impressed with quality of P2D Q5

glenda17

Enlightened
My only other quality flashlight was a Inova T3. The P2D Q5 has much better beam quality, less rings. It is also much brighter. The threads and finish are high quality. I think the only reason people question fenix quality is because they are lightweight, but that is the intened design. Glad I finally bought the P2D, I was very leary having been burnt on cheap chinese goods recommended on other hobbyist forums (not flashlights.) Thanks to CPF's for bringing a dream EDC flashlight to my attention.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
My only other quality flashlight was a Inova T3. The P2D Q5 has much better beam quality, less rings. It is also much brighter. The threads and finish are high quality. I think the only reason people question fenix quality is because they are lightweight, but that is the intened design. Glad I finally bought the P2D, I was very leary having been burnt on cheap chinese goods recommended on other hobbyist forums (not flashlights.) Thanks to CPF's for bringing a dream EDC flashlight to my attention.

Actually glenda17 the reason people question fenix quality is because it can be questionable. They have rush released several torches (eg 1st run P1D-CE) which apparently had zero QC out of the factory - incredibly loose threads, badly off centre emitters, off centre lathing, dirt and dust on reflectors, dodgy switches etc. They have definitely improved things, I was impressed with the L1D-Q5 for instance.

Fenix generally make good torches for decent prices, but as with all things, you get what you pay for.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF glenda17,
I'm happy you were able to find a torch that suits your needs, and yes the Fenix P2D is fine light that should serve you well for years to come. Enjoy!

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd heard a lot of people say Inova has the best quality of the flashlights at Target etc. But then again, I haven't owned one...

Actually glenda17 the reason people question fenix quality is because it can be questionable. They have rush released several torches (eg 1st run P1D-CE) which apparently had zero QC out of the factory - incredibly loose threads, badly off centre emitters, off centre lathing, dirt and dust on reflectors, dodgy switches etc. They have definitely improved things, I was impressed with the L1D-Q5 for instance.

Fenix generally make good torches for decent prices, but as with all things, you get what you pay for.

LOL. he's saying he's impressed with the build quality, and you're saying he's wrong, or at least not entirely correct. "you get what you pay for" ?? You say that in a thread about the biggest company that proves that wrong. I sure hope I'm not paying $200 for a thicker body tube!

I'm not trying to get into an argument, I just think its odd that you'd defend pricier brands to the point of telling someone their opinion about their own flashlight is wrong.

glenda17

Enlightened
I'll be honest I was scared to fork out $60 on a chinese flashlight based on some of the posts here, but the design was just what I needed. I remember buying my first small led flashlight straight from china off ebay years ago. The pcb cracked the first day of use. This Fenix is nothing like that, I can't make it fail, the machining is good. The beam is very smooth without a dozen rings like the T3. I'm very happy with it.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm very happy with it.

And you're not alone! I love mine and was very impressed with it also.

However, by hanging around here too much, I ended up buying a Novatac 120P which has replaced the 2 week old P2D Premium as my EDC!! The P2D is brighter but that's all it has on the Novatac.

Darnit CPF!

Masque

Newly Enlightened
I'm not trying to get into an argument, I just think its odd that you'd defend pricier brands to the point of telling someone their opinion about their own flashlight is wrong.

I think, while being an optimist, that his point was that if the OP is impressed by the quality of Fenix, he'll be even more impressed by lights of even higher repute. Hard to argue with that!

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think, while being an optimist, that his point was that if the OP is impressed by the quality of Fenix, he'll be even more impressed by lights of even higher repute. Hard to argue with that!

definitely won't argue with that. but i haven't seen his posts before, and I know of a number of people who definitely would not mean that. so I'll just assume he means what you're saying, and leave it at that :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I would say getting lights from DX or KD would be a crap shoot for the most part.

I feel a LOT better when I order Fenix that I'll be happy.

Bashing Fenix is not going to win you friends here.....

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P2D is brighter but that's all it has on the Novatac.

Don't forget one important advantage of the Fenix over the NovaTac... SIZE! That's the reason that I EDC my P2D over my 120p. The 120p is just too much of a bulge in my pocket.

Regarding the original post, I just received my second P2D, this one a Q5 and I couldn't be more pleased. I have six Fenix lights and each has performed admirably.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P2D maybe the perfect EDC for me, and many others. It's small, affordable, great quality, plenty tough, great circuit for great run times, super bright when needed, nice beam, etc. I'm on my 2nd P2D, couldn't resist getting the Q5 version, but my P2D Q2 is still going strong.

We've heard of Fenix lights going through the washer and drier with no problems, being dropped, etc, and they keep going.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
definitely won't argue with that. but i haven't seen his posts before, and I know of a number of people who definitely would not mean that. so I'll just assume he means what you're saying, and leave it at that :)

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I meant! I don't come to CPF to start arguments, I have a wife for that purpose :)

I'm definitely not dissing on Fenix, as far as I'm concerned they've probably done more than any other company to introduce lots of people to affordable high performance LED lights. Here, I'll rephrase the whole thing...

