Bug-out/Disaster Light

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm looking for a light to throw in my bugout bag. Here's the criteria:

1xAA
long runtime
Very reliable
A higher brightness mode would be nice, but not required if it adds breakability to the system.

my Novatac 85P, or surefire G2 w/ malkoff M60L would be my first choices. But the batteries will be hard to find after an earthquake, etc, and I don't want to carry around a ton of them.

My Streamlight ProPoly Lux 4AA almost fits the bill, but is a bit too big and heavy (I want to keep pack light, save weight for food, etc.).

From what I can see there's the Fenix L1T or L1D, and the Olight T15 out there. Which do you think is more reliable between the two?

Any other ideas of where to look?

mechBgon

Enlightened
What about the Lumapower LM31: http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm301.html I was looking at this for my little sister. Simple two-mode operation, and the low is supposed to be very low. It also sounds like the beam is fairly floody, making it practical as a walking/map-reading light on low. According to those specs, you could get 10hrs on low from an alkaline AA.

Draven451

Enlightened
Candlelight,

You may want to look at the many threads on the Nitecore Defender Infinity. It is very compact and light about 3 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter - momentary clicky, two modes - Tactical Mode(Highest Output) and user defined mode from very low to very high.
:welcome:

Louis

alanagnostic

Enlightened
If you have a bug-out-bag, you're probably preparing for the worst. I would go with something that is ultra reliable. Maybe an Arc AAA. Common batteries are good if you're going to need to scavenge batteries. Peak LED makes AA lights that are very tough, but they are generally single-stage. You might want to look at the new HDS Twisty coming out soon. Supposedly it will have a AA battery tube in the future...if so it would make and excellent BOB light.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Pacific with an AA body. Choice of aluminum, brass, stainless steel, or titanium. Also, choose between several different power levels to get the runtime you want.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recommend one of these for $13 shipped. Not bright but long running and very, very reliable. You also get a nice knife. BTW this is a closeout and may disappear any MOMENT (really...), so if you're gonna, do it now...

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
My BOB has a 3rd gen Inova X1 with a Li AA and a spare - they have 10+yr shelf life. I have gotten >5 hr from one in the X1, >15 hr in my 2nd gen X1, which is better over an area, while the brighter more modern one seems better suited for spots. I have two River Rock TM-311X 2xAAA with Li AAAs, too. The old standby, a MiniMagLite with Li 2xAA and the 3-LED Nite-Eze conversion, relatively low tech, is long lasting, too. It's with the emergency radio, food, etc. I have 3 kits scattered about the house here - with tornado season apparently here, one never knows what to grab first. My old attache/brief case is pretty solid - contains insurance papers, IDs, personal records, and one set of BOB goodies.

Stainz

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Why not throw some cr123a in the bag, after all with a 10 year shelf life, tiny weight, and the fact that your novatac will run for 10 days on the .33 lumen setting constantly, then trow in a tiny AAA as a back up in case the novatac is not with you when you gotta go...although mine is small enough that its just about with me 24/7...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with a Fenix L1D, or maybe two of them. It seems every brand of light can have a problem, but if you had two you'd have a good chance that at least one would work for the long haul. You'd also have a spare to give to someone else if needed. I'd go over them with DeoxIT to prevent or reduce them from oxidizing while in storage, etc.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it won't fit the ultra-bright requirements (if you have any), but a 2AA minimag with SMJLED drop-in will run a damn long time, is very durable and weather-proof (yes PROOF in my experience) and its easy to scavenge erpalcement parts and batteries for.

Thats what my bob (well, ammo box) light is... In addition to a surplus angle head with cree PR drop-in and 3d magled.

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Wow, what a bunch of great ideas! I'm gonna have to look into the fauxtons, infinity ultra and maglight w/ LED...

I've kind of been going on the assumption that AA is better than AAA in these circumstances b/c they'd be easier to find and have higher capacity? What do you all think in terms of which would be more available/scavengeable?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I know you wanted a single AA But take a look at the fenixL2D its a 2AA light with low,med high,turbo sos and strobe The Q5 puts out 180LM and the low setting will run for days.It would make an excellent backup light.

turbodog6

Newly Enlightened
I travel extensively in developing countries, so like you I have also been looking for a light that gives me options for sourcing batteries under less than desirable circumstances (which I have had to do on several occasions).

I currently carry 2 lights when I travel, a Peak Pacific with AAA, AA and CR2 bodies and a Peak Caribbean with CR123 keychain and pocket bodies. Each body not attached to the light is used as a spare carrier, giving me 2 highly dependable lights which can utilize 4 types of batteries and means I always start my trip with 5 fresh batteries.

I find AA batteries the easiest to buy when traveling in almost all countries around the world. But I have also found that almost all TV remote controls in hotels around the world are powered by AAA batteries, so it is nice to have the capability of using both battery types while traveling. I like the compactness of the CR2 and CR123 batteries, and they can be found in airports and in camera shops in tourist areas around the world, but their availability is spotty and I wouldn't want to count on being able to find them when I really need them.

When I get home from my travels I put these lights in my Bugout Bag and feel confident that whatever happens, I have a pretty good chance of being able to find a battery that I can use.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to turbodog6 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Question, if i may:

When you find AA cells available "around the world",

are they usually Alkalines ?

Or simply the plain-ol' Carbon-Zinc cells ?

Thank you for your insights. :thumbsup:

_

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm looking for a light to throw in my bugout bag. Here's the criteria:

1xAA
long runtime
Very reliable
A higher brightness mode would be nice, but not required if it adds breakability to the system.

my Novatac 85P, or surefire G2 w/ malkoff M60L would be my first choices. But the batteries will be hard to find after an earthquake, etc, and I don't want to carry around a ton of them.

My Streamlight ProPoly Lux 4AA almost fits the bill, but is a bit too big and heavy (I want to keep pack light, save weight for food, etc.).

From what I can see there's the Fenix L1T or L1D, and the Olight T15 out there. Which do you think is more reliable between the two?

Any other ideas of where to look?

How about a P2D plus a L2D body? The P2D has the shelf life and if you eat through your supply of 123's, you drop on the L2D body. Of course, with the low settings and the efficiency of today's lights, how much actual run time do you think you'll need? Unless we're talking long term zombie war, I would think four 123's plus some AA's for the combo would get you threw a few weeks anyway.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just some thoughts about battery selection for a BOB.

In an emergency, people will be cleaning out batteries in the most popular sizes. I believe some people who went through Katrina mentioned that there were no AAs and Ds left in the stores.

Maybe working in an alternative battery size and light is a consideration also?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD has this cheap $4 AA light with some cheap Chinese led. Runs forever (at least 12 hours straight and then some on alks) with decent, i.e. 10~20 lumens I would expect. Not bad. I have a bunch of these, and plan on throwing them with some mismatched L91 lithiums (anyone remember the Surplus Supply store that sold these in bags of 8?) for long-lasting, long-running lights that I can lend or give out when the Big One comes.