e1b + kl4 ?

bouncer

Enlightened
Has anyone tried the kl4 on a e1b? It should make a cool tw4. Does two stage work well ? Would love to see some pics if anyone has tried it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I guess you'd want a Black KL4 (from the ScoutLight).

Remember that the E1B's bezel features the electronic swithing between outputs. The E1B's TailCap is an ordinary clickie.

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
I'm thinking about picking up a KL4 head for an E1e body I have lying around. What do you guys say, should I bother with it or rather get a new KX1?
Unfortunately I couldn't find reliable information for runtime, output and regulation for running a KL4 on 1x123! Anybody know where I could find this info? Thanks!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey,
I'm thinking about picking up a KL4 head for an E1e body I have lying around. What do you guys say, should I bother with it or rather get a new KX1?
Unfortunately I couldn't find reliable information for runtime, output and regulation for running a KL4 on 1x123! Anybody know where I could find this info? Thanks!

The KL4 will give you a wall-o-light kind of beam pattern, as opposed to the optic beam pattern in the KX1. Different heads for different purposes. Plus, the new KX1 won't be as bright as using the KL4 with a rechargeable battery...and the KX1 head won't accept rechargeables.

I think the KL4 on an E1e body (aka TW4) will output nearly 100 lumen on the RCR123.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here my TW4D...as I call it.

003-1.jpg

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened
The KL4 will give you a wall-o-light kind of beam pattern, as opposed to the optic beam pattern in the KX1. Different heads for different purposes. Plus, the new KX1 won't be as bright as using the KL4 with a rechargeable battery...and the KX1 head won't accept rechargeables.
I think the KL4 on an E1e body (aka TW4) will output nearly 100 lumen on the RCR123.

Is the TW4 generally able to run off regular 123 primaries (no rechargeables) with good results?

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I put the my KL4 from my L4 on it and I does work but is severely underdriven and Id say puts out maybe 30 lumens. Id say get a new KX1 if you want a dedicated one cell setup.

-Evan

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I put the my KL4 from my 4 on it and I does work but is severely underdriven and Id say puts out maybe 30 lumens. Id say get a new KX1 if you want a dedicated one cell setup.

-Evan

Not every KL4 head had the ability to use a 1x123 primary. I've been fortunate enough where all of mine are very bright and has a low enough Vf to handle 1x123 primaries.

Using rechargeables - no issue at all!

-Steve

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Not every KL4 head had the ability to use a 1x123 primary. I've been fortunate enough where all of mine are very bright and has a low enough Vf to handle 1x123 primaries.

-Steve

Well I was unsure it would even work with only have the right Vf going to a power hungry Lux V. On another note though I decided to grow a pair and I stuck my E1B head on my L4 body. I was very surprised but it actually overdrives it nicely. I only had it on for a couple minutes but the output must have jumped to 120+ lumens and it was icey white. I am not reccomending this as mine was most likely a fluke to be able to accept that voltage and after letting it run on it's one cell body for a full cycle on high and low, no damage at all. I even checked for that brown burnt die color on the LED itself and there was nothing, all is good!;)

NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU FRYING YOUR HEAD FOR TRYING THIS, IT WAS A ONE TIME THING FOR ME AND IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN, EVER :whistle:

-Evan

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be crazy here BUT. I am not sure that Vf has that much to do with the fact that your kl4's run brighter.
I don't think I have seen any LUX V bind which are as low as the 3.5 to 4 volts that would be L in terms of voltage.
I seem to remember that ALL of the LUX V emitters had somewhat higher Vfs.
I also have a few of these KL4's (love"em) I think the fact that they respond to the 3.6 volts of a rcr123 has more to do with the driver boards dealing with the low voltage better. going into a semi Regulation.
Again I am possibly wrong here.
One of the strange things about the ability of the kl4 working on 3.6 volts was/is the randomness of it. Some worked great some did not. Surefire must go these emitters in reels. Why would there be such wide variations. I found this to be true with the tints as well. I spent a year attempting to match 2 kl4's what an ordeal.

The little light shown above a few posts looks trick. The Black Kl4 is really beautiful. I have so many natural KL4's not a single black one.
The E1B is a great little flashlight. I traded away my L1 flashlight for an A2 recently. I replaced the l1 with a e1B and haven't looked back for one second. Anyway you look at it Surefire makes some damn cool lights.
I love all of my kl4's too.
Oh the horror when will it stop?:broke:
Yaesumofo

-Steve