Problem with Terralux TLE-6EXB

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
Just brought a Terralux TLE-6EXB and put in into a 2 D Cell Maglite. I used the flashlight today for an extended length of time and now I noticed a problem After the light has been on for several minutes, it cycles between full brightness and about 50% brightness. It does this about every 30 seconds. Sometimes instead of going dim, it will just flicker for 5 or 10 seconds and then stabilize. It does this while motionless, sitting on the floor. I changed out the batteries and they are in date, so that is not the problem. I changed the bulb back to the standard Maglite bulb and it doesn't do this. Is this definately a problem with the bulb or could I have another problem? I realize that is an impossible to to answer this question acuratley, so I guess my real question is, is there a history of problems like this with this bulb or other LEDs?

Thanks for any help.

1M1

Newly Enlightened
I have one in a 3D and it does the rapid flicker thing. I thought it was temperture related, but experience indicates that it is not.

It is an inconsistent phenomena, though. Doesn't always do it, but once is annoying enough.

If the reason is known, I'd appreciate knowing, too.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was happening with mine....they sent me a new one...thats made from a totally different LED! Its about 50% as bright as my original flickering one. I'll get some pics up soon. Hopefully someone can help me ID it

chewy78

Enlightened
Thats kinda interesting, the one i got, doesn't do that. I must be lucky so far

I'll let you guys know if that same thing happens to mine also.

tony22r

Newly Enlightened
I just bought two Terralux TLE-1F drop-ins..
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1f.html
..and one of them is bad.

After less than 2 minutes it will flicker and then shut down.
I'll turn it off for a few minutes, it will turn on again but shut down again after 2 minutes. Happens in 3 different flashlights. Probably heat-related or bad solder like in post above. I'm trying to get a replacement from seller right now.

Other drop-in works just fine.

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
Update. I called Terralux and talked to someone named Tony who was very nice and seemed knowledgeable. I explained my problems to him and he felt it was a problem with the flashlight and not the bulb. He talked about several things it might be. He also said that if I couldn't resolve it, he would send me another bulb or I could send the entire flashlight to them and they would troubleshoot it. I tried all of his suggestions and nothing worked and I thought it must be the bulb. Just to make sure, I went to Lowes and bought a new 3 D cell maglite and put the bulb in that. It worked like a champ with nary a flicker! Looks like Tony was right.

I took the tailcap and spring from the new flashlight and put it on the old one and it still had the same problems. The only thing I can think of now is to buy a new switch. Is there anything else it could be? Where is the best/cheapest place to buy a replacement switch?

Thanks.

1M1

Newly Enlightened
Cheapest place may be the "Flashlightking" dot com.

I find the problem being due to the switch strange.

I could see the switch being a resistor to the current, but I'd think it would result in a lower output.

Tell us how that works out.

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
My Terralux cree dropin has worked fine from the get-go, but admittedly I've only run it for five minutes at a time. My light even took a fall from a 4 foot high counter onto a concrete floor, and still worked (although it had to be clicked on twice to turn on and I have a large ding on the body). I guess I may have to take it out for a longer runtime.

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
I received a replacement under warranty, but it has the same problem.

I noticed that it was aggravated by being out in the cold for an extended period of time.