Flupic malfunctions - please log here

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I recently realized that I may not be the only one experiencing problems with the Flupic, an otherwise great circuit board used in many custom, limited run lights. I myself have/had three lights that use this board. However, I noticed that in two of the lights, the Flupic mechanism malfunctioned. The third light (Jil Intelli) I gave away as a gift so I do not know the status.

In order to fully assess the scale of this problem, I am asking all those who have encountered a Flupic-related problem to chime in here. The purpose of this process is not to knock the Flupic, which many of us know can turn a good light into a great one, but to define if there is a problem (maybe the issues are limited to a few lights only) and to find solutions and possible future fixes. Thanks for your participation.

Here are my lights with Flupic problems:

1. Firefly III (my favorite EDC light) by Dspeck. AFter about 1 year ownership, the light cannot change modes anymore. Luckily, I am locked in a mode that has low and maximum (which can be used in bursts). It also has strobe and SOS which I rarely use. Light levels can no longer be adjusted. As most know, Dspeck has been MIA so no support for this otherwise excellent light.

2. Draco by Modamag. after about 1 month, the preset low level became brighter than original lowest low. The middle level could be programmed to a level even dimmer than the first (preset low) level. Unfortunately, I lost my Draco before I was able to send it back for repair.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive never had a problem with fluic(owned 3).Maybe the + end of battery is not making contact with flupic,Ive read that adding a solder blob will make the contact between battery and board good again. HTH.
If not check the 2 solder contacts on the board itself,maybe one is not good/loose.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Paul, contacts are perfect. The light works, only the Flupic is not as it came. in other words, cannot change modes, cannot adjust light levels. for the FFIII, if it stays this way, I would not be terribly disappointed since I get low and max.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an all together different issue. I have 2 flupic E-screw LE and one has a bad habit of locking itself into lowest output. I can still change settings get it to strobe and everything even change modes all at lowest output. Batteries are good, contacts are clean. After taking the battery out and grounding the positive contact and all the traces to the LE body it goes back to normal operation.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an all together different issue. I have 2 flupic E-screw LE and one has a bad habit of locking itself into lowest output. I can still change settings get it to strobe and everything even change modes all at lowest output. Batteries are good, contacts are clean. After taking the battery out and grounding the positive contact and all the traces to the LE body it goes back to normal operation.

So your problem was a intermittent contact issue?

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My FFIII has the same error. I can not change UI´s anymore. I still can set brightness levels, but only one UI.

Alex

FFIII is such an awesome light. Alex, have you looked into getting the problem fixed?

There must be others out there with more knowlege about the Flupic malfunctions...:poke:

hawkz

Newly Enlightened
FFIII and Nuwai Q3

I've got issues with 2 of my flupic flashlights. Both have the same issue:
The FFIII and Nuwai Q3 both flicker from their current brightness levels. For example, if I'm in level 5, the light will flicker between a brighter and the current output level. I've cleaned the contacts, so I don't think that's the problem.
In addition, for the FFIII, sometimes, burst won't be the brightest level. Hitting the flashlight against my palm doesn't do jack either. I'm really sad as this is my SMOOTHEST flashlight and with the Seoul, is pretty damn bright.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FFIII and Nuwai Q3

I've got issues with 2 of my flupic flashlights. Both have the same issue:
The FFIII and Nuwai Q3 both flicker from their current brightness levels. For example, if I'm in level 5, the light will flicker between a brighter and the current output level. I've cleaned the contacts, so I don't think that's the problem.
In addition, for the FFIII, sometimes, burst won't be the brightest level. Hitting the flashlight against my palm doesn't do jack either. I'm really sad as this is my SMOOTHEST flashlight and with the Seoul, is pretty damn bright.

Hi Hawk,
I agree, the FFIII is very smooth, use it one-handed ALL the time. Doug, if you're listening, hope you come through and produce more of these!

Did the FFIII problem occur before or after the Seoul-mating. (btw, did you do this yourself?) Have you tried to consult anyone about this malfunction.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had like 5-6 flupic lights and never had an issue with any of them. I still own at least 4 of those and use them fairly regularly.

Since the FFIII is a twisty, is it possible that you are not sufficiently breaking contact to simulate a switch press? I would think this would result in other obvious issues if it was the case, but you might try to remove the head and apply power using a battery box or something direct to the contact points on the head to verify that it is indeed a converter issue.

schiesz

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had like 5-6 flupic lights and never had an issue with any of them. I still own at least 4 of those and use them fairly regularly.

Since the FFIII is a twisty, is it possible that you are not sufficiently breaking contact to simulate a switch press? I would think this would result in other obvious issues if it was the case, but you might try to remove the head and apply power using a battery box or something direct to the contact points on the head to verify that it is indeed a converter issue.

schiesz

On my FFIII, I can switch easily from: LOW - HIGH/BURST - SOS - STROBE. However, I cannot get to the set mode menu which is either the 5th or 8th level depending on which mode you are in. There is a very clear flicker that indicates the 800 ms that has passed locking you in the current level.

I would send my FFIII back to Doug if he were still active here. :mecry:

hawkz

Newly Enlightened

Hi Hawk,
I agree, the FFIII is very smooth, use it one-handed ALL the time. Doug, if you're listening, hope you come through and produce more of these!

Did the FFIII problem occur before or after the Seoul-mating. (btw, did you do this yourself?) Have you tried to consult anyone about this malfunction.

He he. I only had the FFIII for an hour before I modded it. It was actually bought from BST about a year and a half ago. The problem started about 6 months ago. I opened the light but couldn't find anything wrong or anything that looked bad. That's what frustrates me. The light, if it worked correctly, would be my all-time, kick-butt, favorite!

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there any support out there for Flupic problems?? Where could I send my FFIII and rest assured that it will return in one piece???

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
PM, or email the Flupic designer. My Flupic is acting up a little but that is probably because I have played with it so much and have moved to a different UI. I will have to go to my bookmarks and look up the Flupic programs. I get low, medium and high(burst), but high got reduced somehow. It used to be approximately 160 lumens (bounce with lightmeter comparison). My Flupic is setup in a First Run Arc LS, with good heatsink, Cree optic, and Cree Q2.

Bill

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill, your problem is exactly the type of issue I believe afflicts a certain group of Flupic lights. BTW, who is the Flupic designer and is he still active around here??

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Bill, your problem is exactly the type of issue I believe afflicts a certain group of Flupic lights. BTW, who is the Flupic designer and is he still active around here??

goldserve. He is semi active here recently. He has sold some flupic's to TNC. Bogus1 is handling them for TNC Products. See TNC Products forum on CPF.

Bill

More info. See this for all flupic UI.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88623

Bill

Last edited:

pmath

Newly Enlightened
I have built 27 3W Luxeon bicycle lights using Flupic as my controllers. A couple have given problems. Usually due to errors in my contruction - bad connections, things getting crossed up in tight spaces and, of course water in the works.

The only problem I have been able to trace to the cotnroller is that two of these (with boards from different batches) have dropped the first option from the interface. My intrerface is customised and strobe is the first hit. After some time these two boards would alaway start up on the second step (contstant high power). Going through the menu to reset the frquency of the flash has always fixed the problem.

My favourite "failure" was a friend who was packing up his bike at a group hotel after this year's Paris-Brest-Paris ride. He went inside leaving bike and gear on the ground (as everyone else was doing), and when he came back the PLITE had bee pinched! I replaced is for a good price! Is that a failure?

Peter