Fenix T1

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have one that has been used for a while? Any problems?
I don't see any warning about leaving it on Turbo like some others, is this a potential problem?
Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There is enough heatsinking so you probably won't have to worry about heat even in an area at a high temperature. Someone even baked the T1 and it still worked fine.

It's main weakness seems to be the switch, but the ones that have failed failed in lights that were specifically sent for abusing.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
When he says "main weakness", it's not really a problem. The switch was the first thing to fail after it was dropped a lot of times- worry about the concrete you're dropping it on, rather than the light!

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I've let mine sit in candle mode on Turbo for the duration of the battery charge...which is about 1/2hr on RCR's, and it get pretty warm to hold...but not unbearable. I've done this about 3 or 4 times...and it still works fine. I try to drain my batteries like this before I switch them to the charger and grab a fresh pair.

Switch works fine...sometimes it can look like the switch is failing when all it is is the head and body came unsrewed a little bit or the tail cap and body came unscrewed a bit.

I have not abused mine so I expect it to work as intended. :party:

BTW, overall, this light is great. Very bright in Turbo mode and it looks good too. Has a nice heft to it which suits it just fine. I removed the clip because it didn't feel right in my hand.
f_FenixT1007m_184934d.jpg

f_Lighttest01m_cdfa7c0.jpg

Beamshot on Normal mode...on the right...5 ft from wall.
f_slim008m_25205c3.jpg

f_BlackT1011m_5667e12.jpg

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
which is about 1/2hr on RCR's,
I would take a DMM and check current draw
- because if these batts were ok (and about the 750 mAh they should be), that would make a draw of 1.5 A,
whereas the light should eat some 450-500 mA maximum on turbo.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I would take a DMM and check current draw
- because if these batts were ok (and about the 750 mAh they should be), that would make a draw of 1.5 A,
whereas the light should eat some 450-500 mA maximum on turbo.

You just spoke in another language...

So how long should it run on these batteries...if they were 'ok'?

mighty82

Enlightened
I've let mine sit in candle mode on Turbo for the duration of the battery charge...which is about 1/2hr on RCR's, and it get pretty warm to hold...but not unbearable. I've done this about 3 or 4 times...and it still works fine. I try to drain my batteries like this before I switch them to the charger and grab a fresh pair.
Draining lithium batteries like that will severely shorten their runtime. Lithium batteries are not like nimh/nicd in that way. The less discharged they are when you charge them, the more cycles you get. If you charge them half way down you only use a "half cycle".

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the T1. It is as bright overall as any led I have had. It offers a forward switch with 2 levels of light output. I just bought a Surefire 6PL (with the P60 led) and it did not even compare to the T1 in brightness and color rendition...and the 6PL was $20 more. I think the T1 is a winner.

Here is a picture of the T1 on high.
2267696689_4c488327e8.jpg

Here is a picture of the SF 6PL (p60 led)
2267696229_a1fa90aba7.jpg

The T1 is much brighter and whiter. Plus gives you two levels in a tought package. Not much more you could ask for for less than $70.
icon14.gif

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Draining lithium batteries like that will severely shorten their runtime. Lithium batteries are not like nimh/nicd in that way. The less discharged they are when you charge them, the more cycles you get. If you charge them half way down you only use a "half cycle".

Thanks for the input.

But what about the current draw you mentioned? Should I be getting more than 1/2hr output on turbo?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
But what about the current draw you mentioned? Should I be getting more than 1/2hr output on turbo?

Your batteries are the LiFePO4 "Safe" lithium chemistry. Sounds like they're working just fine the way you described (you don't need to "drain" them before recharging though.)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc375reliba.html

The 900mah Tenergy rechargeable is the one with the protection circuit board built in and all the extra fun and games.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html

Last edited:

jlomein

Enlightened
I removed the clip because it didn't feel right in my hand.

From your picture, it looks like you removed the clip completely instead of just cutting it off. Was it difficult? I was going to buy a Fenix T1 from the fenix store but they are sold out of the clipless version right now. I was debating if I could easily remove it myself without damaging the flashlight.

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
There is enough heatsinking so you probably won't have to worry about heat even in an area at a high temperature. Someone even baked the T1 and it still worked fine.

It's main weakness seems to be the switch, but the ones that have failed failed in lights that were specifically sent for abusing.

I was thinking the same thing about the heatsinking and the larger surface area.

My switch failed in a in a couple of days, while I was playing with it. But, the service from the Fenix store is fantastic. I think with a new switch I will be in good shape.

Thanks to all. :twothumbs

I had a frustrating day I baked a brand new L2D P100 with a cheap battery the next day. I knew about cheap batteries, but I tried it anyway. Not a fault of the light, my fault (I think).:mecry:Ka-boom.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your picture, it looks like you removed the clip completely instead of just cutting it off. Was it difficult? I was going to buy a Fenix T1 from the fenix store but they are sold out of the clipless version right now. I was debating if I could easily remove it myself without damaging the flashlight.
Totally luck. I removed mine just by twisting with my hand, but others had to resort to vice grip, and there are those who couldn't get it off at all.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

It was not difficult at all. I just soaked it by letting it stand head down in hot tap water, and that softened the loctite. I put on a pair of rubber kitchen cleaning gloves(which helped me get a good grip and kept my hand from getting too hot), and with a towel covering the clip so it didn't tear into my hand, I turned really hard and it broke loose. Some of the anodizing was scratched...but it wasn't bad.

If I could do it again, I'd cover the clip in electircal tape so it didn't rub the body while I cranked the head off.

Anyways, the clip came off with a 'spring' and once the loctite was cleaned off of the threads, it went right back together.

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
For the record,

My new switch is in the light, and works great. The spring actually rings a little when it slams the switch home. The other switch never did that.

The Fenix store was fantastic! Email answers fast, shipping fast, priority mail used etc. I'm a very happy camper. :D

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
About two weeks later now......

I have used my T1 every day. This is a fantastic light. The throw and the spill are excellent. Also the Fenix store read my thread about the L2D P100
and said to send it to them. They cleaned it and returned it super fast. It's fine now, but I must admit, the T1 has me spoiled. I email the Fenix store one day, the next morning there is a reply in my email !! They cleaned the L2D P100 the day they got it, I think. I feel confident about the Fenix store taking care of anything that happens, very quickly. But,I do not expect any problems at all. When someone says the T1 is built like a tank they are not kidding. I don't think I could ever accidentally break it. I don't plan on shooting it with a 30-06, or lowering it to the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean. I'm not going to bake it in the oven either, so it probably will outlast me. I guess it has to go in my will. Be nice to me and I will consider leaving to you. :laughing:

kwkarth

Enlightened
I got my T1 today. I am very impressed!
The T1 handily outshines and out-throws
my Surefire C3!

nitric

Newly Enlightened
i am still waiting for my clipless T1 to reach me. seems to me i managed to order one of the last few of those clipless T1. i wonder if fenix is making another run for the clipless ones or not.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I had no problem removing the clip from mine. I just gave the head a little twist, unscrewed it, removed the clip, and put it back together again.