My Computer Died.... UPDATE: I bought a Mac!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my computer crashed last night and I haven't been able to get it running yet. My IT guys at work are looking to see what the problem is.

I have to tell you guys, I'm really just getting completely fed up with PCs. I may take the jump to Mac.

What do you guys think of iMacs?

Computerless,
MSax

Last edited:

mechBgon

Enlightened
Re: My Computer Died.... I might go Mac!?!?!

Was it a hardware problem or a software problem? Symptoms? Modern iMacs use a subset of x86 PC hardware at the core, and in a less-servicable format than a standard, highly-modular desktop PC. So if you're having a hardware issue, well, be aware that you'll still have hardware.

On the bright side, the use of x86 hardware means you can also install Windows on the Mac using Boot Camp, if there's Windows software you still need to run at times. :thumbsup:

If I were getting a Mac, I'd get a Mac Pro. Expandable, upgradeable, not limited to 4GB of RAM. But I'm just crazy like that :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Groundhog66

Banned

Those who like them seem to really like them, though they crash too.

I have an iMac on my desk, and a MacBook Pro in my living room. I have been using Mac's for a couple years now, no crashes as of yet. They are as user friendly as it gets, and VERY visually pleasing. I would not even think twice about recommending Mac's to someone, I will NEVER go back to PC again.

JUST DO IT

Tim

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm typing this now on my MacBook. I had to reformat my previous (XP) laptop 3 times in one year. I've had my MacBook for 18 months now and have never had a crash, file loss or blue screen of death. It's definitely more solid. I'm not saying it's perfect, but definitely more solid.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Was it a hardware problem or a software problem? Symptoms?

MechBgon,

That's part of the problem. I don't know what the problem is? The more I use the thing the more time I spend maintaining it that actually using it. Between Defrag, Ad-Aware, Norton Antivirus, Reg fixes, dead links, countless error codes, you remove a program, but it doesn't completely remove it from the system, crosslinks..... it goes on and on. I know a bit about computers, but I'm definitely not an expert. But every couple of weeks its starts bogging down or another issue pops up. I just want to go on line and look at flashlights, pay my bills and play a few games. Why do I constantly have to clean my system of spyware, ads, make sure my virus protection is up to date and scanning.... blah blah blah blah blah!!

<Rant off>

Sorry, I'm a bit sensitive at this time.

Symptoms: It was running fine. Actually it was running very good, fast even. Then last night my wife left a web browser open for about 3 hours to show me an article about the Devil Ray's new Stadium in Florida. After looking at the article, I attempted to close the browser. The system hung up and would not close. I waited a few minutes, tried to break it with a ctrl-alt-del. But the system was still hung up. I hit the reset button and on startup, I get a disk-read-error before Windows starts up. Sounds to me like a HD issue?!? Who the heck knows.

The 180GB Maxtor Master HD is about 6-8 months old. I put it in there last summer.

<RANT ON>

:xyxgun: Stupid POS!!!!

<rant off>

MSax

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been using Mac's for a couple years now, no crashes as of yet. ......will NEVER go back to PC again.

This is exactly why I'm HEAVILY leaning towards an iMac.

I had to reformat my previous (XP) laptop 3 times in one year.

If the HD is indeed toast, which I'm afraid it might be, then this will be the 3rd time I've rebuilt my system in less than a year too. That's ridiculous!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Longtime Mac user at home. Use PCs at work. Like my Macs very much.

PCs are OK, as long as you have an IT department to stand behind them. Macs are just....elegant...

mechBgon

Enlightened

MechBgon,

That's part of the problem. I don't know what the problem is? The more I use the thing the more time I spend maintaining it that actually using it. Between Defrag, Ad-Aware, Norton Antivirus, Reg fixes, dead links, countless error codes, you remove a program, but it doesn't completely remove it from the system, crosslinks..... it goes on and on. I know a bit about computers, but I'm definitely not an expert. But every couple of weeks its starts bogging down or another issue pops up. I just want to go on line and look at flashlights, pay my bills and play a few games. Why do I constantly have to clean my system of spyware, ads, make sure my virus protection is up to date and scanning.... blah blah blah blah blah!!

