Sam's Club Cyclops question

Hobbit712

Newly Enlightened
I bought a number of these a few years ago and still have 2 brand new in the blister pack. Great deal at the time. Well....I have been trrying to learn and become as little more knowledgeable about flashlights. All of the abbreviation's are a bit overwhelming though. :thinking:

I did a search in the hopes of learning how to convert these to LED's. There is not much information and most of the threads are 2 years old. I did recently see a thread topped about a battery exploding in one of these but nothing more recent.

2 more years of technology and LED dropins fairly common now. Is there something out there that will work as a drop in? I did find this message and picture in the archives from Nikon about the size at the time.

What does fit absolutely perfectly, however, is the lamp assembly from a UK 4AA, both the eLED and the incan type. With the incan you can use either the 2w. or 4w. version.

uksub.jpg

I looked around for a drop in that might fit the size. There are a few over a DX and Kai. The diameter is not so much an issue as the length. If I was to find one that fit or even mod the springs a bit, will it work? Or do I have to concern myself with the electrical aspects? I see a lot of talk about voltages, amps etc. I know next to nothing about these. I assume (bad I know :naughty:) that if I can make it fit it will likely work. The light uses CR123's now and the voltages should work if I understand the little I have read here.

If this is the wrong forum to ask, Mods please move to the appropriate one.

Thanks in advance.

mhubble

Enlightened
I recently got a couple of these off ebay. I was thinking about modding them but after researching it it just wasnt worth it. A drop in will work but you would have to turn down the outside diameter and shorten the length. Alot of work. But the biggest problem I saw was the palstic lens. It looked and felt like cheap plastic and Im not sure it would hold up to the heat of todays LED'S.

jufam44

Enlightened
I think that the Plastic lens would hold up just fine to LED's. If it can survive the heat from an Incan bulb, LED Out-the-front heat would be no problem. If you can get a drop in that fits, I'd say go for it. You'll probably get a lot better run time, at a reasonable brightness level.