Lux V VS new leds; questions

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the lux V leds comare to new leds,Q5 and P4s, rebels?As far as brightness, drive levels ,effciency? Ive never had a lux V, I ve read they are more flood and were prone to donut hole in beam.But with all the new technology and new reflecters are these usable as mods or a thing of the past?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Luxeon V uses 4 LED dies while the newer ones use one, so the emitting surface is 4x larger and requires a larger reflector to get it to focus as well as a LED with a smaller die surface.

It's about half the efficiency as the current gen LEDs but it has similar output due to it's almost twice as high Vf (So it takes in twice the power for the same amount of light). The drive currents seem to be similar.

Many people still use and like the Luxeon V.

That's what I got from reading around.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mod an existing light with a lux V if I could do it with a Cree, SSC, Rebel, or K2, but one shouldn't discount a light already using a lux V just because it has "old technology". The emitter itself is capable of a beam pattern that I haven't seen matched by the current crop of emitters. It may not be until the SSC P7 hits the streets that we have a true replacement.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In comparing the Lux V in my Surefire L4 recently with some of my latest Cree and SSC's it is amazing to see how much this older Luxeon still cranks out in terms of sheer brightness. Inside a room it is the proverbial 'wall of light' and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Sure they are not as effecient but since I run a 17670 rechargeable in the L4 with backups for it I don't care that much about efficiency. No donut hole on mine unless you are about 2" from the wall. At that point you'll probably be mostly blinded from the light bouncing off the wall anyway :laughing:
As far as using for a mod it really depends on what you want to do - it's a hard LED to beat for a smooth wall of light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new leds are definately better, they are more efficient, brighter and
require half the operating voltage