1 - While the latest run of fenix lights are definitely well made, some of their earlier ones were most definitely not.

2 - Fenix generally make great value for money torches.

3 - If you are prepared to pay (significantly) more, there are torches that will blow fenix out of the water.

PS Before I operated on my sig it had just about every fenix model in there.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Don't forget one important advantage of the Fenix over the NovaTac... SIZE! That's the reason that I EDC my P2D over my 120p. The 120p is just too much of a bulge in my pocket.

Now I don't want this to turn into yet another Novatac "ra ra ra" thread but I was ready to put my 1 hour old 120P on the CPFMP after going outside and doing some brightness tests where the 120P lost. But then I shined the P2D at the ceiling and saw what others have mentioned: A pretty little cresent moon of black and a cool greenish/yellowish ring, all around the hotspot. The Novatac has none of that. Then I started paying more attention to the threads and the UI and other things and I can see why people go crazy over the 120P so it's growing on me.

But anyway, the P2D is a great light, no question. It's got a decent set of features, its viciously bright, all in a great value, small package! I came really close to buying the P3D as well but haven't yet because I'm not a full fledged "flashaholic" yet and still have "some" willpower left!!

Enjoy!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P2D-Q5 is one of the finest EDC lights available today in my opinion. I personally know at least 4 people who only EDC the P2D-Q5. It's small, versatile, fairly tough, and bright. Since I'm a flashaholic I move around between carrying a Nitecore, Nautilus, Proton Pro, and E1B. But, if I was told I could only carry one light that took a single CR123 battery it would be the P2D-Q5.

Bill

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
I have owned plenty of costly lights - Surefire, HDS, Arc 4+, Novatac....I cycle through EDCing most of them. However, I also must admit, I really enjoy the fenix product. I have an L0D on my keychain. It is so small and light you would forget it is there but when needed, it puts out an incredible amount of light for its size.

Typically, the fenix lights feel lighter and on a gut level, to me, that feels "cheap" compared to the weighty Surefires. However, then came the T1. The T1 has the feel of a surefire. And for it's price, to me it was a bargin. It did a better job of lighting up my back yard than my Surefire U2 at about $200 less. (Sure it only has two settings, but for the price it was a great value.)

I have purchased about 8 fenixes in the last 2 years, and haven't had any QC issues with any of them.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently added the Fenix T1 and L2D both with the Q5 bin 7090 LED or whatever the heck its called, to my collection.

The Fenix T1is now my #1 tactical carry light. It measured 230 lumens on a set of Delkin rechargeable 123's into the Integration Sphere of Truth at work on high and 52 lumens on low.

The Fenix L2D is now my EDC. It measured 145 lumens on high, 8 on low, 37 med-low, 76 on high-med. Power is constant. Didn't matter if I was using new alkaline AA's or 60 percent charge rechargeables per my new ZTS pulse load battery tester (handy little device that is).

It out shines my Inova T3 which measured 100 lumens (not bad since its rated at 85 lumens, got a good one at Fry's).

My Inova T5 new style without the TIROS, also measured 100 lumens and my original old stayle Inova T5 with the TIROS only measured 50 lumens, which I reported a long time ago. All into the same Integration Sphere.

The Fenix T1 literally lights up the entire 5 bay wide shooting range with its dingy grey cinderblock walls and floor from wall to wall with a great central beam on target, in an otherwise pitch black building. The down side is, the Tritium night sights are washed out and its back to a silhouette of the sights to get on target.

The L2D is even brighter than the Pelican 7060 rated at 130 lumens. I haven't measured the Pelican 7060 but I have compared it to other lights at the range, its nice, but too big considering its output and single rechargeable battery.

I would consider the P3D a good EDC light, The Fenix's tend to be a bit slippery. The Inova's with their deeply knurled cases make for a better grip. I slipped some heavy duty black rubber bands on the narrow section of the L2D to give it some grip and it actually worked very well. I would want the longer run time than a 1 cell P2D. The little extra length to me is meaningless if the flashlight is already a certain diameter in my pocket or on in a hip holster. :candle:

I cut the clip of the Fenix T1 and wrapped some rubber around the middle of that one which also give it a very good grip. Both are now easily 3 finger one handers to operate.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I made one little fib. its the Inova T1 with 2 CR 123'c that I have that's rated for 85 lumens and measured 100 lumens. I don't have the T3.

I see Inova is upgraded the output ratings of their T series lights on their website. Looks like more research is in order.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix T1is now my #1 tactical carry light. It measured 230 lumens on a set of Delkin rechargeable 123's into the Integration Sphere of Truth at work on high and 52 lumens on low.

woah, now thats impressive, you have access to an intergrationg Sphere!
this should silence all those people who insist the T1 cant be putting out 200+ lumens cos thats only and emitter...

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where do you live, and when can we all show up at your work to play with your I.S.? :)