LOD Q4 or OLight T10 (but, not Q5)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I know these are two very different lights. The LOD takes AAA, the T10 CR123a, and the LOD is much smaller.

I've got a gift certificate for Lighthound, and now, for about $20, I could now pick up either of these lights, both of which I've been interested in but were previously over my budget.

Both have multiple levels, which I want. I'd be happy with just a high and a LOW low, but lights with only 2 levels seem hard to find, though I am aware of the LM31. They both have long regulated runtimes on low, the T10 almost unbelievably long. The LOD Q4 would make a great small EDC light, T10 is spec'ed to be considerably brighter, even in the version without the Q5. Either of these lights will spend 95% of its working life sitting in my pocket, drawer, pack, or vehicle, and only occasionally come out for use (except just to play with, of course.) Battery choice isn't much of an issue for me, as I'd run the LOD on L92s and the T10 on CR123a primaries, which doesn't work out to much of a cost difference, particularly with the T10s spec'd runtimes.

So if I decide to buy one light with my gift cert, which should I get? I was actually thning about a Fenix L1T v2.0, which now would cost me twice as much as I would have to pay for the LOD or T10. (We should all have such quandaries to deal with.) So I'm seriously thinking about the LOD and T10 now. How do the two lights compare in terms of quality and durability, beem profile, and tint? Any other more subjective factors to consider? The UIs are different, is either particular troublesome, or annoying? If you own one or both of these lights, what's your biggest gripe about either of them?

I have done a search, and read what I could find on the LOD Q4, but most all the talk on the board about the T10 seems to be about the Q5 version, and not the earlier version with a Cree LED (is it a Q2 bin?)...and I don't know if I'd even be able to tell the difference. What I'm really looking for is thoughts about which one you like better, which is more of a subjective thing.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I have the Olight T10 non-Q5. I'm not sure what bin it is, but it is very bright. It was my main EDC before getting a NovaTac and I still carry it depending on the situation I expect to be in.
I like the UI, since you never have to go through strobe or SOS but they can be instantly activated with one hand. The level memory is also nice.
Operation of levels is smooth and there is a noticeable difference in all 5 when using a primary lithium, which is all that I've run in it.
The spill and throw are both good due to the two-surface reflector.
Tint on mine is somewhat blue white (also on my T20Q5), but since I hate green and I'm not that fond of warm-white, I'm very happy with it.
The switch resistance is pretty stiff but seems very solid. My only complaint has been no actual blinking low battery warning. You only have a few seconds to dial down to a lower level before it gives out completely.
I don't have an L0D, but I do have an L0P and two E1's so I'm familiar with the size. They are quite a bit smaller, but for a main EDC I'd rather have the Olight. I've been debating getting an L0D Q4, but I think there is more of a tint lottery with Fenix versus Olight and I haven't ordered one yet.

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
From your description (you seek an EDC that will stay in your pockets most of the time), take the L0D Q4.
The size difference is much bigger than the brightness difference (and the thick CR123 lights are a much worse fit for coin-pockets and the like).

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your description (you seek an EDC that will stay in your pockets most of the time), take the L0D Q4.
The size difference is much bigger than the brightness difference (and the thick CR123 lights are a much worse fit for coin-pockets and the like).

Is the T10 substantially larger than a Fenix L1P? I have one of those, and the size is fine. I'd just like something a good deal brighter on 'high.' I'm a big guy; the L1P is just fine in jeans and jacket pockets.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD Q4 is a fantastic little light that is easy to carry unnoticed - that way it can be with you at all times. It satisfies almost all of your typical lighting needs with its available output levels. It can run a pretty long time on the low level and probably around 4 hours at the medium level on an Energizer lithium cell (and medium output is probably more light than what an old 2D light was). Great for most all typical tasks.

A bigger light will offer loger runtime at high output - you have to ask yourself how often you need that much light for a long time (maybe camping).

sabre7

Enlightened
I have both the Olight t10 q5 and L0D q4. The t10 is only 1/2in longer than the L0D, and the t10q5 is brighter than the L0Dq4 on all levels, with much more throw & runtime. The q4 is a screamer for AAA size though.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both awesome lights! T10 has a lot more throw and tighter spot and IMO is more versatile if size isn't an issue and it's not big at all but of course bigger than the LOD. I think the LOD needs the 10440 to really shine though. PWM is an issue for some on the LOD.
L1P is probably very close to the T10 in size with the T10 being just a very slight bit larger in diameter and likely a little shorter.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably shouldn't even be considering this, since I'll be a good deal over my $20 out-of-pocket self-imposed budget, but how does the T10 (not Q5) compare to the Fenix L1D CE in quality and UI? The L1D seems a closer analog to the T10, and UI seems more like my L1P (which I really like). While I'm impressed with all I've heard of the LOD CE, I've seen a bunch of pics of it with other lights, and it's so small, I think I'm going to actually find it a bit awkward to use, since I've found an L1P, and even a Huntlight FT-02X to be just the right size to handle carry around (thought the L1P works much better in jeans.)

I've heard though, that the OLights are a bit better made than the Fenix, so is there any reason to spend more for an L1D CE instead of the T10? I'm pretty much thinking now that I should just grab the T10 and run. The only thing about the T10 that I'm not sure about is whether the UI is going to be to funky (complicated) for me...I like basic stuff.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the T10 to be very easy to use. I'm going to say it's about as easy as it can be with a light that has 5 levels of brightness, Strobe and SOS. And for those who don't think they'll use SOS or even strobe they are something that does not get in the way at all when switching levels. Click on and you have solid light - quick easy twist to lower one level, again for a lower level and so on. Turn off and it then comes back on at that level every time. Want strobe? Turn on then press part way in and release - Strobe! The only thing that is keeping me from using this as my primary EDC is I have a Novatac. Also my Nitecore DI has a forward clicky so it's going to be a good contender for my primary EDC if I don't have the Novatac. Other than those two much more expensive lights the Olight T10 is one of my favorites. It does not suffer some of the problems of Fenix (like bright flash when turning on) - Fenix does have a lot of nice lights but I really think they need to fix a couple issues. IMO the Olight could only be improved by having a forward clickie.

Last edited:

cv3po

Banned
The only thing about the T10 that I'm not sure about is whether the UI is going to be to funky (complicated) for me...I like basic stuff.

I'm the same way. That is why I like the LOD Q4. In another thread, I see that you can fit the LOD head on a Streamlight Microstream body http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_MicroStream_LED_Flashlight.php

for a forward tail clickie on an LOD platform. This still allows the use (at your own risk) of 10440 cells for high output for an hour as the first level.
Since the head controls the functions this should be a pretty sturdy setup. I have a Mocrostream inbound and will find out then but the LOD UI has thus-far proven to be ultra reliable. Programmable lights still give me the willies :sick2:.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Is the T10 substantially larger than a Fenix L1P? I have one of those, and the size is fine. I'd just like something a good deal brighter on 'high.' I'm a big guy; the L1P is just fine in jeans and jacket pockets.
Any CR123 light will be nearly twice as thick as an AAA light.
For me, thats a very sigificant difference.
I could care less about lenght, though (Fenix should make a 2*AAA light. It would fit perfectly into shirt pockets).

kooter

Enlightened
Personally i prefer the LOD running on 10440s. The Olight does have more throw, but the LOD seems just as bright, and is just so pocketable. :thumbsup:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Its hard to believe the amount of light coming out of the LOD-Q4 on
10440's on high. Easily 150 lumens.

On medium with 10440's the output is still highly impressive without
the light becoming too hot quickly.

I'm very impressed with this little guy!