Surefire Lanyards? what happened?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been into lanyards lately, and my perfect lanyard so far has been the one that came with my G2Z, with the zip pull cord end, two cord stoppers, a split ring and a SF (surefire?) Roach Clip.

I have been making all my own lanyards with this concept in mind, different parts, but essentially the same design (btw, i may put them up FS on bst)

I just bought two BNIP surefire lanyards from cfromc over at bst, and he says that they dont have the cord ending? they just seem to be melted abit and cut at an angle?

whats up with this? surefire being cheap? :thinking:

I already paid for them, so i just went ahead with it, but still, whats going on?

EDIT: Might be getting a refund instead...working it out now..

Crenshaw

Last edited:

cfromc

Enlightened
Six of the last 7 or 8 lights I've bought have those lanyards. The first two were used and I thought the previous owners removed the ends. But now that I have 4 (more) new ones from Surefire, I'm thinking that's the way it is now. I have taken a picture of one of the still sealed lanyards from a new light I just bought. Look at the bottom right corner where the end is. You can see it is just cut on an angle:
(the tape on the package is from me attaching the ring to the package)
IMG_0464.jpg

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I order a number of products directly from SureFire as they are less than 33 miles (53 km) away. All the lanyards I have received from them in the past year have cut and sealed ends as depicted in the posted picture.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do those ending things (whatever they are called) break away in case of emergency?

I've always thought it was a safety feature in case your light falls into machinery and your hand gets pulled by the lanyard...

cfromc

Enlightened
I've never taken one apart but I just assumed that the ends were cut and the black end cap just covered up the ends. I would imagine that the ends would break free out of that black cap with enough force. I also thought that the ring itself was designed to break free.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
All current SF steel ring lanyards feature "...fastener...designed to break away if the lanyard or light is pulled on with extreme force".

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Spares Carrier about 2 years ago and it had the Zipper Pull on the end. Sadly that is last Surefire product that I have bought but theres getting ready to be an L1 on the way, guess I will see what kind I get with it. You could always just put one on, there like .75 cents at Lghthound.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes but minimum international shipping from LH is 13 dollars. which i can never really justify enough to buy when Xrunner has really good GITD one over at BST...:(

Actually i dont see how surefire lanyards are "designed to break free" under heavy load. ALl of it looks pretty strong, i always assumed it was the roach clip that was desgined structurally to break at a certain load..

Crenshaw

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have six SF lanyards with six Xrunner GITD cord ends. The GITD cord end does not fit SF lanyards perfectly without a bit of dethreading. They will clamp, but one of the lanyard cords will protrude from one of the ends.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
from SureFires page: "For safety, the fastener is designed to break away if the lanyard or light is pulled on with extreme force."

How is this helping if you have your neck/wrist between the two cord locks?
I thought the whole idea of having those two cord lock was so you could attach your light at various length from your neck/wrist. But if the light would get stuck somewhere it seems like your not getting loose very easily...

Mash

Enlightened
My SF lanyards (very old ones) have cut ends, BUT they came with a big knot just before the cut, so if you want the breakaway feature its essential to unknot the end.
Regarding the safety aspects with cordlocks, they are designed to break with application of force, as a matter of fact, on another thread there is discussion that the cordlocks are/were breaking a lot in normal use!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Answer I got from SF when I asked last week, after I bought a lanyard with no terminator:

The terminator on the end of the lanyard system was purposely left off
of your lanyard system. The reason is that if you had the lanyard around
your wrist and got the flashlight stuck on something you would still be
able to break free. The cord locks (black plastic round object) would
slip off the cord and you would be able to break away from the cord.
With the terminator attached this would not be possible.

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I think that the terminator would break away much easier than the cord locks. I just sold a 6Z that just had cut ends, but my A2 has the terminator on the end. I personally like the terminator just because it is safer and it keeps the cord from plopping around.

const451

Newly Enlightened
I just bought C2 and C3 directly from SF and the lanyard on one of them has the terminator but the other one does not - wierd.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
omg, cool! im going to order about 20 i think..if i can figure it out,although i did just PM xrunner about ordering 50 too....

Also, i would actually prefer is my lanyards did NOT break on me. Its all fine and good if your neck is stuck in it, which i dont do anyway, but the thought of losing an expensive light....:faint:

Crenshaw

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
My SF lanyards (very old ones) have cut ends, BUT they came with a big knot just before the cut, so if you want the breakaway feature its essential to unknot the end.
Regarding the safety aspects with cordlocks, they are designed to break with application of force, as a matter of fact, on another thread there is discussion that the cordlocks are/were breaking a lot in normal use!

I started a thread when I discovered two broken cord locks on two different SF lanyards broke when I moved the cord locks!
If one of those lanyards would be on the light when you got stuck, you wouldnt get lose! The push button on the cord lock broke inside into smaller pieces resulting in one bigger piece being pushed by the spring against the lanyard, the broken plastic piece was rather sharp resulting in the piece cut into the cord and got totally stuck! I really tried to pull it away but it had almost cut the cord apart! I didnt get stuck with that lanyard and I still had trouble getting the cord lock away. After the first one I tried a second lanyard which almost instantly broke exactly like the first!
Turned out there where more than I that had discovered this! So I wouldnt ever trust a lanyard to break free. If your worried, just dont attach it to yourselves!

Spence

Enlightened
I've been making my own lanyards roo, because SureFire's lanyards are too short to suit me. BTW, you can buy those zipper pull cord end closures for $0.75 at Lighthound, along with most all lanyard supplies, and make your own for about $6.50 with a stainless clip like McGizmo's style clips.

Spence
:poke:
yellowlaugh.gif

Spence

Enlightened
I should mention, I don't use the break free connectors, and my paracords are 48 inches instead of Surefire's 34 inches. I wear my light lower (over my stomach). Adjusted to full length, I can tuck the light in a front pocket. However, in an emergency, I would just duck my head and back out of the lanyard.

Spence
:rolleyes::grin2:
sssh.gif