MAG 1111 Twister!!

plasmaman

Enlightened
Thanks to Duq for the host…
Bought a nice black Mirageman sub 2D from cpf Duq recently, which had no switch or reflector installed, so figured it would be fun to try a twisty Mag.
Host length is good for 2 x 18650, so decided to use WA1111 bulb. It came with this battery spacer:
IMG_2232.jpg

To make this work, the body tube (grounded) needs to make contact with the bulb ground, so decided to use Ultrafire reflector with screw in bulb. This one:
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3981
I have used these reflectors in other Mags I have built, and for the money they are excellent value. Nice MOP finish, aluminium, and with careful turning will fit the Mag head. See before (right) and after (left) here:
IMG_2227.jpg

Reflector fits in head. Body will make contact with backside of reflector – but I needed to play a little with the head thread on the lathe to get the body to the right position when fully screwed down. See body here:
IMG_2226.jpg

Took a blown Ultrafire WF 500 bulb, desoldered both springs and bulb, and soldered in new WA111, resoldered positive contact spring. Spacer needed to get bulb height right. 1111 in bulb holder here:
IMG_2229.jpg

Needed to make good contact at the tailcap, so made a new contact board with spring attached. This just sits in the tailcap. The braid makes contact with the bottom of the cap which is de-anodised:
IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

– and voila – One MagTwisty:
IMG_2224.jpg

Good output, and beam, small form, and no switch!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: MAG 11 D size Twisty!!

My first though when I read the title was "Maglite twistie with 11 D cells? Wow, that's huge!"

Great mod!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod buddy. That holder only took my five minutes to make....not exactly photogenic. Glad it's being put to good use.