How do you change the lens in a Surefire 3P (old style 6P head).

Kraid

Enlightened
I ordered an AR coated UCL lens to replace the lexan one on my 3P, how do I change it out?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have no idea how you'll get the aftermarket window in but classic Lexan windows were push-in snap-fit so to remove it takes some force to un-snap-fit it. Normally you'd only do this when the Lexan window is already damaged so damaging it further by removing it shouldn't be an issue.

Kraid

Enlightened
Does that mean I'm stuck using a plastic lens in an age where AR coated glass is the norm?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that mean I'm stuck using a plastic lens in an age where AR coated glass is the norm?

Yep. There's no way to put a glass lens in an older SF head that used a Lexan window. Those windows were user replaceable: SF would send out a replacement Lexan window and instructions to pry out the old window (which usually melted from heat damage from the lamp) and force the new window in using a vise and a nickel. Enough force from the vise would pop the new one into place. It was a pain in the butt, though.

I'd suggest searching for a newer bezel w/a Pyrex window.

--dan

Kraid

Enlightened
Called Surefire today and they said they'd send me the new style with Pyrex lens. Sure made me a believer!