Surefire Kroma Usefulness!!!!

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Kroma yesterday not expecting to be wowed by it since I haven't seen that many raves about it. When it was initially announced with much fanfare I thought this light would be a big hit. Anyway, I must say that I am impressed with this light. It has basically everything you need in one light.
A high and low white, high and low red, high and low blue. I don't think I will use the blue that much but it is a nice feature. Add to that the fact that I pulled the body off of my U2 which accepts 18650 cells, slapped on Kroma bezle and switch. Wala........a single cell rechargeable long runtime Kroma.
The only drawback for me is not being able to EDC it because of the large bezel. That and I like to pocket carry my lights which narrows it down to single cell body lights. For the most part it will be a great nightstand queen for checking things that go bump in the night. I was able to thread a Surefire lanyard through the clip and it hangs nicely around my neck. Anyone else been surprised by the Kroma????

Paul

lightemup

Flashaholic*
+1, my Kroma is now my nightstand light, absolutely perfect for it. It isn't exactly a barn burner, but with the low red light for getting to the bathroom during the night plus the instant push for full power, I changed my opinion too :)

I should note as well that its high beam is about perfect, it will light up a room and performs well outside for 90% of what I need. Thumbs up to the Kroma :)

snowmanco

Newly Enlightened
I feel the same. I was lucky enough to find one on sale recently at a Sportsman's Warehouse when they decided to markdown their expensive lights to clear out inventory and have been very happy. I agree about it being excellent for bedside use; it really has everything needed and I like the UI to always have high white on demand.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mixed feeling about the Kroma. On one hand I have seen it in person and really like how intuitive it is to use. On the other hand I wished they had waited a little bit(I know, hindsight is 20/20) and reep the efficiency gain of the Crees. I hope they update it in the near future so I can justify another light.

GreySave

Enlightened
+1 for what lightmeup said. The Kroma is an excellent low output performer with a beautiful moderately powered high beam that also resides on my nightstand.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I just got a Streamlight Sidewinder and for only $50 I find it to have much of the same appeal. Red, Blue and Green LEDs. and a a white as well. Each have 4 power levels too choose from. You have a nice bright to a long runtime at your disposal. All this on the easy form factor of AAs.

Most people would consider these lights to be in 2 very different leagues but from a function standpoint of being a multitasker I'd say they share a good deal.

jufam44

Enlightened
My Kroma works great with the body from the U2, and when running 17670's in it the runtime is incredible! The Milspec head gives you all kinds of krazy LED colors, and the IR is great for filming. Overall, I LOVE MY KROMA!

cv3po

Banned
For those who love the versatility of the Kroma but wish it had a little more oomph, I've heard good reports of this light:
http://www.first-light-usa.com/tomahawkmc.php

Looks like it could be another great multi-purpose or bed table light with the bonus of double the output should you need it.

BigD64

Enlightened
Kroma is great for sneaking into bed without waking the wife. Low red rocks.

greenstuffs

Banned
I loved the kroma and don't know why i sold it, had the milspec and the beam was very nice hope i can get one soon as they become cheaper and cheaper.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
The Kroma is a nice package , well designed for its intended use . All that said , its probably not the ideal civilian EDC . For the fraternity who need it , its a great piece of kit . BTW , I want one , just that there are others that are more usefull to me .

Chris

knightrider

Enlightened
I like mine too. The thing I don't like is how it carries in a front pocket, or rather how it doesn't carry in a front pocket... cool light with many features but the bezel is wide. Personally don't know why they included a pocket clip at all for it. Almost sold mine recently and changed my mind before it sold, it is pretty cool and black HA.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kroma is great for sneaking into bed without waking the wife. Low red rocks.

I thought I was the only one that uses it to sneak into bed. I purposely shine it at her on low red just to see if she will react. Not a peep!!!!!!!!!
:devil:

I took my Kroma outside last night and was impressed with the throw on white high.
:thumbsup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I had one for about a year before i sold it .It was built like a tank and yes had a nice beam but i found that the red/blue led were not real practical and the run time was good but not up to par for a 2 cell light.

Aepoc

Enlightened
I have had my kroma for about a year and a half now and I have no complaints... except for tint.

My favorite activity for the kroma is swimming!

It has the lowest setting i own which is perfect for getting up in the middle of the night

its a shame it wasn't more popular.

l2icel3all

Newly Enlightened
I'm very excited about it. I know its an older model but I just ordered one a few days ago. Only problem is it will take 4-5 weeks for me to received it. But the upside to it.....-DRUM ROLL PLEASE-........ It was only 119.99 and its brand new.

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
i actually use the low blue more than any other mode it still has the long run time but lights things up on a trail much better than low red or low white.