Upgrading emitter in Draco Turbo head

acourvil

Enlightened
Has anyone swapped emitters in their Draco turbohead? I have a chrome turbo that I got from another CPF member. It has a Seoul emitter, but the light is very blue, and I prefer a warmer tint. If it's not to difficult, I'd like to swap the emitter for a warmer one, but I'm reluctant to start pulling it apart w/o knowing a little about how it is put together.

weedle256

Newly Enlightened
I have watched Modamag work on them...

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't touch it!

Too many small connections and very little room to work.

Unless you're looking for a learning opportunity, and a challenge, get it back to Modamag.

acourvil

Enlightened
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is information about how to do it.

I had a pre-paid order in for a turbo head with modamag for 6+ months, and it eventually was cancelled (not my choice) with very limited communications about the status. If you look at the draco thread, it seems that he is having trouble keeping communications current, other then sending out new orders. I'm not inclined to send something in for work and wait an undefined period to see if I get it back.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said earlier, you can come over my house one weekend afternoon and we'll upgrade your light together. I'll be sipping my Lemonaid while you solder away.

Alright, I know you want to be self sufficient and get the gratification of doing it yourself. Here's what you need to do.

1) First off disassemble the reflector housing from the light engine. Keep the reflector housing and all the part inside facing up.

- That will minimize the particles collected inside. A strand of lint will not be much of a problem in a MagLite but in your Draco you'll see it CLEARLY. As a matter of facts, I originally assemble the head part in a Class 1, then Class 10,000 cleanroom before I refine the assembly process to do it at home.

2) Now you got it apart you will see two wires connected to your LED, Desolder those.

3) Replace your LED. Remember about the electrical isolation of the backside. And make sure the leads & solder are cleared from the reflector when it mate.

4) Put everything together again.

Simple process, yet tedious to do correctly.

acourvil

Enlightened
Thanks. I opened it up last night and saw exactly what you described. I haven't pulled the emitter of yet; I wanted to wait until I have enough time free from disturbances. The Dracos really are great lights.

And I do like to be self-sufficient :)