Take your failed Inova X1 Gen. 2 and STICK IT! - A quick fix for the Inova X1 Gen. 2

OLD_BJC

Newly Enlightened
GOOD NEWS! Your Inova X1 Gen. 2 is NOT dead!

The failure is a result of the flashlight being dropped on the LED end. This causes the front gold plated contact to be jammed forward by the battery nib and getting stuck in that position.

The quick fix for this is to first remove the battery, then insert a piece of ½" wooden dowel at least 6" inches long in place of the battery. While holding the dowel in place, position the flashlight so that the LED is facing up and the lower end of the dowel is 6" above a tile or concrete floor - not carpet! Now, while holding the flashlight in your fist, SLAM the flashlight and dowel assembly into the floor - REALLY HARD!

The flashlight should now work. :twothumbs

However be aware that the problem will re-occur should it be dropped as described in the beginning of this post.:awman:

Cydonia

Enlightened
This fix does sound plausible.

This could help a lot of people out! I'll certainly remember it!:D
Thanks!

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't think pics is necessary since your not taking the weenie part...
I'm sure the title tells alot already, take something reasonably thick compared to that of an AA cell, ram the sucker up the @#$% of the X1, tailcap removed and...ping it

I did something similar...removing the MagLED from the body of a 3AA...only it was from the front end:rolleyes:

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
GOOD NEWS! Your Inova X1 Gen. 2 is NOT dead!

The failure is a result of the flashlight being dropped on the LED end. This causes the front gold plated contact to be jammed forward by the battery nib and getting stuck in that position.

The quick fix for this is to first remove the battery, then insert a piece of ½" wooden dowel at least 6" inches long in place of the battery. While holding the dowel in place, position the flashlight so that the LED is facing up and the lower end of the dowel is 6" above a tile or concrete floor - not carpet! Now, while holding the flashlight in your fist, SLAM the flashlight and dowel assembly into the floor - REALLY HARD!

The flashlight should now work. :twothumbs

However be aware that the problem will re-occur should it be dropped as described in the beginning of this post.:awman:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THANK YOU !!! :twothumbs

You are correct. !! I just fished my gen 2 X1 out of my dresser drawer. I used a 3/8 rod and firmly rapped it on the window sill, and .... :naughty: WALA IT WORKS. THANKS for the tip. I was waiting for a gen 4 light to come out to send it in for warranty replacement, but I like this version for the longer run time. It is back in my pocket as I type this.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
so would this also work with my minimagLED with its flickering light, sorry for hijacking

Zenster

Enlightened
The Inova was one of the very first LED lights I bought a while back. Such a perrrty color blue beam. :scowl:

But I like the idea. I think I'll put a hard wooden dowen inside mine and slam it on the floor as hard as possible, maybe a few times.
Mine works fine... I just thought doing that sounded like fun. ;)

Delij

Newly Enlightened
I read this and thought "no way...not gonna work for me"

I was wrong! Worked great!

Thanks!!!!!

Peace,
D.

linearintigrator

Newly Enlightened
Just tried this as a last resort, unfortunately, the dowel propelled itself clearly in the tailcap end and exiting out through the head end. Perhapps slightly less force was needed... Still looking for the internals. dave

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woo thread ressurection :party: Was messing around with my X1 today trying to get it to work on a battery that I knew the positive end would work with. Didn't turn on so I tried some aluminum foil in the tailcap, turns out in my case it was a switch issue, guess the switches are prone to damage after dropping too. I can't quite see how, they certainly LOOK like the most damage-immune switch I could think of, but that's just how it is.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
My INOVA X1 UV quit after I dropped it the other day so I dug up this old thread.Instead of using the "stick-it" method I opted for a less abusive solution since I really didn't want to chance permanent damage to the light.Holding the light LED end down I placed a small ball of aluminum foil in the center of the + contact plunger then inserted the battery and replaced the tailcap.Works fine now! You just have to remember the foil is there when you change batteries so you do not lose it though it is really not that big a deal since aluminum foil is very common.I'm sure this is old news in general but I decided to ressurect this thread since there are several generations of X1s and any replacement from INOVA/Nite-Ize will likely be the current version.The UV version I have is no longer available AFAIK

Latest posts