What's up with my monitor ?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just turned on my computer to check my email and when Windows booted, everything came out in 16:9 aspect ratio instead of the normal 4:3 that my screen normally is. I don't normally use "widescreen" and my resolution is still at 1024x768

Until I figure this out, I'll have to deal with those "black bars" on top and on bottom.

Widescreen.jpg

K A

Enlightened
It has been a while since I have had a regular monitor (use LCD now). But you can 'stretch' the image horizontally and vertically. You would just have to go into the monitors settings (the buttons on the monitor itself) to stretch the image back to the edges of the screen. If that doesn't work then something might be wrong with your monitor.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turned it back on again today and now it's back to normal. It's been working fine all day now. I might have to take a look at my video card itself though.

:rolleyes::confused:

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet KA's onto it. Monitor adjustment rather than video card. That Start button looks pretty w-i-d-e to my eyes, and so does the screen resolution settings window. The My Computer looks pretty darned close to the top edge of the background image too, so maybe something's getting cut off but that's harder to tell.

I bet your monitor popped back to auto-adjust when you restarted it up. I hope it stays that way for you.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes settings can get knocked out of whack..and then the adjusting begins. (Trust me,I know.. I own a HP A7217A 24-inch widescreen CRT.Takes a lot of fiddling to get the image centered.)