a little help with lumins please

Cmd_Bash

Newly Enlightened
hello, i purchased a fenix a penix Q5 PID CE
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=354
i'm just a little worried that somthing might be wrong with it,

its says that the med. and high settings are 95lumins and 180 lumins respectively, but i don't seem to see a very noticeable difference between the two settings if i were to guage it by eye i'd say that the high setting is roughly 20% brighter then the mid. setting. i havn't read anything that suggest that brightness is on some inverse logarithmic scale, so i just found it concerning.

i'm useing the supplied panasonic lithium battery.

i have nothing to compare to and little knowlege of flashlights. it very well may be a trick with my iris, but if anyone could give their two bits, i'd apreciate it :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
its says that the med. and high settings are 95lumins and 180 lumins respectively, but i don't seem to see a very noticeable difference between the two settings if i were to guage it by eye i'd say that the high setting is roughly 20% brighter then the mid. setting. i havn't read anything that suggest that brightness is on some inverse logarithmic scale, so i just found it concerning.

firstly, yes brightness IS in fact logarithmic, it need to be 4 times as bright to be seen as twice as bright. Heres something you can try, point it at the ceiling in a dark room, and try your med mode, then try your high. You will notice the ambient reflected light in the room to be brighter on high.

good buy on the P1D-Q5, it really is a fantastic little pocket rocket...:) *hint, check out my Sigline Picture...

and by the way, it lumEns...
show some respect for light itself:mad:.. .:nana: joking...:twothumbs
:thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

Yes, it takes about 4x the light for one light to seem 2x brighter then the other.

I hope you like the light!

Cmd_Bash

Newly Enlightened
k, thx for your help all, i wasn't actually aware of the log scale, thx:D

ps. yes, i do like the light, sure beats the canadian tire one it replaced