paypal issue AGAIN

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is getting to me, i sent a payment to BOG and paypal sent the payment as an e check, now i have to wait 3-5 days for the payment to clear plus 2-3 befor i get my light. I dont get it sometimes i can just do an instant transfer, my account says that my funding source if my paypal balance,"when available" and if i use up my paypal balance it does an auto transfer of the rest of the balance. I have also made a payment 's' where i pay the whole thing as an instant transfer. How do i know when this is available or not.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you make a payment, there is an area that says additional funding options. That takes you to a screen that gives options where the funds are to come from. Paypal will take whatever money is in the paypal balance, then go to the other funding options.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, there is also an dropdown menu where you can select an option i.e. "payment type" , The only option that it would give me is e check,

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a credit card tied to the account for backup use? I had similar issues some years ago, and I can't recall exactly what the problem was or how I resolved it, but I think it had somehting to do with not having a credit card tied to the account, and if it had to pull from my bank account, it would only do it with an e-check. One way around that is to tie a debit card (from the same bank account) to the paypal account.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do have a CC tied, but it is one which i recently cancelled, i did not update, my back up is my bank/debit same accont, as i mnetioned before if i ran out of money in PP the rest of the paymnet would be with drawn as an instant transfer, so i dont see why i just cant send the payment as an instant transfer, i have done it before?? IDK

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do have a CC tied, but it is one which i recently cancelled, i did not update, my back up is my bank/debit same accont, as i mnetioned before if i ran out of money in PP the rest of the paymnet would be with drawn as an instant transfer, so i dont see why i just cant send the payment as an instant transfer, i have done it before?? IDK
So it sounds like you don't have a current credit card tied to your Paypal account then, right? Even if your bank account is tied to Paypal, that doesn't mean your debit card (from the same account) is tied to the account, unless you specifically added it to the Paypal account as a credit card. I'm guessing that is what your problem is, you don't have a current and valid credit card associated with your account. Just add your debit card or another credit card to your paypal account and your e-check problem should be solved.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes me do an "echeck" sometimes instead of an instant transfer, and I have a valid credit card AND plenty of money in my bank account.
It never seems to happen on the small transactions.

They explicitly refuse to tell you why they did this in any particular case.

I think they do this for larger transactions because then they get the float for almost a week.
On the smaller transactions the check clearing costs and all would eat up the float, so they process those internally.

I had one seller ask me to split up my payment into 2 Paypal transactions.
I could not understand why they wanted me to do that, but both went through
as instant transfers. Maybe they were onto something.

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right, they seem to not tell you.. for example my account is set to my paypal balance "WHEN AVAILABLE" You have no way of knowing. I have made a payment out of my paypal balance before, no prob, I have made a payment with money in my PP acount and i had to do an e check, i have made a payment with PP money and the balance of the payment was an instant transfer, and lastly, payments have been full instant transer. The key phrase "when available" if i could find out what that means i would be happy

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The key for me was having an active card tied to the account - two sources for PP to draw from, if need be. That's their safety valve.

I had a similar thing happen within the last year - I bought something on BST and paid for it and the transaction went as an eCheck which would take a few days to clear.

I went into my account and found that the CC listed on the account had just expired. After I updated the info, all was well. BTW, I always had funds in my account that was tied to PP, but they just want the security of knowing that they have a backup to get paid (from a second account) if anything goes wrong. It's an easy fix.

Not saying that I agree with PP's rules, but if you want to play in their game, then it's with their rules....