Streamlight Nano-pretty neat little light

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else purchased a Streamlight Nano?

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=141

I don't know if they are new or not, but I haven't heard anyone talk about them and I couldn't find anything with the search.

I picked one up the other day and it is a neat little light. Brighter than the fauxtons and has better throw. Smaller too. Of course it costs a lot more ($5-7) than the fauxton ($.47)...:grin2:

scottaw

Enlightened
Seems cool except it takes 4 button cells, argh. Groundhog modded one to take a 23A (garage door opener) battery, I'll take one if i can run a 10180 in it.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Seems cool except it takes 4 button cells, argh. Groundhog modded one to take a 23A (garage door opener) battery, I'll take one if i can run a 10180 in it.

Is this the same light as the one I found (when I searched CPF) called a "nano-mate"? Because I thought this one was different than the pic of what I saw in the thread.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
From what I can find, the diameter of an LR41 battery is 7.9mm. That's pretty small.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
I bought two of these a while back and all I've got to say is... WOW! These are by far the brightest compact single 5mm LED lights I've had, and I've had a bunch of them. While cell price (and yes, there are 4 of them) and run time may be an issue, it's not like this thing is designed to be a duty or primary EDC light.

For size, build quality, and brightness - this little thing can't be beat. And the price is reasonable to boot!

cv3po

Banned
I bought two of these a while back and all I've got to say is... WOW! These are by far the brightest compact single 5mm LED lights I've had, and I've had a bunch of them. While cell price (and yes, there are 4 of them) and run time may be an issue, it's not like this thing is designed to be a duty or primary EDC light. For size, build quality, and brightness - this little thing can't be beat. And the price is reasonable to boot!

If you're including the new Photon II with DS bulb then I'll just HAVE to get a nano. My new Photon with DS was so overly bright for a keychain light that I swapped out the 2-2016's (6V) for a 2032 batt (3V). and it's STILL really bright. I'd like to know what bulb is used in the nano and maybe see a runtime chart. The batteries used in the nano are alkaline correct? Do they make lithium batts in that size? As far as I know tiny alkaline cells fairly suck

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
OK, I just compared my Nano with a Photon II that I've had for about 6 months (that has seen very limited use on my wife's key chain), and it's significantly brighter based on its throw. The Photon's beam is quite a bit more flood like whereas the Nano beam has a more pronounced hot spot. Strange but true considering they are both just unreflected 5mm LEDs.

Another observation from the comparison - I thought the tint of the Nano was fairly blue (which I like), but it actually looks more violet compared to the Photon.

As to the batteries, it uses 4 x LR41, and to the best of my knowledge, only alkalines are available in that size.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the same light as the one I found (when I searched CPF) called a "nano-mate"? Because I thought this one was different than the pic of what I saw in the thread.

Nope, the one you probably found on CPF was a modified SL Key-mate, which is similar to this one, but looks more like a regular flashlight. I think the Nano-Mate was a Lambda mod. I think he made some with Lux I's, too, but not too many, because of the difficulty of the mod. If it were possible, I'd like to get my hands on one of these modded with a Seoul or Cree.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
Nope, the one you probably found on CPF was a modified SL Key-mate, which is similar to this one, but looks more like a regular flashlight. I think the Nano-Mate was a Lambda mod. I think he made some with Lux I's, too, but not too many, because of the difficulty of the mod. If it were possible, I'd like to get my hands on one of these modded with a Seoul or Cree.

That is what I thought. I think these are fairly new.