MN15 vs MN16...that much difference?

cfromc

Enlightened
I just did side-by-side comparisons between the two lamps last night and I just didn't see much of a difference. I can see a slight difference, it is obvious the MN16 is a little brighter, but it just did not seem 100 lumens brighter. Indoors on wall comparisons and ceiling bounce tests my wife could pick out the brighter one but she even said "not much difference". Outside the MN16 is just barely brighter, hardly even noticeable. Throw is about the same with just a little more spill. It hardly seems worth the 2/3 run-time loss. I ran both on the same batteries and went back and forth twice. The batteries previously had maybe a minute or two run-time, so basically new. Do I have a bad MN16, a really good MN15, or is there just not that much difference?

For comparison, I have done the same thing with the P90/P91 and MN10/MN11 on my C3 and M3, respecitvely and I notice a definite difference, especially in flood and overall output, between those LOLAs and HOLAs.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MN16 on 2x18650's ROASTS my MN15 on the same set-up! In my lightbox the MN16 has a little over double the output of the MN15. I think you may have a bad bulb :candle:

Chuck289

Enlightened
When I'm comparing 2 lights and shining them at a wall 10 feet away, I find it's harder to notice a difference. When I ceiling bounce the lights and see how much they light up the room, then I really can see the difference. Thats usually how I compare output.
BUt its sounds possilbe you have a faulty mn16, or a freak mn15

Size15's

Flashaholic
There should be an obvious difference - not only in total light output, but also in beam shape.

Please can you describe the filaments of the MN15 and MN16 to us.
(Photos would be useful if possible)

It certainly seems that your MN16 is under-performing.

cfromc

Enlightened
Here are some pictures. The MN16 is brighter, no question. Just not that much brighter. The first three are the MN16 and last two with the cardboard are the MN15:
IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
Great photos - both lamps look normal and they are clearly different (from each other) as one would expect.

I guess since you don't seem to be deriving any real benefit from the MN16 then I suggest you stop using it because it eats SF123A's compared to the MN15.

Just a couple thoughts occurred to me.

Are you running these in an M3T?
If you are using a 'LEGO' model with more joints/contact surfaces then this will increase resistance and reduce the output and brilliance - especially of the HOLA.

Are you using fresh SF123A batteries?
HOLA's don't shine to their best on Chinese CR123A batteries.

cfromc

Enlightened
Size15's, I ran both out of a brand new M3T with new Surefire batteries. After my current small stash of Chinese AAs I won't be running any Chinese batteries at all anymore. I don't run Chinese 123s in anything. I'm sure the lamp probably puts out its rated lumens, my integrated optical spheres just didn't notice a nearly double increase in output. Perhaps my perception of value has skewed my results since I just couldn't justify going through 3 times as many batteries to run that for an hour based upon the increase in output, whereas in certain situations I can with a P91 or MN11 because the increase is so obvious.

mdocod

Flashaholic
doubling output while maintaining similar color temperature will look like a "step" brighter (won't appear as double), much like turning up the volume on the stereo 3DB, it sounds like a step louder, but in reality it is twice as much sound energy. To get twice as loud (10DB) you need 10X the energy. So it could be said that for something to appear double as bright, you probably need a multitude brighter (possibly not as high as 10X, but definitely more than 2X)...

However, less lumens can look like more if the color temperature is higher, this is where some of the biggest perceptual differences can take place... Run your MN16 on a pair of 17670s (with a 1 cell extender) and it will not only be brighter, but also notably whiter, which will result in it appearing even brighter and or more useful still.

BSBG

Enlightened
Run your MN16 on a pair of 17670s (with a 1 cell extender) and it will not only be brighter, but also notably whiter, which will result in it appearing even brighter and or more useful still.

This is a superb setup, amazingly white with great throw. The MN15 powered the same way is a bit brighter than in the M3T; but noticeably less output than the MN16 as it is a bit more overdriven on the Li Ions.

Latest posts