Novatac Lanyard - creation and uses

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Okay - I've been experimenting with various lanyard configs with the Novatac, and I think I've come up with a good lanyard setup that is effective that I'd like to share with people.

There are some advantages to this particular methodology that I'm going to show - it's useable with some of the more common flashlight holds, and allows you to use your support hand for a wide variety of other tasks as well.

So - starting off, here's the lanyard.

novatac_lanyard1.jpg

novatac_lanyard2.jpg

novatac_lanyard3.jpg

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Re: Novatac Lanyard - uses and usefulness

Now - here's some usefulness to it.

Wrapping the lanyard around your middle and ring fingers so it can be used for the FBI, Harries, and Neck Index techniques.

novatac_lanyard_method1a.jpg

novatac_lanyard_method1b.jpg

novatac_lanyard_method1c.jpg

novatac_lanyard_method1d.jpg

novatac_lanyard_method1e.jpg

Beastmaster

Enlightened

Next - wrapping the lanyard around your index and middle fingers so that you can perform the SureFire/Rogers and Thorpe techniques.

novatac_lanyard_method2a.jpg

novatac_lanyard_method2b.jpg

novatac_lanyard_method2c.jpg

novatac_lanyard_method2d.jpg

Beastmaster

Enlightened

How to make it:

This uses the standard (high profile) pocket clip from Novatac.

Take a length of 550 Paracord, one spring loaded cordlock, and a lighter.

Cut the 550 Paracord to a desired length. I used about 30 inches worth.

Melt the ends.

Going from the front - insert one end, then the other through the hole.
novatac_making_lanyard1.jpg

Pull through until you have a 6" long loop. Tuck the loop under the clip and then pull the cord tight.

novatac_making_lanyard2.jpg

novatac_making_lanyard3.jpg

Now bring the long ends around the front and the top of the clip as shown.

novatac_making_lanyard4.jpg

Knot it at the front as shown and tighten down.

novatac_making_lanyard5.jpg

Now, add the cordlock. Then knot the end furthest from the clip. Install clip as normal.

Supernam

Enlightened
I feel the Novatac is too short of a light for "tactical" usages (however you may define that). My hands aren't big, but when I hold my 120T in a Harries grip, my pinky blocks some of the beam. If I scoot the light forward more so that my pink doesn't bock the beam, I find it a bit unergonomic depressing the button with my thumb.

I suppose as a compact EDC type light, sometimes you gotta just make it work. But if I had a choice, I'd go with a longer longer, more ergonomic light for tactical applications.

houtex

Enlightened
I gonna have to give it a try when I pick up the black novatac next week from the hound. You always provide good pics Beast.:thumbsup:

I just received a First-Light Tomahawk. Do you have any thoughts on that light?

ghq1

Newly Enlightened
I feel the Novatac is too short of a light for "tactical" usages .
Totally agree here . .3 inches isn't enough for easy thumb activation on my hand anyway . .Great light, great options, compact but too "fumbly" . ..A spacer or extension to get it 4-5" would be ideal . .

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold on a sec, is that a 120T?? Did you shave that switch cover?? It looks shorter...

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I gonna have to give it a try when I pick up the black novatac next week from the hound. You always provide good pics Beast.:thumbsup:

I just received a First-Light Tomahawk. Do you have any thoughts on that light?

It's on my list to go and buy. I actually like the design, and it's got the compactness that I like, with the multi-mode LED and multi-color LED of the Kroma. It's cool.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hold on a sec, is that a 120T?? Did you shave that switch cover?? It looks shorter...

Nope. It's a 120P tailcap with my "Poor Man's Novatac Tactical" Mod.

It gives you a purchase on your button and extends it, without the need to permanently swap over to a tactical tailcap. It also gives you the ability to mod a black Novatac 120P to have tactical button abilities without the need to do tailcap transplant surgery.

You can go to Ace Hardware, Target, WalMart, or any hardware store that carries the vinyl rubber bumpers, or even the harder foam "soft dots". All will work with the 120P. And it's reversible.

-Steve

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same issue with my pinky finger covering some of the beam when I first got my Novatac. I have since adjusted my hold as to not interfere with the beam. That lanyard set-up looks great Beastmaster :thumbsup:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I did a similar thing with my NovaTac, using a SS lanyard ring from Lighthound and a beaded chain, from dog tags which I trimmed so it's long enough to slip my first two fingers in. It works if I hold the light like an ice pick or like a cigar.

Also, as I take it out of my pocket, I slip my fingers into the chain, so I don't have to worry about dropping my $150 light down a gully in the dark.

I actually tried it with a short length of paracord at first, but the chain seems to work better.

Cheers.