Issue with my Malkoff...

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I am having some sort of contact issue with my Malkoff and the lighthound stainless steel head on my 6PL. With everything assembled, if I shake the light I can hear a rattle. It will power on, but if I shake the light it will go off then back on. I put my stock bezel on and didn't have any issues, and no rattling either. Do you think I should try the spacer ring that Malkoff sells for the shock isolated bezels? Anyone else have this combo and experience anything like this?

On a side note, this dang Malkoff is BRIGHT!!!!! According to my lightmeter it's the brightest single LED light I have ever owned! Previously, that title was held by my DBS V2 with an R2-bin. The Malkoff has about 20% more output than my DBS!! What an amazing piece of work, I am so glad I finally got a Malkoff. I can now understand why these are so hard to get :naughty:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the rattle, I'm sure someone will answer that shortly. I also found my M60 has a lot of output. I was kinda scratching my head when I saw the result in my bounce box, but I wasn't sure if I could trust it because the M60 has so much spill, and bright spill, I thought it might give a different reading because the spill is brighter in an area of the box that is reflecting on the meter's sensor, or whatever.

In my bounce box, at the time I was testing my lights, it gave me 408 lux. My DBS R2 was the closest to it, with 378 lux. So maybe it really was putting out more light.

Gene claims the optic he is using is very efficient, and maybe it has less loss than a reflector based light.

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
I think that if you were to place an O-Ring (24/25mm) inside between the head and the drop in your rattle will/should be gone immediately. Worked with mine, but I used a 22mm Glowring. Coudla been that 2 or 3mm's bigger to fit 110%

Try it, should work!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
lighthound stainless steel head
Using a stock G2 head, or a stock 6P head, the fit is perfect, no rattle & the head fully screws down. My guess is that the Lighthound head may be bottoming out against the battery tube flange, leaving a tiny bit of room at the lens/drop in contact.

If that's the case, you'll need to remove enough material from the 'back' of the head, where it contacts the batt tube flange, so that there is a snug fit at the lens/drop in contact. It wouldn't be fatal to remove too much, but then you'd have a visible gap at the head/flange joint.

place an O-Ring (24/25mm) inside between the head and the drop in
That should give the same result without machining the head.

jinx626

Enlightened
I have the same issue... you can buy the ring and it should fix the problem, if it fits. I have a 6PD clone... the ring didn't quite fit so I find a thin metal and bent it nice and round then solder it together... works perfectly...

I suggest you make it or go to the hardware to get one...altho Gene have it for $1..shipping is expensive... But Gene is a great guy... ask him will he ship it with regular mail (~$2)... he did for me... actually he gave the ring to me for free and paid for shipping...hella nice guy!

jinx626

Enlightened
Shouldn't that be more like 41¢?

No... he didn't just put it in a regular envelope... he use the one with bubble inside the envelope... I saw the price..it was stamped $1.41 or something along that line... I guess he didn't want me to pay for it cause paypal will eat it up anyway..so he was being very nice to give me the ring and pay for shipping...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Gene claims the optic he is using is very efficient, and maybe it has less loss than a reflector based light.

IIRC, the optic he uses is this one. A normal reflector setup for a LED is around 70% efficient from what I've read.

He does have a ring for the contact issue, it might fix the problem.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've since heard that he's using a 6˚ optic that is otherwise identical to the KD ones.

Actually, he is now using the Khatod KEPL1127 because he was having quality issues with the Cree branded optics.

http://www.khatod.com/k52_lens_xlamp.htm

I've been told by Gene the Khatod offers a little more throw, but that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you've got them side by side.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
he is now using the Khatod KEPL1127
Thanks for the link - fascinating reading:thumbsup:

For an inexpensive drop in (at least when compared to high dollar mods) the M60 is awesome. I was always happy with the SF L4 ... until trying the M60.

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple different sized glow o-rings coming from lighthound which should be here on Monday. What size o-ring will I need in inches? If that doesn't work I will try out Gene's ring and see if it will fit.

Currently I am running the stock 6P head with and drop-in and it is working 100%. I did see about a ~15 lumen increase out the front with the Lighthound head as I have a UCL lens in it :cool:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple different sized glow o-rings coming from lighthound which should be here on Monday. What size o-ring will I need in inches? If that doesn't work I will try out Gene's ring and see if it will fit.

Currently I am running the stock 6P head with and drop-in and it is working 100%. I did see about a ~15 lumen increase out the front with the Lighthound head as I have a UCL lens in it :cool:

Uh, the ring people are talking about is not a rubber O-ring that goes on the body tube but rather a copper ring that acts as a spacer inside between the dropin module and the inside of the body (I think). Someone in a similar thread here had said they used a 1/4" copper washer too.

generic808

Enlightened
Yes, that was me who just used a brass washer. I bought a 4 pack of 1/4" washers from Lowe's for $.87 and it does the job just fine. I think a 1/2" might fit a little better though.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I fixed it :) I just used the ground spring from another drop-in module and cut the spring down to 2 coils and streched it to fit around the Malkoff. No rattle and good contact now. My 6P looks like a beast again :D

I can't get over how bright this thing is! What amazed me the most was the throw. I new it had a nice big beam, but was not expecting this thing to light up objects 100yds away! I am addicted to Malkoff :sssh: