WE Fox / Sniper (prev. Dereelight Cl1H) vs Fenix T1

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to decide between the CL1H v3 3SD Q5 and the T1. I most need lux #s for the CL1H's throw and spill, to compare with the #s at light-reviews.com (his pill was faulty). If somebody has both and a lux meter, I would greatly appreciate #s for the T1 too.

I understand that the T1 will have much wider spill. Is this noticeable in real-world use? (is the Deree's narrow spill inconvenient?)

Last, I would greatly appreciate input from anybody who has both lights. which is easier to hold? gets used more? better switch? any input is helpful.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dereelight Cl1H vs Fenix T1

There really isn't much difference in the spill between the T1 and the CL1H, but the T1 has a slightly wider beam. They are almost identical in output and beam profile with textured reflectors. The CL1H will have more throw with a smooth reflector, but the T1 maybe silmilar if you get a T1 with a smooth reflector, but I haven't tested a T1 with a smooth reflector.

Fenix T1 w/ texture reflector at 1 meter: 6,350 lux
Dereelight CL1H R2 DI w/ textured reflector at 1 meter: 6,400 lux
Dereelight CL1H Q5 WF 3SD w/ smooth reflector at 1 meter: 9,300 lux

Last edited:

Fird

Enlightened

I only find the dereelight OP spill inconvenient at close range, it really is too small. Of course, a different style of light (non-thrower) would be better for close range work. I suspect the T1 is similar, but I don't own one.

Fird

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the help :)

There really isn't much difference in the spill between the T1 and the CL1H, but the T1 has a slightly wider beam. They are almost identical in output and beam profile with textured reflectors. The CL1H will have more throw with a smooth reflector, but the T1 maybe silmilar if you get a T1 with a smooth reflector, but I haven't tested a T1 with a smooth reflector.

Fenix T1 w/ texture reflector at 1 meter: 6,350 lux
Dereelight CL1H R2 DI w/ textured reflector at 1 meter: 6,400 lux
Dereelight CL1H Q5 WF 3SD w/ smooth reflector at 1 meter: 9,300 lux

w/ an OP reflector, which flashlight is ringier? Also, I had thought the T1 had a much wider spill beam, and brighter. So they're really about the same?

off-topic: just wondering if you have a novatac 120P, or if the P2D Q5 has arrived yet. I'd like to know the lux #s compared to the SF E1B... (looking @ old thread) thanks :)

Last edited:

CandleFranky

Enlightened

Perhaps the P3D Q5 is your light, if you want spill. Or the Olight T20 Q5, because it has a special combination of spill and spot. :confused:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps the P3D Q5 is your light, if you want spill. Or the Olight T20 Q5, because it has a special combination of spill and spot. :confused:

Sorry, I guess I'm being misleading. It's not spill so much I want, but a good overall flashlight - medium size, tough, good throw, good spill. I know that the CL1H throws better w/ smooth, and they are about the same w/ OP. But I want to know which I would like better - which has a more useable beam, is tougher, and more ergonomic. I already know of and like the P3D Q5 and T20T for the reasons you said, but now I'm looking for something tougher and throwier. Thanks for trying to help anyway :)

TOTC

Newly Enlightened

I have both the CL1H and the T1. If I could only keep one the choice would be easy: I'd pick the CL1H any day of the week. It carries better, feels better in the hand (if you pick the T1 with the clip), and can run off of 18650's (depending on the pill). The differences in their beams are minor enough that they don't really matter to me.

My CL1H is in my jeans pocket every time I walk out of the house. My T1 is pretty much relegated to coat pocket carry when it's not sitting by the front door.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, I guess I'm being misleading. It's not spill so much I want, but a good overall flashlight - medium size, tough, good throw, good spill. I know that the CL1H throws better w/ smooth, and they are about the same w/ OP. But I want to know which I would like better - which has a more useable beam, is tougher, and more ergonomic. I already know of and like the P3D Q5 and T20T for the reasons you said, but now I'm looking for something tougher and throwier. Thanks for trying to help anyway :)
This are strictly personal determinations. You've elicited some good recommendations already. The next step is up to you. Buy or borrow the candidates and try them out.

Wilkey

ThatGuyBri

Newly Enlightened

My unenlightened $.02:
T1's advantages:
T1's low setting is not PMW. I've seen some complaints about CL1H's PMW on low and mid settings.