<Rant off>

Sorry, I'm a bit sensitive at this time.

Symptoms: It was running fine. Actually it was running very good, fast even. Then last night my wife left a web browser open for about 3 hours to show me an article about the Devil Ray's new Stadium in Florida. After looking at the article, I attempted to close the browser. The system hung up and would not close. I waited a few minutes, tried to break it with a ctrl-alt-del. But the system was still hung up. I hit the reset button and on startup, I get a disk-read-error before Windows starts up. Sounds to me like a HD issue?!? Who the heck knows.

The 180GB Maxtor Master HD is about 6-8 months old. I put it in there last summer.

<RANT ON>

:xyxgun: Stupid POS!!!!

<rant off>

MSax

You're aware that Macs have hard drives too, right? :poke: Just sayin'.

Why do I constantly have to clean my system of spyware, ads, make sure my virus protection is up to date and scanning.... blah blah blah blah blah!!

If you have any spyware issues, I can help you fix that permanently on Win2000, WinXP or Vista. Starts with low-rights operation, not antivirus or Ad-Aware. I racked up an estimated 400,000 machine-hours as a sysadmin and there was only one successful infection ever, and that was on a Win98 box that had been handed over to a visiting child (before I managed to snuff the last of the Win98 boxes), so it is certainly quite feasible, urban legends notwithstanding. As a guy who routinely sends a Windows system directly into harm's way to harvest malware samples, trust me, it's quite possible to secure Windows, and it doesn't have to take a lot of user attention either :)

My Win2000/XP fleet was also noteworthy for lack of crashing. The only BSODs I can recall were due to actual hard-drive failures, which aren't an OS problem.

Anyway, I added to my previous post. If you get a Mac, consider getting a more upgradeable model than the iMac per se. What brand/model is your afflicted PC, anyway?

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened

Well, my computer crashed last night and I haven't been able to get it running yet. My IT guys at work are looking to see what the problem is.

I have to tell you guys, I'm really just getting completely fed up with PCs. I may take the jump to Mac.

What do you guys think of iMacs?

Computerless,
MSax
You should also consider jumping to Linux, if you're ready to switch operating systems. It's a much less expensive option.

You can purchase Ubuntu Linux machines at Dell, if you go here:
http://www.dell.com/open

With Linux, you get the best of both worlds - low cost of PCs (laptops starting at $550), and high(er) security and ease of use of a Unix relative system.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have any spyware issues, I can help you fix that permanently on Win2000, WinXP or Vista. Starts with low-rights operation, not antivirus or Ad-Aware. I racked up an estimated 400,000 machine-hours as a sysadmin and there was only one successful infection ever, and that was on a Win98 box that had been handed over to a visiting child, so it is certainly quite feasible, urban legends notwithstanding.

Mechbgon,

Thanks for your help. When I get my computer back, I would definitely like to touch base with you privately to end the spyware issues. Thanks for the offer.

I'll check back here..... sporadically since I don't have a system at home any more:(...... and fill you in on my progress.

...goin' dark for now guys...... :eek:oo:

MSax

Last edited:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love macs. They're what the offspring of a brilliant engineer and an exalted artist would be if it were a computer.

Now, that said, PCs can be just as functional, elegant and performing with enough effort put into it.
I grew up with PCs and helped fix more of them than I can begin to remember and the vast majority of the problems were caused by user error, as in the computer owner was doing something absolutely idiotic, knowingly or not.

This does NOT mean that these owners were idiots (on the contrary) but rather disinterested in fiddling with what they consider tools and simply assumed that they should not need maintenance to remain in the same state of functionality and performance.

Of course, at work, none of us have control over how to customize the infrastructure so we are at the complete mercy of the competence of the IT staff. That can be a good thing but it's mostly bad news...

