Can E1-E be converted to LED

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
Is there a way to convert the E1-1 to Led instead of incandescent?

THE PUNISHER

Newly Enlightened
True swap the head,the led heads are bullit proof,the incandesent bulbs burnt out on me often.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drilled out the reflector in mine and replaced it with an Mcr18 and made a light engine with a Penny as the heatsink, a driver board from a Dorcy 1X123 flashlight and a Seoul. I put it on a Vital Gear body and attached it to my keys. Nice Small Light!!! It can be done.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old one that Mountaineer bored out, cut down a McR20 reflector to fit, and threaded to hold an Aleph light engine. Put it on a vital gear body. Its been my favorite light for a long time.

The E-MT F1 is the simplest, easiest solution for retaining the original bezel, though. My wife has one in her E1W and its impressive.

schiesz

Zenster

Enlightened
I don't mean to sound like a smart ***, but wouldn't an E1E converted to LED be referred to as an "E1L"?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than getting an E1E and then looking for a led head if that is your intentions, you would be better off getting the E1L latest gen...saves you some waiting time. Latest version has the 2-stage which is more useful now than previous gens.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Latest version has the 2-stage which is more useful now than previous gens.

What? How did I miss this? E1L has 2 stage? Is that with the KX1 head?

** EDIT ** I see it on the surefire site now. No idea how I missed this one. Thats pretty cool actually. E1L was always a great light. Now it might be better.

schiesz

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What? How did I miss this? E1L has 2 stage? Is that with the KX1 head?

schiesz
Yep also with the E2L. It took me by surprise really when I was browsing through SF website. Its not available as yet but it will soon. There is a thread on this in the led section. The way it works is the electronics on the head instead on the TC. The TC is the same clicky. IMO the E1L is more desireble now........or just get the KX1 2-stage head

Nathan

Enlightened
The E-MT F1 is the simplest, easiest solution for retaining the original bezel, though. My wife has one in her E1W and its impressive.

+1 on the F1.
I estimate output to be around 80 lumens, with a very impressive spill area. Mine is on an VG FB1 body - makes for a very compact E-series LED light. Plus it can take a rechargeable.

The new 2-level KX1 and KX2 heads are similar to the E1B head, except their first level is low, then high. SF.com says they will be available next month.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
I actually just did this mod last night. I had to bore the entire reflector out of the head and make a driver-heatsink-cree-reflector dropin to fit it, but it works really well. I'll post pics later when I get home

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually just did this mod last night. I had to bore the entire reflector out of the head and make a driver-heatsink-cree-reflector dropin to fit it, but it works really well. I'll post pics later when I get home

YES!! PLEASE DO!!

I was thinkin bout modding another one of my spare heads with a Cree Q5 I have laying around, but I gotta buy a reflector.