Advice needed - best 2AA LED light????

plasmaman

Enlightened
I need to find the best performing, stock 2 x AA LED light that's currently available - so I figured you guys will know!
On my short list at the moment is
Fenix L2D CE Cree Q5
Ultrafire WF 606A (SKU 4238)

As you see - its a short list! It must be 2 x AA, LED and a stock item.

Any more suggestions???

Thanks for helping.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take L2D Q5, it is much brighter than wf-606A and has better build quality and more efficient electronic.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I think the question becomes, what do you want to do with your light?
  • The Fenix has multiple levels, the Ultrafire does not.
  • The Ultrafire has an adjustable throw, the Fenix is fixed.
  • The Fenix has HAIII, where the Ultrafire only has a level 2 finish.
  • The Fenix costs 2.5x what the Ultrafire costs.
Personally, for what I want a 2AA light for, I'd rather have 2 Ultrafires than 1 Fenix. I am a Fenix owner and an Ultrafire owner. I think the Ultrafire is a great buy for what it is. The quality is very good on the 606A, but that is not always the case with their other light models. I would put the 606A at M@g levels. The Fenix is a cut above that, but again you are paying for it.

Depending on what you want the light to do, you can't go wrong either way.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want best performing and stock, the L2D-CE Q5 would be your choice. If money is no object, then a custom light might be considered stock.

Do you want a forward clickie?

plasmaman

Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys - the specification is to fulfil a govt dept requirement, so a custom of any sort is not possible.
Reliability and build quality are the key issues, although I expect price may figure too!
They both look promising.
John

Thanks for the input guys - the specification is to fulfil a govt dept requirement, so a custom of any sort is not possible.
Reliability and build quality are the key issues, although I expect price may figure too!
They both look promising.
John

The Fenix do not operate too long at maximum performance unless you use NiMH rechargeable.

Not sure about the other one. If you want super high output and AA, you have to use NiMH though.

Do you require 2 x AA alkaline? then you'll have to compromise on output or significantly on runtime.

Do you need the light to meet UK RoHS SI 2005 2748 regulations?

Yes - quite possibly. What are the issues - are there any lights that can comply?
John

I would imagine so, considering it's a government purchase and all.

The issue is that RoHS certified means the product is free of toxic materials who's use have been banned for general products(TVs, computers, flashlights, stereos, you name it...) in countries that adopts the RoHS program, UK being one of them.

Lights not marketed for sale in EU nations and UK are probably not certified. Ask Fenix if they can produce a RoHS certificate before you place that order. If you import something that wasn't specifically meant for the EU market, there's a great chance they won't comply.

Last edited:

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Plasmaman, I own both lights. I just bought both lights within the last 3 weeks. Both the WF-606A and the Fenix are great lights. Of course the Fenix is more expensive and has more features. Being completely non-technical( I have to because most people on this site are much more technical and knowledgable than me) The WF-606A is an excellent light for the money if you only need one light level. It is built good, looks and feels solid and throws a nice beam for a 2AA light. PLUS ITS A GREAT BUY FOR THE MONEY! You can buy 3 of these for the price of the Fenix! So, if money is an important issue, the WF-606A might be the best light for you. If, Uncle Sam is footing the bill, or you want mulitple modes and levels, plus the brightest and highest quality light, the Fenix is the best 2AA for you. If you are not sure, do like I did, BUY BOTH and find out first hand which one you like! Ken

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are looking at the WF-606, also look at the RC-N3. Forward clickie, has a clip, and is cheaper. It is a bit dimmer though.

henry33

Newly Enlightened
For government purposes, I suggest you just go with whatever Fenix model that others here have suggested. I'm not a big fan of the 4238, I think I have one, the head isn't that good. Also I've noticed that about 1/2 of the lights I've gotten from DX have eventually failed. I had two 18650 lights, one of them the switch went bad. Also had several CR123 lights, most of the would flicker and then eventually die. Also have the C3 which worked great for about 9 months and it just died. Also have some Ultrafire 602Ds and only one of them works, the other 2 flicker or work once in a while. On the flip side, I've had a couple of them disappear on me which the only good part was that I didn't pay that much for them. I think I either lent them to people and never got them back or the fell out of my pockets somehow. My C3 was my favorite, but I just went back to my old Fenix L2T because it still works. Didn't like the 606 because the big bulb in the head makes it harder to fit in your pocket.

Anyway the only reason I have so many is that I'm a real estate broker and they come in handy when showing a house that doesn't have any power. Lots of foreclosures are like that and sometimes there's a big family of people looking.