Smooth, small, pocket friendly lights?

flip

Enlightened
Can you guys suggest some good quality, bright LED lights that have smooth rounded bodies that carry easily in your pocket? I don't want a weapon, just a sleek, bright flashlight.I am interested in single AAA, AA and 123 size LED lights.

I'm afraid I know nothing about the newer small lights. My experience with good quality lights is limited to rechargeable Maglites and Streamlight Stingers.

I got a Surefire E1E yesterday and love it but...I'm sure there are other lights that would ride in a pants pocket a little better. And, I NEED some small LED lights!

meuge

Enlightened
Can you guys suggest some good quality, bright LED lights that have smooth rounded bodies that carry easily in your pocket? I don't want a weapon, just a sleek, bright flashlight.I am interested in single AAA, AA and 123 size LED lights.

I'm afraid I know nothing about the newer small lights. My experience with good quality lights is limited to rechargeable Maglites and Streamlight Stingers.

I got a Surefire E1E yesterday and love it but...I'm sure there are other lights that would ride in a pants pocket a little better. And, I NEED some small LED lights!
I think that a Fenix L0D-CE Q4 (from fenix-store.com) is a very safe suggestion, that will get a lot of support in this forum.

This light is bright on high (much more overall output than a 3D Mag), quite bright on medium, and long-running on low, thus allowing you the flexibility to use it in any circumstances.

It feeds off AAA batteries (strongly prefers NiMH rechargeables or AAA lithiums, and kinda chokes on alkalines), and it's barely larger than an AAA battery.

It's also very robust, since several people here have forgotten one in their clothes and had it go through a washer and dryer, only to find it functioning perfectly afterwards.

Draven451

Enlightened

Hi Flip,

:welcome: There are alot of choices that fit your needs. Check out the Lummi board in the Custom & Modified section for their sleek, stylish designs that are very small and very bright - If you are looking for a light that is ultra small and sleek the "Wee" may fit what your looking for.

mwaldron

Enlightened
I carry a Fenix P2D, and one of the main reasons is because of the fact that it just disappears in my pocket. No knurling to snag anywhere, very bright, great battery life on low.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Check out the Photon Proton Pro for a 1AA light that meets your requirements. Lots of information here in this section and the reviews section.

Geoff

flip

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. You guys are quick!

I suppose my upper price limit would be around $100. My wife about choked when she saw the price tag on the Surefire I got! Luckily, I could honestly tell her that came through a trade.

There are so many choices out there and I didn't know where to start looking, much less know what brands are good or junk.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest the Fenix L0D-CE Q4 for keychain carry. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

If you are looking for 1 AA, there are also many choices.

What kind of output are you looking for?
Multimode?
Clickie or twistie?

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, the L0D-CE Q4 has around 60 lumen out the front on high for almost a full hour on a good NiMh battery(Low last around 6 hours and is around 8 lumen).

Could be a good place to start.

The KD 1 AAA Seoul might be another lower priced way to start.

Masque

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I prefer CR123-powered lights for EDC. There are exceptions, however, such as when wearing a suit. For suit-pocket carry, the L0D Q4 is a splendid choice. It's completely smooth, very bright when needed while remaining dim enough for theater use when used with a cupped hand.

I've tried AA lights for pocket carry, but I find their very slight thinness advantage over 123 lights to be not worth the reduction in power. If you're going to use a 3.7v li-ion "AA", however, that distinction is removed. Then, however, you still end up with a longer light.

So, presuming that you think like I do, here are the lights you would be considering, based on your desire for "smooth", and assuming you do -not- want to use rechargeables:

Fenix L0D, for dress carry.

Fenix P1D Q5, if you don't mind a twist switch, or if "small" is more important.

Fenix P2D Q5, if you do want a pushbutton switch. Personally, I have tried both, and prefer the button.

Olight T10 Q5, similar to the P2D but with slightly better throw and different styling.

There are other options, but these are a good start for a "basic" light.

Now, if you don't mind a little care and feeding, and rechargeables are your game, and you really just want small, sleek, pretty, and useful - look here, and get ready to drool.

These are all under $100 shipped - some by quite a bit - and should satisfy your needs. I have left out lights with knurling, as that's not smooth, and lights that are any larger than the P2D (such as the P3D, which I like even more.) As you have surely seen, choices abound. Do let us know which four you buy first.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll chime in for the L0D, too. It is a great light. The CREE version would likely be your best bet. But, even the Luxeon version is a good performer.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My wife about choked when she saw the price tag on the Surefire ...
Article 4, Subsection 6, Paragraph 2, Rule 9(c), clearly states:

Price or value of lights will not be discussed with anyone who does not need to know this. Violation of this rule will result in a life of misery:devil:

upper price limit would be around $100
Look at the Nitecore Defender, a superb light for $80 ... killer quality, awesome beam that combines throw & flood, very nice interface. Lots of info on this board.

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone find 1xCR123 lights too big in the pocket?

My flashlight doesn't get used very often, but takes up a lot of pocket real estate. What's an alternative? Thanks

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone find 1xCR123 lights too big in the pocket?

My flashlight doesn't get used very often, but takes up a lot of pocket real estate. What's an alternative? Thanks

There's a large variation in size among 1xCR123A lights. A Peak Matterhorn with pocket style body is the smallest I own and it rides fairly well in a back pants pocket.

The larger HDS EDC Basic, Inova T1, and Dorcy 123A lights are longer and fatter and can be uncomfortable in pants pockets so I carried them in belt holsters and shirt, vest, or jacket pockets.

matthewdanger

Enlightened

I carry an HDS EDC clipped in my pocket everyday. The Peaks are very nice if you want to carry in the pocket.

X Racer

Enlightened

Nautilus is small and fits the pocket just fine...

If that's too big for you, go for a CR2 light like the Cr2 Ion, or maybe a rechargeable Raw NS. These lights are bright, have two stages, and fit right in your watch pocket, meaning they take up no pocket space at all...