New Light Help

ChrisAHF

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire L4 that I have been very satisfied with thus far. I only wish it had some more runtime and maybe a little more throw. Everything else is perfect for me, reliable,size(perfect for EDC), pocket clip, and uses CR123. So any suggestions?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, you like your L4, but want more runtime and throw? If you don't mind less output, you could go for a KX2 LED head.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. The KX2 is the head from the E2L Outdoorsman and the replacement LED head for the E2E executive. The E2E, E2L, and L4 are all part of what we at CPF call the "E Series" of Surefire lights, and all of the parts including heads and tailcaps are interchangeable. Depending on how complicated you want to get, some consideration may have to be taken when choosing battery type; but for your purpose it is a direct replacement. Also, the current KX2 (45 lumens) is going to become a two level head around March or April. Just something to think about.

ChrisAHF

Newly Enlightened
Yes. The KX2 is the head from the E2L Outdoorsman and the replacement LED head for the E2E executive. The E2E, E2L, and L4 are all part of what we at CPF call the "E Series" of Surefire lights, and all of the parts including heads and tailcaps are interchangeable. Depending on how complicated you want to get, some consideration may have to be taken when choosing battery type; but for your purpose it is a direct replacement. Also, the current KX2 (45 lumens) is going to become a two level head around March or April. Just something to think about.

What is a two level head. Does that mean two optional levels of output. Sorry im not very flashlight savy yet.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Two levels of output in the same head. The levels are controlled by the driver in the head though I'm not sure how the mode changing works. Though the head would have slightly less output and there would be less spill.

ChrisAHF

Newly Enlightened
why would there be less output and spill? would that result in more runtime?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It has more runtime.

E2L, L4. As you can tell, the E2L is rated at 60 lumen and the L4 is rated at 100 lumen.

The KX2 head uses an optic with a Cree LED driven at around 300-400 mA(My guess from the specs they give, around 1 to 1.3 watt). The optic would focus more of the light into the hotspot, resulting in more throw. The light that doesn't get focused by the optic turns into the spill.

The L4 uses the Luxeon V. I don't know the drive current but from the runtime, I'm guessing the LED is driven at around 6.5-7 watt.

L4 beamshot(10 meters), new E2L beamshot(10 meter) 5 meter beamshots from this site, 10 meter beamshots form this site.

You can tell from the above beamshots that the L4 has more overall output but the E2L illuminated the target more.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming from the L4, the E2L with either version of the KX2 is going to be much dimmer. However, that is the case with most LED lights when compared to the L4. The advantage to the KX2 is primarily the long runtime. The beam pattern and two stage operation are, in my opinion, user preferences and task specific so I can't really say they will improve the light. Another option is to buy the OpticsHQ E series head reviewed here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187677

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Optics HQ upgrade LED heads for the Surefire E-series. They will give you a good combo of spill/throw, and will be brighter than your KL4 head yet still have longer runtime. The KX-series heads have an optic that is almost opposite of your KL4's "wall of light".