Which Romisen is brighter?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the Romisen RC-G2 (actually MXDL RC-G2) has acheived fame around here as an outstanding 1xAA cheap light. I bought one myself as a gift and was impressed during "testing" ;) However, Romisen now produces the smaller and brighter RC-H3. The problem: Bessie-Benny rates the RC-G2 @ 1250 lux, and a reveiwer @ DX rates the RC-H3 at 670 lux. Does anybody have both? Which is brighter?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a meter, but have several of both lights. The RC-G2 certainly has better throw with an excellent hot spot. The H3 is a smaller form factor with a less deep and smaller reflector. It's throw is not nearly as good, but it's a great little light for a small pocket etc. I'd say both lights are probably pretty close by overall output, but if it's throw you want, get the G2.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
:(... I was really hoping the guy at DX was wrong.

Do you have other Romisen 1xAA lights? like the RC-A2 and RC-A3? (actually they're SAIK, but that's owned by Romisen)

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Good question.

I bought the RC-G2 and loved the build quality of the light ... beveled glass lens, aluminum reflector that threads into place, etc ... but I found the beam to be a disappointment ... not as bright as P4-based lights and far too narrowly focused.

I have a SAIK RC-A3 light (reportedly also made by Romisen) and it is much better than the RC-A2 ... and I think the emitter is a Cree P4 instead of the A2's P2.

I assumed that the RC-H3 with its higher price would have a P4 Cree in it. Is this the case? I'd like to get a handful ... mostly as gifts.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question.

I bought the RC-G2 and loved the build quality of the light ... beveled glass lens, aluminum reflector that threads into place, etc ... but I found the beam to be a disappointment ... not as bright as P4-based lights and far too narrowly focused.

I have a SAIK RC-A3 light (reportedly also made by Romisen) and it is much better than the RC-A2 ... and I think the emitter is a Cree P4 instead of the A2's P2.

I assumed that the RC-H3 with its higher price would have a P4 Cree in it. Is this the case? I'd like to get a handful ... mostly as gifts.

actually, its only a P3. by better, do you mean brighter overall? does it have comparable throw? also, do the a2 and a3 also have a forward clicky w/ momentary on?

bessiebenny

Enlightened
I'm not sure about the RC-H3, but RC-G2 is a Cree P2.

Don't just look at my throw values as a reference to brightness.
As a comparision, I'll compare to the Ultrafire C3 P4 AA light.

RC-G2 gets 1250 lux @ 1m. But it only got 25 in my light box.
UF C3 gets only 700 lux @ 1m. But much brighter 56 in my light box.

So the overall brightness is quite big. About double.
You can also see my graphs and see that is the case.

His reading of 670 lux @ 1m sounds about right for the RC-H3.
(Give or take 10-20% or so from my readings..)

RC-G2 has a non-standard big turbo head for a AA light.
This allows for a better throw. But less spill brightness.
RC-H3 and all similar shaped lights doesn't throw as well.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about the RC-H3, but RC-G2 is a Cree P2.

Don't just look at my throw values as a reference to brightness.
As a comparision, I'll compare to the Ultrafire C3 P4 AA light.

RC-G2 gets 1250 lux @ 1m. But it only got 25 in my light box.
UF C3 gets only 700 lux @ 1m. But much brighter 56 in my light box.

So the overall brightness is quite big. About double.
You can also see my graphs and see that is the case.

His reading of 670 lux @ 1m sounds about right for the RC-H3.
(Give or take 10-20% or so from my readings..)

RC-G2 has a non-standard big turbo head for a AA light.
This allows for a better throw. But less spill brightness.
RC-H3 and all similar shaped lights doesn't throw as well.

ok, thanks. when i tested a rc-g2, the spill didnt seem overwhelmed by the hotspot, so i think i am ok with a "turbo head" on a 1xAA light. I just don't think tons of really bright spill is that helpful...

do you have an a2 or a3?

btw bessiebenny, awesome roundup thread. :thumbsup: I use light-reviews.com to learn about expensive lights, and your thread to learn about cheap lights :) I think you could improve it by adding more romisen lights though ;)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have 3 SAIK A3, 1 Romisen G2, 1 MTE SSC and several other 1AA lights.

