Solarforce SF6-R2 - Looks good!

bessiebenny

Enlightened
img1.jpg

This light is currently on sale on Ebay from a reputable seller for a bargain-sounding $34 shipped! (Search for SF6-R2)

Features:

• Utilizes a Cree R2 7090 XR-E LEDwith a life of 50,000 hours
  • Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
  • Uses 2 x CR123A 3.7 Battery (NOT included)
  • 13cm (L) x 3.2cm (D)
  • Made of aircraft grade aluminum
  • 98-gram weight (excluding batteries)
  • Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
  • Press the end switch to on/off the flashlight
  • Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
Looks to be about the size of the Romisen RC-F4 but with slightly bigger head and should be much brighter.
For what it's worth, it looks really good so my friend bought one and hence I should review it soon. =)

They have a Q5 version which is $5 cheaper. I doubt it'll be much dimmer also. Sounds like a bargain to me.
Selfbuilt reviewed the Solarforce T7 and the output and regulation were excellent. So I can't wait to try this one!

Is there anyone who already have this light and would like to comment??

Jay T

Enlightened
Re: New Cree R2 light - Solarforce SF6-R2 - Looks good!

Several people have already commented on the drop-in used in this light. Search "Solarforce"

bessiebenny

Enlightened

Yeah. I found some drop in posts. But didn't see the actual flashlight in whole. =)
BTW, drop-in alone isn't that much cheaper than the actual flashlight with it.

patrickbateman

Newly Enlightened

Wow, sounds and looks great.

Can't wait for a review.:huh:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, the Solarforce L2 is one of my favorite cheap flashlights. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best Surefire 6P clone on the market. I've got a couple and I can say the build quality is surprisingly better than expected when you consider the quality level of most inexpensive China made flashlights. The type II anodization on them very much reminds me of the finish you get with a black Maglite. I've swapped and interchanged parts with my other Surefire flashlights and it all fits perfectly. For those looking to get into the modular fun of the Surefire Classic series on the cheap, the Solarforce L2 is an excellent choice. Recently, people have been jumping on the Cabela's XPG flashlight and knife combo $20 deal too. I've got one of those myself, but I still like the Solarforce L2 better.

As for the pricing on the full R2 flashlight, it is a better deal to get this than just the dropin R2 dropin module. I got one of the dropins for $22 shipped and now the same dealer is selling the full flashlight with R2 module for $30 shipped.

jezzyp

Enlightened

I've got the 5 mode drop in R2 and its good (if rather warm in my G2).
It looks like an easy mod to change the emitter too in 6 months...

Hypnosis4U2NV

Newly Enlightened

This looks like a good light, at least for the ability to drop-in a new LED module in the future and that it comes with an R2 LED..

Let us know your first impressions when you get it!

psyrens

Newly Enlightened

Yup, the Solarforce L2 is one of my favorite cheap flashlights. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best Surefire 6P clone on the market. I've got a couple and I can say the build quality is surprisingly better than expected when you consider the quality level of most inexpensive China made flashlights. The type II anodization on them very much reminds me of the finish you get with a black Maglite. I've swapped and interchanged parts with my other Surefire flashlights and it all fits perfectly. For those looking to get into the modular fun of the Surefire Classic series on the cheap, the Solarforce L2 is an excellent choice. Recently, people have been jumping on the Cabela's XPG flashlight and knife combo $20 deal too. I've got one of those myself, but I still like the Solarforce L2 better.

As for the pricing on the full R2 flashlight, it is a better deal to get this than just the dropin R2 dropin module. I got one of the dropins for $22 shipped and now the same dealer is selling the full flashlight with R2 module for $30 shipped.

Hello, ace0001a,
Where can I find the dealer sells this R2 light at 30$ shipped?
Can you give me (at least hint of) that?
Thanks much!!

2xTap

Newly Enlightened

I just recently ordered one of these myself. Ordered the Desert Tan version of the L2 with the CREE R2 and single mode clicky. Costed me $38.99 shipped. Comes with a set of Panasonic Lithiums and a Sheath. I look forward to trying it out.

