Why I chose the 6PL (Finally!!!)

Retinator

Enlightened
Before I get into my reasons let's talk about a few things first. One, my old Lux I finally died and I've been looking for a replacement for awhile now. Having won $ 100 from a scratch & win, I figured it was time to grab a surefire. $ 100 won't make you rich so it's gonna make me happy instead lol.

The choices are mind boggling, having been used to a Lux I for the last 2 yrs, I wanted some more power, with a bit more throw. My X5 is plenty bright, but lacks the throw I wanted. The big debate was the G2L or a 6PL. I liked the grip on the G2L better with gloves, but both were good enough. I figured when you're spending this much, might as well get a 6PL, I'm more of an aluminum type myself, and prefer Pyrex over the Lexan. Really though, the difference between the 2 windows is pretty negligable. The upgradablity in the P60L module is a plus as is the support.

I gotta say, when you see these lights online, they look much bigger. When I seen the Surefires in display, I was like "Is that it? They're tiny!". My Lux I was the 3-AAA setup and was a lot thicker.

At the dealer, whenever I've picked up any somewhat pricey items (Swisschamp etc) they always bring it up to the front for you. The salesguy, opens up the display hands me one, and says there ya go! I wouldn't have made a dash for the exit, but wow. Either he was too lazy to bring it up or he was too trusting. Ahh well the people there are always nice (Lebaron's).

I've also been thinking of that 'Surefire' feel everyone talks about. You really have to hold one to understand but I'll try to describe it for those who wonder. I think there's a way that that the weight is balanced just right, that really creates the first impression. The machining is well done, uniform, no sharp edges, but not smooth either. The knurling is rough, but not harsh enough to rough your hands up. Tailcap is firm but steady with very little flickering in the momentary ON position. I find Inovas to flicker a lot more, even more with age (my maintenance perhaps?)., though the full ON never gave me a problem.
That's the best I can describe the feel, despit the slim size, they're very comfortable in a variety of conditions (gloves/none, indoor/outdoor etc..)

I was showing it to a friend last night and he fires it up. He was smart enough NOT to look into the bezel, but upon shining around the room, he caught the glass door of his stereo system and the reflection got him in the eyes. He was seeing spots for a bit after :)

I have seen the light and it has nearly cost my friend his vision...............

Is it worth the money? Hmm depends on the person.
Was it worth the money to me? Hmmm in all honesty, it's too early to say. I believe it will be, I plan on keeping this thing for a long time. Ask me in 2 or 3 years :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When I was asked what I wanted for Christmas that was just for me, I chose 6PL.

It was a fine choice!

Now the 6PL body and tail support my "Chop"ed KL3 better than a G2 ever could!

The 6PL bezel is on my black G2 with a DX SSC drop in.

And the P60L is in a Pelican M6.

Making it three lights in one!

GREAT choice my man!!!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I got a G2L and quickly sold the P60L module. I also own a couple of 6Ps and a 6P Defender. While I'm sure the P60L is still quite bright to some people, it just doesn't do anything for me. I own many of the Cree P60 dropins from DX and I much prefer those. I'm still waiting to get my hands on a Malkoff Devices M60. I just figure the 6PL wasn't worth the purchase unless you can sell off the P60L for a good price. There's a reputable seller on Ebay that's been selling 6Ps for $42 shipped...add that to a $10 to $20 Cree P60 dropin from various online places and you're set...or you could go premium and get a BOG or Malkoff Devices dropin.