What do you guys think of the ORB LUMMI WEE?

Solar Powered Pickle

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking of purchasing one after I read this review:

http://www.cpfreviews.com/Orb-Wee-NS.php

What do you guys think of its practicality because the only thing holding me back is whether its more of a novelty flashlight than something really useful. The thing is really expensive if you opt for the silver or the titanium one.

Draven451

Enlightened
I think Lummi makes some very stylish and powerful lights in currently some of the smallest form factors available. I have been looking at Lummi now for a couple weeks and I have been interested in purchasing one myself.

Your question about is the Wee a novelty light or could it be useful will raise alot of different responses. What do you need in a flashlight? What are you going to use it for? Is a single output mode enough for your needs? Do you need the absolute smallest size and weight to output ratio available?

At 80 lumens the runtime on the Wee is only 15 minutes - at 25 lumens you get a runtime of 1.5hrs. If you consider how tiny the Wee is those runtimes on that tiny battery seem impressive.

Oh and :welcome:

jlomein

Enlightened
The Wee NS is a great light for the price. I had a Raw NS and can say Rob at Lummi does excellent work. The fit and finish are top notch.

That said, I did choose to buy the Modamag Drake over the Wee. After currency conversion, the chrome plated aluminum Drake ($145) is the same price as the Wee Ti (75GBP), which is definitely a bigger investment than the Wee NS. However, what you get is 3 modes of brightness (one mode programmable) instead of just 1, and it has a slimmer diameter overall (Wee's diameter gets larger at the tail end).

I wear the Drake everyday on a neck chain and couldn't be happier. It really comes down to personal preference (do multiple modes matter to you?) and how much you're willing to pay.

drakeresized.jpg

The sale thread of Modamag's Drake/Draco can be found here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166864

Last edited:

Solar Powered Pickle

Newly Enlightened
Jlomein thanks for the comparable information that thing looks awesome. I think I need to do some research between the two.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking of purchasing one after I read this review:

http://www.cpfreviews.com/Orb-Wee-NS.php

What do you guys think of its practicality because the only thing holding me back is whether its more of a novelty flashlight than something really useful. The thing is really expensive if you opt for the silver or the titanium one.

It's a useful light considering it has a rechargeable battery and that 50 lumen version lasts for half an hour which is incredible. 50 lumens at that size is very respectable. You could consider it as a novelty flashlight as well especially the 80 lumen version... it's got the WOW effect.

I dont have a 25 lumen version, but i estimate that it will last for more than a hour. If you compare this with standard MiniM@g 2AA light's 5 lumen and 1 hour runtime:naughty:, I believe you can decide rest for yourself :cool:

ViReN

scottaw

Enlightened
I just got a Wee last week for fairly cheap on BST, and although i haven't carried it yet, i just ordered a lanyard and im pretty sure i'll start carrying it hooked to a belt loop and tucked in a coin pocket. You can't imagine how tiny it is until you hold one, and it's solid as a rock and very bright (50lumen model) And straight from the manufacturer with professionally installed trits? can't go wrong there.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also consider that you can buy one Wee in the output level of your choice, say the 25 lumen one, the buy the 50 and 80 lumen "pills" separately allowing you to choose between the three output levels. Thinking you'll have to use the light for extended periods of time? Use the 25lm. Want to impress the hell out of everyone to whom you show the light? Pop in the 80lm and watch their disbelief. That kind of versatility makes me wonder why I don't have one already... :broke: :mecry:

txmatt

Enlightened
I've got a Wee NS and love it. It is on my keychain so it's always with me and is a huge step up in brightness and quality from the Photon it replaced, while being close to the same size. I did exactly as mentioned above and got all three pills. I bought the Wee 25 lumen and bought the other 2 pills. I haven't even tried the 80. Both the 25 and 50 are very usable. I've kinda settled on the 50 for now. I've yet to feel that I needed multi levels from this kind of light.

So yes, I would highly recommend the Wee.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wee makes a great EDC keychain light that you will always have with you. The 25 lumen will run for an hour and the battery is so small I carry a spare in my wallet.

25 lumen is brighter much brighter than other keychain lights such as the Arc AAA and to me is a much more useable level of light.

When you start ordering the higher power settings then the light becomes more of a niche use/showing of light because the run time are so short but at at £17 a pop for the higher power drop ins this is no bad.

I don't own a Drake or a Draco - but admire both lights (but my preference is the NS RAW over the Draco for reasons of styling, simple stage 2 stage and I like the heft of NS - I prefer it to Ti!).

I don't think you could go wrong buying off Modamag or Rob - both great lights and service:thumbsup: and both come highly recommended - just a case of waying up which specs suit you best.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
It's the Buy/Sell/Trade forum on the CPF MarketPlace which you can reach at the top of this page. It does require a separate registration though.

scottaw

Enlightened
What he said....just go to the bottom of the cpf page and you'll find it. I buy almost all my lights there, i figure I don't buy shelf queens so a used light is perfect for me.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the Wee is available in three brightness levels. It only lasts 15 minutes in the highest, which means the cell is seeing something like 3 to 4C... a bit too much for such a tiny little thing, IMO.
The half-hour level is better, but just how bright is the lowest level (the one that lasts a hour and a half)? Compared to, say, a fresh Fauxton?

txmatt

Enlightened
This is completely from memory and based more on impression than back-to-back comparison, but I'd say that the 25 lumen version is approximately as "bright" as the hotspot of my Arc AAAp (with Nichia CS). The Wii has a very smooth, floody beam with a tiny bit of a hotspot, but for the most part it's a smooth wash of light. So while it may be on par with an Arc AAA/fauxton for peak luminance, that same brightness is available across a very large, floody beam. I think the Wii has an even larger flood than the Arc AAAp does, and the Arc always impressed me with its floody beam. The Wii also has a very nice tint, no blue like the 5mm LED's have.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did exactly as mentioned above and got all three pills. I bought the Wee 25 lumen and bought the other 2 pills.
How much are the single pills, and where do you get them? I'm looking at the Lummi site but can't find them anywhere.
Thanks.

X Racer

Enlightened
Excellent lights... I carry a Raw NS in my watch pocket and a Wee on my Titanium necklace.

The Wee is a great light that is super useful with the 50 Lumen pill. Plenty of floody light for anything short of spotting stuff in the distance outdoors. It's about as useful as they come, and is probably the most used light in my large collection of custom lights.

It's super easy to carry so it is always with you, it's rechargeable, it's classy, it's bright, etc...

Fit and finish is top notch on all Rob's lights. I have far more expensive lights, but I love my Lummis...