Terralux TLE-6EXB

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
I installed the Terralux TLE-6EXB in a 2 D cell Maglite. After reading through the posts here, it is my understanding that in a 2 cell light, the bulb will not achieve full brightness. Is this correct?

If this is correct, can I buy 1 of the 3AA adaptors and use that combined with 1 regular D cell to boost the voltage? If so, would the resulting voltage be acceptable to the TLE-6EXB or would it be too much? How would this affect run time?

Thanks for all information.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure you're right about the 6EXB not getting up to full brightness using 2D or 2C cells. Sadly this applies to the venerable Malkoff Mag drop-ins as well. Although even at reduced brightness, Malkoff drop-ins are noticeably brighter than TerraLux drop-ins.

If you want a combination that makes full use of a drop-in in 2D or 2C (Mag) lights, the only option I can think of is to buy these two items for a 2C/2D Maglite:

1.) http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html

2.) http://www.batteryjunction.com/ba-2.html

The funny thing is, this combination might end up being as bright as the 6EXB running off of two cells. I have some of these bulb adapters on order, and I already own a 6EXB, so I'll be able to see which set-up is brighter.

chewy78

Enlightened
I also have that same setup . You are better off sticking with the tle-6exb for 2d cells. With 2 cells, you wont get much brighter. If you want more light, get a 4d mag and upgrade that.

Alero

Enlightened
I think it's full brightness on 2 cells, just a bit less runtime than with 3 cells.

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
I think it's full brightness on 2 cells, just a bit less runtime than with 3 cells.

Another poster indicates that he measured less output with 2 cells, then 3. I believe his figures were 80 Lumens for 2 cell and 100 lumens for 3 cells.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
A few points:

1) I have not read of someone having a bad experience mixing different cells, but I also haven't read of good experiences either. I always keep batteries the same age, same brand, same type, same size.

2) I compared a pair of identical 6EXB's running on identical batteries, in brand new hosts. I don't have any testing equipment, but switching back and forth and between a 2C and a 3C, I did notice additional output from the 3C. It was not, however, enough to justify the extra length of the additional cell. At this point, I have

2C -> 6EXB
3C -> Malkoff

and I'm quite happy with both. Even with fewer cells, the 6EXB provides much longer run time in trade off for less output. I think of them as 'emergency' light and 'task/work' light.

3) If you're going to go with AA's, make sure they are Eneloops and put 6 of them in there. Then use the extra voltage to run a 6EX, which comes in white, green or red.

wildstar87

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.

The 2D mag can pretty easily be converted to a 3C mag.

You need some 1" PVC 450PSI pipe, the exterior is a D size, and the interior is a C size.

You will need to cut the spring down, and sand off the anodizing in the tailcap.

Obviously you need to cut a length of PVC to fit the tube, but after you get the right length, just drop 3Cs down the tube, screw on the tailcap, and your done.

I just did this to a 2D with a H22A's "Hotlips clone" HAIII heatsink w/SSC P4, 3C direct drive on this, but in your case it will deliver the same voltage as 3Ds, just a bit less capacity.

All AAA,AA,C,D batteries are 1.5v, they just differ in capacity, so it wouldn't make any difference using AAs or something like that, but in this case it wouldn't get you anything. You would have to run one dummy cell, then a 3AA/D adapter, which would just get you less capacity than the 3C route.

Doing a 1D + 3AA/D could possibly fry the drop-in, since it's not spec'd to handle 6v, which the TLE-6EX is. In addition, you have one battery that is completely different capacity than the other three. I guess it might work, you would probably have to replace the AA batts at least 3-4 times over the course of 1D, but only if you were to use a TLE-6EX.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody,

I purchased the Terralux TLE-6EXB some months ago to replace the standard krypton bulb in my Maglite 2D. The difference was amazing. Even with quite low batteries it's much brighter than the krypton bulb with complete fresh batteries. And in opposite to the krypton bulb which brightness visibly decreases within a short time the brightness of the TLE-6EXB is visibly constant in hours!

Some weeks ago I bought a standard Maglite 3D, in purpose to place a Elektro Lumens Monsterthrow in it. I moved the TLE-6EXB from the 2D to the 3D. I actually experienced an increase of brightness.
But to be sure I tried with my lux meter. I have compared all of my flashlights with this instrument by shining up on the roof above my bed and with the lux meter lying on the bed.

I got the result that Terralux TLE-6EXB is about 30% brighter with the3D than with the 2D. This means that the brightness of TLE-6EXB with the 3D is nearly twice as with the standard krypton bulb and close to the standard 6D.
Terralux TLE-6EXB with the 2D is nearly 50% brighter than the standard 3D and about 2/3 the brightness of the standard 6D.

I would like to compare the Terralux to the Malkoff. But I suppose the better brightness of the Malkoff is resulting in shorter runtime.

Regards, Patric

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use to have the terralux drop-ins running it with 1x18650 and a spacer.
obviously it is bright until i get the H22A heatsink/a SSC LED from DX / 20 modes driver also from DX/UCL lens.
Wow!Was it brighther with UCL.

chewy78

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.

The 2D mag can pretty easily be converted to a 3C mag.

You need some 1" PVC 450PSI pipe, the exterior is a D size, and the interior is a C size.

You will need to cut the spring down, and sand off the anodizing in the tailcap.

Obviously you need to cut a length of PVC to fit the tube, but after you get the right length, just drop 3Cs down the tube, screw on the tailcap, and your done.

I just did this to a 2D with a H22A's "Hotlips clone" HAIII heatsink w/SSC P4, 3C direct drive on this, but in your case it will deliver the same voltage as 3Ds, just a bit less capacity.

All AAA,AA,C,D batteries are 1.5v, they just differ in capacity, so it wouldn't make any difference using AAs or something like that, but in this case it wouldn't get you anything. You would have to run one dummy cell, then a 3AA/D adapter, which would just get you less capacity than the 3C route.

Doing a 1D + 3AA/D could possibly fry the drop-in, since it's not spec'd to handle 6v, which the TLE-6EX is. In addition, you have one battery that is completely different capacity than the other three. I guess it might work, you would probably have to replace the AA batts at least 3-4 times over the course of 1D, but only if you were to use a TLE-6EX.

To keep it simple you dont need to keep modding something that already works just fine. And it will be more reliable at the same time.

Last edited:

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information. Although you always want bigger, better, brighter, I think I will just keep the 2 D cell like it is. I was just a little disappointed because I didn't research before my buy and therefore didn't know the TLE-6EXB wasn't as bright with 2 cells. Obviously, I just didn't think.

I would like to say, however, that this is my first LED and overall I am very happy with the light. As someone said before, I took a very dim Maglite and made it much brighter with more runtime. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?

chewy78

Enlightened
What you you do have is a huge improvement over the stock setup big time. Its even noticeably brighter than the 2 cell magled ,I tried that one too.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Terralux TLE-6EXB on a 3-C Maglite, and it is much brighter than the standard incan bulb, and I'm told, will give much better runtime. If you go with the 3-C mod to your 2-D Mag, I think you'll be quite happy with the brightness. Which would be good, because I'd guess if you go with the mod and remove the anodizing and clip the spring, as suggested, you're pretty much committed to using 3 Cs. :)