Rain-X on the Lens

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrying the light in my pocket usually results in dust all over the lens by the time I pull it out to use it. Today I cleaned it with a bit of Windex then applied a drop or two of Rain-x to the lens and rubbed it in with my finger, after which I just let it air dry.

And so far it has seemed to help the lens stay more free of dust. The real test will be how it looks after it's been riding around in my pocket throughout a workday. Hopefully with the rain-x on there, any dust that does accumulate can easily be blown off.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I never thought about using rain x on the windows of lights before. I am definetly going to give this one a try because everytime I go out on the quads water bits always accumulate on my L4 which is clipped to the outside of my pocket.

-Evan

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far a little specks of dust on the windows wont do harm. If it was a camera lens, then I would get it cleaned. For lights, you shouldn't worry too much....

Bror Jace

Enlightened
True enough jumpstat, but Rain-X on the lens, at least a glass lens, won't do any harm, either. I believe it is a polymer suspended in an alcohol-based solution.

You could also use a non-abrasive car wax to fill in the microscopic pores in a glass lens ... make it easier to wipe clean.

jufam44

Enlightened
That's a great idea. I'll have to buy some to put on my flashlight's lens. Does this only work on glass, or lexan too?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can tell, the lens on the Minimag is plastic, and there seem to have been no ill effects.

(Um, if the plastic lens happens to cost big $$$$ you might use caution; it's cheap on the Mag)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ARC-P DS is collecting dust in its reflector...it doesnt affect performance much, but its annoying..:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

C4LED

Enlightened
Putting Rain-x on my windshield tends to fog it a bit. This is still worthwhile for the rain-off utility, but you may not want that effect on your light.

Latest posts