There are a ton of these on Ebay!

2xTap

jake25

Enlightened

how come it says, in the OP, that it can tailstand but in the ebay listings i see a SF style clickie on the back?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ebay seller silver931 had a full Cree R2 Solarforce R2 for $30, but it doesn't look like he's selling anything on Ebay right now. I think it may have to do with the Ebay commision price increase. Ebay seller itc_shop is selling it for $34, which is still a good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-295-...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for the post that started this thread where the copied ebay information says that it can tailstand is completely inaccurate. This flashlight does not tailstand and as I've said before that much of the product information you'll see on an ebay description page will have a high chance of error. It's because most of the time, the people who do ebay descriptions have no idea what they're typing and are most likely copying it from a mix mash of resources.

Hypnosis4U2NV

Newly Enlightened

I would love to get this in grey/silver finish..

jezzyp

Enlightened

ooooh
Would you happen to have a link to vendor that sells that?

I looked through the list on "p60 sized led drop-in's" thread.. but didn't see an R2 5-mode.

Got mine from "Scopeandlaser", direct from the website but they list on fleabay as well sometimes.

Doing a run test at the moment and on mid (my g2 is not even warm) I'm at 2.15 hours with Aw 700ma cells - Comparing to my fenix I estimate about 90 lumens. Proper white as well.

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened

ooooh
Would you happen to have a link to vendor that sells that?

I looked through the list on "p60 sized led drop-in's" thread.. but didn't see an R2 5-mode.

Ya I havent been quite sure how to list the Ebay products as the Ebay market place is ever changing and quite large.

As for the Solarforce lights I like the two I own. A tan one with the stainless steel and a black one. My only complaint would be the finish on the black one is a little too smooth and makes it a tad too slippery at times. But thats only a minor gripe. :) I don't have the R2 drop-in (bought mine right before those came out :mecry:) so I cant say anything about it.

Over all the Solarforce bodies get a :thumbsup: from me if your looking for a cheaper 6p clone.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ya I havent been quite sure how to list the Ebay products as the Ebay market place is ever changing and quite large.

Well as a seller, I simply try my best to make sure my listing information is as accurate as possible.

As for the Solarforce lights I like the two I own. A tan one with the stainless steel and a black one. My only complaint would be the finish on the black one is a little too smooth and makes it a tad too slippery at times. But thats only a minor gripe. :) I don't have the R2 drop-in (bought mine right before those came out :mecry:) so I cant say anything about it.

Don't have to tan colored one myself...thought about getting it but never did. I can agree that the glossy black finish can be a bit slippery...but I love the fact that it reminds me of a black Maglite's finish.

Over all the Solarforce bodies get a :thumbsup: from me if your looking for a cheaper 6p clone.

And that's the kicker I think is that the Solarforce is SO cheap considering the fairly good build quality AND its parts compatibility with Surefire Classic format flashlights. The only problem there is that you get in cheap with the base flashlight, but the addon/mod/upgrade parts can get very expensive. I'm really surprised more people don't talk about this flashlight sometimes...but then again, Surefire 6Ps have been around a LONG time as I'm sure any and all clones will also have been around for a fair amount of time.

Hypnosis4U2NV

Newly Enlightened

Comparing to my fenix I estimate about 90 lumens. Proper white as well.

90 Lumens? What happened to the other 200? I know that it probably wont come close to the rated 290 lumens, but I was at least expecting 150 lumens from this light..

:sigh::shrug:

jezzyp

Enlightened

90 Lumens? What happened to the other 200? I know that it probably wont come close to the rated 290 lumens, but I was at least expecting 150 lumens from this light..

:sigh::shrug:
That run test was on medium - It went for 2.5 hours on AW rechargeables. I have a low mid high drop in.

Tonight I will run test on high - or fry it whichever comes first.

On high this drop in out performs the Digilight 9V 160 lumen that was in my G2 so I would guess that it is over 200 lumens out the front.

glenda17

Enlightened

Does this accept a 18650 ?