Best 2AAA led light ?

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

within a few weeks I will be going to Africa (Cameroon) again. My most comprehensive planning concerns the lights to take with me :whistle:.

Aside from 2 ARC AAA models (DS and turquoise) and my Peak Mediterranean (old luxeon) (2AA and 1 RCR123 battery housings) I will need a compact mid-powered flashlight that is not heavy to carry in my trousers. I figure a 2AAA will be ideal.

I have, of course, several:

- Inova Bolt 2AAA
- Streamlight Stylus Pro
- Peak Pacific 2AAA (luxeon)
- Maglite Minimag 2AAA TLE-20

Making a choice between these is hard (and killing me :caution:)
Which one would you take ? I like a well regulated and robust light.
Theoretically the Peak is the best but quite long...

Are there any others I should consider ?
I really wished Fenix would make a 2AAA model, something like a downsized L2P or L2D...

Thanks for any advise,

Joris

PS: my wife will be taking 2 ARC AAA (blue and CS) and her 2 Peaks McKinley (aluminium HP white and brass HP red). And, maybe, a Fenix L2D RB100.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Of those listed I would take the Peak. The Streamlight is easier to operate with one hand, but it will come on and drain the batteries inside a pocket in my experience.
I hope you also have a couple of good headlights.

whitecloud

Newly Enlightened
fyi--

I've had two Stylus Pro tail switch failures. The first after a week and the second approximately 10 weeks later under low duty. As a result I don't have faith in this light for back country trips. In both cases though, the switch did continue to work as a momentary switch.

Run time is nice.... I measured 9 hours on aaa 1000mah NiMh Energizers.

Stainz

Enlightened
I know it's old technology - and the light is blue tinted - but I really like the el-cheapo Nuwai/River Rock TM-311X 2xAAA .5W light sold at Target for $9.99. The light is considerably brighter than my 2nd Gen X1. The run time is long - and they work fine from Li AAAs. The build quality is very good - and they have a clip that can be removed, if so desired. Several of these - and some Energizer Li AAAs - would be a lot less than a single 'good one'. Try one - <$11 with s/t at Target - including batteies.

John

cv3po

Banned
I wouldn't limit yourself to one battery choice. Take a look at this light: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_50&products_id=334

It is a simple, two-mode light that is really bright on high and pretty bright on low (with 15 hour runtime) off of a single AA batt. It is quite small and will easily fit into a pocket. Check around on the forums, this one has rec'd some good reviews...........................Good luck and enjoy your trip to the home of humanity

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I haven't actually held the Stylus Pro, I am in love with it's younger brother, the Microstream. It takes 1 AAA for a run time of about 1.5 to 2 hrs. I have been EDCing this since the beginning of Nov. 07 and love it. It is about the same size and shape as the ball point I carry beside it in my shirt pocket. It is just bright enough to be great for close-up work, yet still throws far enough to be useful outside as well. It's also light enough that you can hold it in your mouth for a while without problems for that "third hand". The only thing I don't like is that there is very little warning at the end of the battery. It starts to appear to be a little dimmer, then poof, it turns off. In your case I would say get one of those four cell battery holders for about $5 that keep the fresh cells handy without any possibility of shorting them out. I could easily see using the Stylus Pro for trekking, etc. and keeping the Microstream in a pocket for those "gotta have a light" moments. YMMV