I have a laptop that's a bit over 8 years old today and that went through 3 hard drives, two batteries and one LCD screen CC tube. It has never been reinstalled or has never undergone major malfunction and it's just as fast and responsive as the day I unpacked it. Yeah, I just took care of it.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also have some tips to deal with spyware if you need help let me know.

I would suggest you to buy Acronis True Image, and do regular backups on a partition and on a separate drive, It has helped countless times, also Win / Vista manager is a great tool to have.

HTH
AlexGT

mechBgon

Enlightened

Mechbgon,

Thanks for your help. When I get my computer back, I would definitely like to touch base with you privately to end the spyware issues. Thanks for the offer.

I'll check back here..... sporadically since I don't have a system at home any more:(...... and fill you in on my progress.

...goin' dark for now guys...... :eek:oo:

MSax

Sure thing, and to add more food for thought... if the upgradeability of a Mac Pro is entirely unnecessary for your foreseeable needs, and if you have a decent monitor with a DVI interface, then you could also consider the Mac Mini. Way less money than the iMac, for obvious reasons.

On a different note, if your IT guys have problems recovering your files from the Maxtor, here's a couple free utilities that might help (assuming it isn't utterly fried):

http://www.free-av.com/ (Avira UnErase Personal, from the well-known maker of a very good free antivirus program)

http://www.pcinspector.de/ (PC Inspector, been out there a long time and still free)

Good luck! :candle:

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened

I havent read what others have to say about mac, but my opinion is that they (mac) can burn in h*ll....

They may have less problem than pc:c but they are not as user friendly as pc are! Might just be me, but thats my opinion...

Please dont give me any viruses! :)

Im quite fed up with windows too actually... Im serious considering changing to linux! But never a mac!

mechBgon

Enlightened

Please dont give me any viruses! :)

Aw man, there goes my plans for the entire afternoon! :(

*/me puts away my virus collection again

Speaking of malware, Mac users should be aware that the malware authors have begun building Mac-specific malware and laying traps for the unsuspecting. DO NOT ASSUME that your Mac is teh invincibles and that you can safely download & run anything you come across. Point in case: DNSChangers for Mac now widespread

And before people chime in that "well, but I don't go to risky sites," realize that the bad guys have also worked very hard to plant their results in Google searches for innocent stuff like "how to teach a dog to play fetch" or "blueberry jam." This is the RBN (Russian Business Network) at work, in large part. Keep your wits about you :tinfoil:

Phishing is another risk for all computer users, so no matter what your platform, consider using a web browser with anti-phishing capabilities (FireFox 2.x, Internet Explorer 7) and perhaps supplementing that with OpenDNS.com (free). And of course, educate your computer users in phish-avoidance behavior. I read that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service is seeing a 1200% jump in IRS phish this year compared to last year, for example.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Mac at home, Mac at work.. couldn't imagine life with a PC again. :green:

Just do it MSax! :poke:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened

id have to say that atleast 80% of PC problems (besides hardware failure) occur because of user error. not because they did something, but because they didn't do things that they should've. if that makes sense. i use imacs at my school for one of my classes, and though i cant say they're bad, they're just not my cup of tea. i feel like im being restrained. it depends on what you use it for. i have 5 PCs in my home and none of them have had a problem that i couldn't fix (one is 12 years old). ive only had to reinstall one OS on a PC running windows ME which we all know is crap.
the disk read error might point to a bad HD. check the connection on you HD too. you might have to take it out and try to access the files from another pc. if you cant, its probably a bad HD. :sigh:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been using a Mac since the 128K original.

My comment on the current Macs is a lack of reasonably priced software. Sure it comes with iLife for fun but if you need to do serious work everything is either like $2000 or crappy shareware. Make a list of the software you are using and will use in the future and make sure there are compatible equivalents before you jump.

Back in the 80s the steps to choosing a computer was:
1) Decide what you want to do.
2) Find the software that does it.
3) Buy the computer that runs the software.
Those steps still apply today.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a quick post from the Mac Store at the mall. These things are neat. Weird Keyboards.:wave:

MSas