CL1H's advantages:
Uses 18650s. T1's run time on high on rechargeables is 30-40 minutes whereas the CL1H can run for 1 hour 40 minutes.

If you plan to use rechargeables and the high setting, CL1H is better.
If you plan to use primaries and the low setting, the T1 might be better.

CandleFranky

Enlightened

CL1H's advantages: Uses 18650s. T1's run time on high on rechargeables is 30-40 minutes whereas the CL1H can run for 1 hour 40 minutes.
This thread is very interesting for me, because I like Fenix, but vote against the T1. Only 30-40 minutes on rechargeables makes no sense. And CR123As are to expensive for everyday use. The T1 (or the T2) should support 18650s too. :thumbsdow

I have no problems with the Dereelight PWM, I can see no flicker in normal use. It is nice to have a 5% (a real low) and a 50% mode. Very useful on the CL1H 3SD. :thumbsup:

Fird

Enlightened

I have no problems with the Dereelight PWM, I can see no flicker in normal use. It is nice to have a 5% (a real low) and a 50% mode. Very useful on the CL1H 3SD. :thumbsup:

Flicker is EXTREMELY objectionable to me so just to be safe, I bought my CL1H V3.0 used from another CPFer with a Q4 3SD pill in it. Some of the newer 3SD Q5 pills have a switching frequency around 110-120hz depending on who you talk to, which is WAY WAY too low. Dereelight did this to get rid of the 'whining' noise produced by their older pills, which switched at 3khz or so. My 3SD Q4 has a highly noticable whine at ~3khz on medium and low, it's silent on high. I'd much rather have that than a flickering light!!

CandleFranky

Enlightened

My 3SD Q4 has a highly noticable whine at ~3khz on medium and low, it's silent on high. I'd much rather have that than a flickering light!!
As I have said, with my CL1H 3SD Q5 there is no -in use- flicker detectable for me and my wife. It is possible that some folks CAN see a flicker, but I would bet --> most people can not. :devil:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't beleive this. Out of all the companies I haven't bought from but am planning to, Dereelight was my favorite. And only now do I find out that their lights come with noticeable PWM. How could I miss this?!?

Well, that's that for this comparison. I can't stand PWM at that low frequency. But I am trying to find out how to fix it in the DBS v2, because there is no replacement for that amazing light!

So now I shift this comparison to another light. Same questions, but what about for comparing a T1 and WE Fox or Sniper Q5?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

The low frequency PWM is a recent issue, and Dereelight is already taking steps to fix it.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I have said, with my CL1H 3SD Q5 there is no -in use- flicker detectable for me and my wife. It is possible that some folks CAN see a flicker, but I would bet --> most people can not. :devil:

you have a recent 1.2A Q5? Seems like the flicker is too quick to notice on older modules and some other brands, but on the latest lights it is noticeable.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

The low frequency PWM is a recent issue, and Dereelight is already taking steps to fix it.

I am going to laugh if the wining reappears :)

I'll be sure to look into it then. BTW, is the wining or flickering present on the DI module?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be nice to get rid of the PWM all together and use whateve Fenix and others use that doesn't make noise.

I think Alan was going to try and raise the frequency, but not to the point it whines. The original pills' whine never bothered me to begin with.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be nice to get rid of the PWM all together and use whateve Fenix and others use that doesn't make noise.

Definitely! Thats the one thing nobody can argue with about Fenix - their amazingly efficient current regulation.

So do you know if the problems are present in the DI pill on the lowest level?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

My DI has the slower PWM frequency (on the lower intensity levels, like low), and has a slight buzzzing/humming sound(lower levels), but I have to hold it against my ear to hear it. I think my Fenix LOD has the same type of noise if I hold it to my ear. The DI pill is fine when at max brightness.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

My DI has the slower PWM frequency (on the lower intensity levels, like low), and has a slight buzzzing/humming sound(lower levels), but I have to hold it against my ear to hear it. I think my Fenix LOD has the same type of noise if I hold it to my ear. The DI pill is fine when at max brightness.

thanks. I was only aware of the flickering on the L0D, not the buzzing. But that's really not a problem - I don't really mind my MA6's noise.

So the PWM is noticeable?