RC-G2 has a nicer tint than most anything I have. But it is disappointing in that it is pretty much all spot and while there is spill it isn't nearly as bright as I would like. The light is built awesome, and has a forward clicky.

MTE SSC needed a fair amount of work to be reliable for me. Contact issues. It has a reverse clicky and decent build quality. It has a smooooth spot moving out to spill in one smooth swish.

The SAIKs have Cree and the best combo of spot spill of the three lights. Also reverse clicky and nice build quality.

I have an RC-H3 inbound and hope it might come this week.

I got a Rexlight 2.0 at a flashaholic get together and it's not quite as bright and somewhat cooler in tint as the best of the three SAIKs. I edc it however as it will dim down to a decent low.

Prior to Rex I kept going back to the SAIKs.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 SAIK A3, 1 Romisen G2, 1 MTE SSC and several other 1AA lights.

RC-G2 has a nicer tint than most anything I have. But it is disappointing in that it is pretty much all spot and while there is spill it isn't nearly as bright as I would like. The light is built awesome, and has a forward clicky.

MTE SSC needed a fair amount of work to be reliable for me. Contact issues. It has a reverse clicky and decent build quality. It has a smooooth spot moving out to spill in one smooth swish.

The SAIKs have Cree and the best combo of spot spill of the three lights. Also reverse clicky and nice build quality.

I have an RC-H3 inbound and hope it might come this week.

I got a Rexlight 2.0 at a flashaholic get together and it's not quite as bright and somewhat cooler in tint as the best of the three SAIKs. I edc it however as it will dim down to a decent low.

Prior to Rex I kept going back to the SAIKs.

do you have a lux meter? I'd love some numbers :naughty:

If not, how bright would you say the A3's hotspot is compared to the RC-G2? overall output?

right now I'm looking for a cheap bright 1xAA light rather than an impeccable EDC. For that I'll get the NDI... when funds allow. So multiple modes isn't a big deal now. Also, I've looked through many cheap flashlight brands, and Romisen seems to be the only one that has good QC and makes lights that fit my needs. So that's why I'm trying to limit this to comparing 3 lights.

thanks for the help :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
No lux meter.

G2 spot stays tight while A3 spot opens up. G2 is by FAR a better throw light.

But if you intend to USE a light like I do... Many times a day to look down into drums or tanks, look at motor or pump info in a pressure washer etc.

You will value a SAIK A3 more.

And maybe by midweek I can tell you where H3 fits into the mix.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
No lux meter.

G2 spot stays tight while A3 spot opens up. G2 is by FAR a better throw light.

But if you intend to USE a light like I do... Many times a day to look down into drums or tanks, look at motor or pump info in a pressure washer etc.

You will value a SAIK A3 more.

And maybe by midweek I can tell you where H3 fits into the mix.

OK, thanks. Guess I'll wait for you to get the H3 :)

But for build quality, would you say the A3 is as good as the G2?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't think there could be any doubt that the Romisen is the better looking better built light. It has good knurling on the head and tail cap etc.

But there isn't anything terribly wrong with the SAIK. And I both like the SAIK beam and size better for edc. SAIK knurling isn't the same and isn't nearly as grippy. In fact my SAIK, REX and MTE SSC light all have shrink wrap around the middle for grip.

I'm anxious to try the H3 and wish it would get here!

bessiebenny

Enlightened
FYI - SAIK and Romisen are all from the same factory.
They are both a brandname of the parent company MXDL.
So they are actually all from the same company. =)

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI - SAIK and Romisen are all from the same factory.
They are both a brandname of the parent company MXDL.
So they are actually all from the same company. =)

I went through a bit a few months ago and figured that out. But strangely lights branded Romisen still seem to have the best build quality :)

Bror Jace

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeSchmoe, I am going to place another order with DX in a few days time. When you get your H3, post here. I'm interested to see how it stacks up against the A3 ... a light I really like.

The only downside of the A3 is weight ... seems heavier than my other 1xAA lights. Not s serious issue ... just something I notice.

When I give a light to women to keep in their purse, weight is definitely a factor.