What's a Basic Modders Toolkit?

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
What is your basic toolkit for modding flashlights? I've collected enough flashlights now that I think I'm ready to start modding. Don't really want any new lights, they all seem kind of the same now. So, what is the absolute minimum needed to start modding, board/emitter replacment, no machining?

Mods sorry if this is the wrong forum, it seemed liked the only viable place.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hmmm... well what's yer budget? :devil:

GREAT question! :thumbsup: While there are threads on each ONE of these tools, I don't recall seeing a "modders toolkit" thread like you posted! Cool!

While each person's uses and modding requirements are different, I'd say most of 'em have some or most of the following:

-Soldering station
-Rotary tool
-Third/helping hands
-Small plier/cutters/strippers set
-Digital caliper
-Digital multimeter

Stuff that you might not need right away, but will eventually want:
-Lux meter
-Power supply

Hmm.. :thinking: that's all I can think of for the basic stuff. Obviously stuff like solder and wire, and parts (LED's, converters, reflectors, etc.) are necessary too, but I was concentrating on tools. :)

I left brands outta it, as you can go the eBay route and spend as little as you want, or go the "Only the best tools" route and go broke! To give you a hint about which group I belong to, I'm writing this from my van down by the river. :laughing: (Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Good luck, and happy modding!

john

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Butane soldering iron $50
-Artic Aluminum 2 part epoxy $10
-Helping hands with magnifying glass $5
-Some small plastic spring clamps .25 cents
-solder sucker or solder braid
-Rubber strap wrenches
-Loctite blue
-Isopropyl alcohol

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an EXCELLENT idea for a thread. I am subscribing and hoping to learn something! :thumbsup:

Greg G

Enlightened
You need a pair of magnifying glasses and a headlight for them.

These are a must IMO.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking thru my case of tools:

Tweezers
Pliers
Wire Cutters
Small Screwdrivers
Hacksaw
Files
Hex Wrenches
Drill
Drill Bits
Headlamp
Small Magnets
Alligator ClipsWires of many sizes
Exacto Knife Set
Heatsinks (salvaged from PC)
Scraps of copper
Breadboard
Silver Solder
Rosin Solder
Flux
Soldering Iron
Batteries of every type
Springs
Maglite Guts
O-rings
2 part Epoxy
Lubes (for flashlights)
IR Thermometer
Superglue
Resistors (bulk pack)
More room in the toolbox...

All the previously posted items as well.

Wait was this about BASIC toolkits?
Well if it all fits in my tacklebox I'm good to go.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like I'm partially there. I've got the following:
Cheap Soldering Iron
DVOM
Dremel
Strap Wrenches
Digital Caliper

I need to get some small pliers/cutters, and a helping hand.
Does anyone have a link to a decent helping hand? Seems like something Harbor Freight might have. I buy some tools from them that don't have a tail.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add to the list:

Plasters (for when you cut yourself),
Safety glasses for when using the rotary tool,
Minor burn cream (soldering irons are dam hot, it will happen).
A cup of tea.

Let us know how you get on.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I try to keep spare parts from various lights over the years and most of the parts come from cheap lights that I have torn up or simply worn out. I find it very nice to have various salvaged luxeon emitters as well as 5mm LEDs. I have many reflectors, heat sinks, several scrap circuits for salvaging resistors and coils from, a bunch of old AAA dorcy circuits, and many other bits and parts that I once thought useless but always find a use for.

I started with the Dorcy AAA circuit and first began playing around with modding it to different hosts and powering luxeons. It is an easy curcuit to get for 6 dollars at any Wal-Mart and easy to remove for modding. You can also use the Dorcy body as a host for other stuff and salvage the reflector or optic for other stuff.

If you can find any older NX-05 or Fraen Optics these are also fun to play with and not as hard to get centered as reflectors. I also keep some clear spray paint for lightly frosting reflectors when I want to smooth out beams.

If you use your imagination you can keep anything in your kit and have fun. I have seen many great modders here start out small experimenting however sadly I am not one of the greats...LOL

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
where can one get a good Lumen/Lux meter?

You can do some research on homemade Light Integrating Sphere's that can approximate lumens based upon calibrating from certain lights (there are some cool ones around here), but to actually measure lumens you need a real calibrated LI sphere which is beyond the means of most users here. Think thousands for the unit and then the same (or more) for regular calibrations.

Most of us use a Lux meter, and do a ceiling bounce to compare to other lights. I bought mine off BST here.

schiesz

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
MeterMan LM631 could be considered the standard decent-quality light meter on CPF - however, ever they can vary quite a bit. Light measurements, unless taken from a calibrated Integrating Sphere (as Schiesz says), aren't accurate, and are only good for comparison's sake to another light... but are GREAT for that purpose!
FWIW, I have a LM631 and love it. :thumbsup:
john

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
Good list above. Only things I can add would be multiple multi meters. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to measure current AND voltage at the same time.

Also buy jumper wires with alligator clips on both ends. They usually come in sets of 2 (black and red). Get about 3 sets.

Pick up at least a dozen of the newer DX rare earth magnets. They are larger than the older ones and stronger. They make bench testing with batteries sooo much easier.