Choosing Between These Pocket Lights

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
I'm torn between the following lights. My biggest concerns are:

* The reliability of the clicky switch.
* The workmanship of the tube threads.
* Actual lumen output being very close to the numbers advertised.

1. Jetbeam - MKII.R

2. Jetbeam - Jet I Pro

3. Nitecore Defender Infinity

3. Fenix P1D CE Premium Q5

4. Fenix P2D Premium 100

jugg2

Enlightened
Out of those lights I only own the P2D, and mine has the RB80 LED. It is a great little light though. My first clicky failed in 3 days, but Fenix sent me another one ASAP. No problems since then!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm afraid published lumen numbers don't mean much, since there's little consistency in approach. Better to look at reviews that directly compare the output between the lights in question.

In that vein, you will find the JB PRO-I and Nitecore DI and the 1AA versions of the Fenix lights (Q5 and R100) compared here:

Multi-stage 1AA Review - Part III: Runtimes, beamshots & more!

You can compare these results directly to the same Fenix Q5 and R100 heads run in P2D format here:

Fenix Rebel vs Cree: L1D/L1T/P2D OUTPUT, RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS!

Those reviews have direct links to more detailed reviews on each of lights as well.

john46268

Newly Enlightened
I have the JetBeam MKII.R and I'm extremely happy. The craftsmanship is exquisite. It functions flawlessly. It is very bright, although I do not know the actual lumen output. It has advanced mode (if your into that) but I use basic mode as I don't need 15+ settings to go thru. If you go to a sales website you can see the quality of the build. It is my EDC light. It has nearly every feature you could want and then some. I don't go anywhere without it and a spare Eneloop, just in case. Good luck in your searching endeavor!

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not too fond of the threads on fenix lights. Might be nicer with grease that wasn't primarily designed for car wheels, but hey.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Lumenous,
I think you will probably be happy with whichever light you choose from that list. I have, or have had, one or more lights from each company and they were/are all well crafted.

Personally, if I were going to carry only one light (I usually carry between 3-5) it would be a 1xAA based light because even though I would run it using a rechargeable cell, it's comforting knowing that I could always find a AA battery in a pinch.

I did own the NDI, and while I REALLY liked it, I ended up selling it in part because of the sharp, pointy bezel which I considered a pocket killer. I'm sure that could be filed down, but I just didn't want to mess with it.

If you plan on carrying this in your pocket, opposed to a holster, then I think it will come down to which you personally find more comfortable...... shorter but a bit bigger around (CR123), or thinner but a bit longer (AA).

Happy hunting!

meuge

Enlightened
I have been carrying the P2D-R100 and it's a wonderful light. I haven't abused it too much, but it's held up to being dropped on concrete and into water.

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your input. I have narrowed down by selection to the Fenix L1D with the R100 emitter and the Nitecore Defender.

I realize that to get the R100 emitter I'm going to have to purchase a complete L2D plus an L1D body.

The low and medium modes on the Fenix seem a little corky. Am I right in saying that? As for the Nitecore, I find the dark ring around the hotspot to be a bit distracting.

What do you guys think?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Nightcore and it is a great AA light. It feels nice and solid and I like the forward clickie. I like the switch better on the NDI than Fenix (I only have a P3D for comparison). It is also a bit smaller/thinner than the L1D.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm torn between the following lights. My biggest concerns are:

* Actual lumen output being very close to the numbers advertised.

The Lumen output on the Nitecore has been updated by them. Originally listed at 190 Lumens maximum; Nitecore has now updated the listing to 130 Lumens maximum which I would say seems accurate.

Bill

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Thank you all for your input. I have narrowed down by selection to the Fenix L1D with the R100 emitter and the Nitecore Defender.

I realize that to get the R100 emitter I'm going to have to purchase a complete L2D plus an L1D body.

The low and medium modes on the Fenix seem a little corky. Am I right in saying that? As for the Nitecore, I find the dark ring around the hotspot to be a bit distracting.

What do you guys think?
Unless you're going to go strictly for rechargeable NiMH, why would you purchase a light and a body for the same battery?

A P2DR100 with an L1D or L2D body seems a lot more sensible - that way you have the option of using either CR123 or AA batteries... for the same price.

Otherwise, it's a fine choice.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I just got back today from a 3 day trip where I made serious and frequent use of a Nitecore DI. It let me see to climb a wind, fog, drizzle swept hillside over bog and rocks to get to a water tap, twice an evening, in a place that is pitch black, it being out in the country.

It let me see to do the repairs I needed to, poke around in the back of cupboards looking for material.

It would light up the whole back yard and the woods 50m away well enough to see anything 'out there'.

Of all the tools I took with me, this was by far the most useful. I really liked being able to dial in the exact amount of light for each job.

I took several spare batteries with me, but required only the one I initially set out with. It had got down to low only mode this morning, but still was enough for finishing up and packing up.

Three days of frequent daily use from one 2700mah Ni-mh is good going.

My vote is for the Nitecore. It was all the light I needed for multiple functions and purposes. :twothumbs

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
I own a MIIR, it's OK. It's not dazzlingly bright, but it's useful indoors. Quality is OK. All in all I own or have owned about 16 JetBeams, of 4 different types.

Perhaps you should look at the Olight. My JetBeams are in a drawer, my Olights find daily use. I find that my Olight T15 Q5 with a spare T10 and T15 body is more useful and much brighter. I can run it as a single AA T15, as a 2AA using a spare T15 battery tube and as a T10 with the T10 battery tube. Two accessory tubes are 18 bucks from Eliteled. The quality of the Olight is as good as the JetBeam, perhaps better. For reviews:
http://www.lightreviews.info/reviews.html
My 3 Olights have performed flawlessly for me. And the bezels won't cut your pocket open.

The Jet 1 Pro looks interesting, but it's pretty expensive for what it does.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have just bought the p2d 100 rebel premium and I'm quite happy with it. It is now on my belt, taking the EDC role that my (lost) home made 1 cell CR123 light fulfilled.

I like the feel and the operation. The quality (on my particular unit) appears quite good, with no visible defects in finish or construction. And I checked with a magnifier. :)

If it does give 30 hours regulated in the 11 lumen mode I'll be quite happy. In turbo mode it out-performs all three of my Lux V lights.

I find the 'low' 11 lumens is quite adequate for the kinds of things I do most frequently, like looking in the kitchen cabinets or under my workbench.

Daniel

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
bit late, but out of all of those i would go with the P1DQ5. Unless you absolutely have to get a clicky, then i would vote P2D, NDIs while being a fantastic light (note sigline) have been known to have clicky issues, although it seems to be becoming less of a problem these days..

Crenshaw