YOUR THOUGHTS ON A HIGH POWER LED THROW MONSTER?

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Hey guys,
Lately I have been finding myself unsastisfied in the throw department. I have a 2mcp Optronics spotlight but I want a more portable LED throw monster. I was looking at this light a lot because of the possibility of sticking four of the brightest LED's I could in there. Basically, I need a little help in understanding LED's. What would be the brightest LED I could stick in there, assuming I would still be using primarys in it. I would Idealy want to stick the brightest four LED's I could in there and have an expert like Milky see if he could put TIR's on them to give max throw. So what do you guys think?

-Evan

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aspheric lens set ups will throw best, but may not care for the beam and lack of spill, etc. For a reflector based LED thrower the Dereelight DBS is leading the pack, slightly, followed by the Raidfire Spear, Tiablo A9, and Lumapower MRV.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well I really liked the four LED setup so I guess I can live with stock throw which in the pics doesent look that bad IMHO. But what kind of LED's are in the light and if they are not the brighest that could be in there, which ones are?

-Evan

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are my Ultimate Throwers.

DBS V2

DBSV2R003Small.jpg

DBS V1

DBS043Small.jpg

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Ok, Ill just come out with it, would it be possible to put four Q5's in to this light and push 400 lumens out the front? If I could do that than this little project will be a wrap!

-Evan

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Ill just come out with it, would it be possible to put four Q5's in to this light and push 400 lumens out the front? If I could do that than this little project will be a wrap!

-Evan

It's possible, but it still won't throw as well as a DBS or an aspheric mag.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you simply replace the P4 cree's with Q 5 crees, you will not necessarily have the throw monster you want. Maybe brighter, but the circuit board that is there won't let your Q5 put out max power. You need to build these things with the board and led and reflector working together. I suggest you look into the Malkoff drop ins for the Mag lights, or some of the other custom items for sale in the marketplace.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want throw, one large and deep reflector with one LED would do a lot better then multiple LEDs each with a smaller reflector.

With the right driver, 600+ lumen out the front of that light with 4 Q5 LEDs should be possible. With the stock driver, I think 400 lumen if you swap out the LEDs for Q5s shouldn't be too much of a problem.

You could get a lot of throw if you can find 4 of the right sized lenses.

wildstar87

Enlightened
I think there is a thread on this light already, the problem with it is heatsinking. It really doesn't have adequate heatsinking for the load you probably want to run. At least I seem to remember that was the general consensus.

Edit: This is the thread I believe... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183756

Last edited:

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well it's little crap like that that I figured an expert like Milky could figure out. I would really love his input on this but his inbox was full and he has'nt commented so....

-Evan

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightguy, sorry about the full PM inbox. You could always send PM to me over at CPF Marketplace, or email here (if you haven't already)...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif