and the primaries are for the M3T.
Its convenient if you have a small bag or pouch for your flashlight and you put a few batteries in there. Batteries are small and light.

I try to do the following, I usually have 3 or 4 bags that i use, including my work laptop bag. I try to put 2-4 spare cr123s in each bag so that
if i grab any bag, i know i have spares in them.

You can pick up cr123s for $1 online and if you go with rechargaebles, they pay for themselves after a while

I have used rechargaebles for the last 3 years, they have more than paid for themselves a few times over.

DaveG

Enlightened
I carry spare aa-aaa-123 batterys in my day pack.Figure I have most of the bases covered if I switch my EDC light around.It takes up very little room in the pack.

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
I sewed on 3 elastic pouch loops on the side of my SF 9P nylon holster (the old quality version, not the new smaller crappy fit ones) so I'm always with spares whenever I carry that light

but honestly, for EDC use, today's LEDs are so efficient that I can tell when they're getting weak - with plenty of time to make a change of batteries at home

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the situation. In many cases, no, but if I know ahead of time I might need it for an extended period, then I'll pack spares.

I was at a museum yesterday with my Minimag and camera. I had 6 extra AA and didn't need any of them (usually the way it goes!)

mspeterson

Enlightened
I keep spare batteries all over the place.....

battcases.jpg

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work, my EDC is a Surefire L4. I wanted to be able to carry a spare pair of batteries, and stumbled across a belt holster at Cabelas that was designed to hold a small flashlight and a knife side by side in individual compartments. Well, 2 flashlights fit in there just as well, so now I carry the L4, and my trusty Inova X5 basically as a spares carrier. It's nice to have another light at my disposal, too.

const451

Newly Enlightened
I carry spare aa-aaa-123 batterys in my day pack.Figure I have most of the bases covered if I switch my EDC light around.It takes up very little room in the pack.

Dave, how do you carry them, do you have a box that fit all three type of batteries, or they are in separate boxes?

Burgess

Flashaholic
i carry a couple spare AA alkalines in my cell-phone holster.

Of course, i also carry an additional spare flashlight or two . . . .

:whistle:

_

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I am using a small cheap nylon pouch that came with some random tool or light, I forget... I have 1 123 primary, 1 L91, 1 L92 in there. Very very light, and plenty small enough to not be a problem in my cargos.

Sad part is, I have 5 flashlights in my pockets too...

ugrey

Enlightened
No spare batteries on me, but I do keep them in my briefcase and in a bag with me when traveling.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
My always on me - edc is a SL Microstream. I also usually throw an extra E2 lithium AAA bat in my pocket as well. I also keep extra 123a's in my car and an extra 17670 in my coat pocket....with my Tiablo MA6.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
I EDC an L1T, so I'm on AA instead of 123's but I use rechargables for everyday and carry a couple of lithium primaries for backup.

I don't know where he got it, nor have I ever seen them for sale on the website but the 2xAA nylon pouch works great and was a gift from David at the Fenix store.

-Greg