SureFire L1 (cree) shows greenish hue in light output

mystgicus

Newly Enlightened
When I activated the light in low beam option, there is a significant greenish hue in the light; the high beam also shows this, but the hue is less apparant. I thought Cree LEDs were renowned for ther "purity" over the LS LEDs, is this just me or is it SureFire's fault? Can I ask them for a replacement? (I live in Hong Kong at the moment, so waiting for shipping may be a headache...)

Zenster

Enlightened
The L1 I bought new about a month ago is very white on both settings.
If yours looks notable off color, ask for a replacement.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mystgicus, :welcome:

As you can find in several threads on the new SF lights the tint of CREE LED's can vary from white to green, look for example here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2248091

before you ask for a replacement spending time and money I suggest you check that in real life this greenish tint does not matter at all. It is apparent only when you chase white walls. Some people even say that a 'warm' tint gives a better color rendering. I am not even sure that SF will replace the flashlight on this ground.

Just for your information most Luxeon Rebel LED's feature a greenish tint and people are happy with them.

mystgicus

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mystgicus, :welcome:

As you can find in several threads on the new SF lights the tint of CREE LED's can vary from white to green, look for example here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2248091

before you ask for a replacement spending time and money I suggest you check that in real life this greenish tint does not matter at all. It is apparent only when you chase white walls. Some people even say that a 'warm' tint gives a better color rendering. I am not even sure that SF will replace the flashlight on this ground.

Just for your information most Luxeon Rebel LED's feature a greenish tint and people are happy with them.

Thanks Kilovolt, the thread you gave me really helps! It let me realise my L1 wasn't the black sheep after all. I suppose I can live with it after some getting used to, I mean as you have mentioned, it is a waste of time and money picking on the slight off color LED:)

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Kilovolt, the thread you gave me really helps! It let me realise my L1 wasn't the black sheep after all. I suppose I can live with it after some getting used to, I mean as you have mentioned, it is a waste of time and money picking on the slight off color LED:)

Get an incandescent light. After you use it a bit, your L1 will look blueish! ;) This is what happened to me. My L1 is greenish and the original that I had to send back for replacement was also greenish. With normal use you'll not notice it.

mystgicus

Newly Enlightened
Get an incandescent light. After you use it a bit, your L1 will look blueish! ;) This is what happened to me. My L1 is greenish and the original that I had to send back for replacement was also greenish. With normal use you'll not notice it.

I have a G3, but its runtime is way too short, and I really dun need that much lumens... so that's why I turned to the L1:twothumbs