Tried a 6P LED... just don't know!

Stainz

Enlightened
Well, my new Task Force 150 Lumen 2C 3W went back within 24hr - sorry mechanical construction was the main reason. I went by today, since hearing about their lock bos stowage of the Surefires. Yep - there they were - 6P LEDs at $84.97 - make that $93.47 with our now 10% s/t. On the old Lowes card, it's only other use in the last eighteen months being the T F light. Still, that's nearly a C-note - and I didn't know if it came with a set of CR123s. They had the $10 Duracell 2-pack, that was it. Aggravated, I left. 'Academy Sports' had Streamlight 'Made in USA' cells - 2/$4.47... hmmm, I have a spare set of Surefires for my X5, so I am set.

Of course, it came with a set, so I found after the usual pain trying to slice the clamshell pack... which magically parted at a weld. Wow - what build quality. Bright, but not as bright as the T-F, although perfectly round center spot. Quality... and no DNA sample left on the knorling. Still, a C-note... and not very nice folks at Lowes, either. It's back in the pack... but for a different reason. My 3xAA LED 3W MagLite had dead batteries - fresh ones got it all too close... and for a fraction of the price, if I had to buy it. Very happy with the USA quality there, too.

Is there a G2L or 6P LED in my near future? You bet - but from a MO place that will ship some spares batteries with it for less than what it cost me here with s/t... if the phone folks are 'nice'. I am tired of dealing with inconsiderate folks - and getting poor products, too. The Surefire seems top drawer - too bad about the store's folks!

Stainz

generic808

Enlightened
Why not just get a regular 6P and get a $10 DX drop-in? You'll get much more light and it'll cost you less than $60. And should anything go wrong, just drop your old incan back in and you're covered by the sure-fire Surefire warranty.

bspofford

Enlightened
Get a new Surefire 6P on Ebay for $41, put a $10 MTE Q5 P60 module in it, and run it on Ultrafire/Trustfire 16340 cells. Total investment is about $55.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Lowes is over-priced at nearly ~$100.

$42 shipped here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250219403483

Add whatever drop-in module you like. You'll come out ahead of the Lowes 6PL... and might even save some $$$.

I have this one coming...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090

I am keeping an eye out for the 3-15V input version of this one. However if there are reports of failure on the 3.7V I think I'll pass. I'd rather pass a kidney stone than have to go through DX customer service.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11074

Piece of cake to swap emitters too, when new bins come out, or just replace the whole assembly, when they release new bin emitters built into the P60 module.

I have to admit... I am enjoying the Xenon incandescent module that came with the light. Its not quite as yellow as I was lead to believe, its like afternoon sunlight as opposed to setting sun. The color is very easy on the eyes, and does a great job rendering textures, shadows and depth of close proximity objects. All are areas the Lowes TF struggles with... IMHO.

But thats what makes the P60 so great... as a Noob torch. For those of us who have no idea, no preferences and minimal understanding of how to mod, theres a lot of flexibility.

I agree with you to a certain extent on the TF. I also find it crude and very unrefined "feeling". But for $30 its tolerable (IMHO). Night and day difference from the 6P and 6PL.

Last edited:

Stainz

Enlightened
Well, I am still considering the $42 6P and a few 6090s (3 for $26.87 shipped... spares?). I guess that combo will outdo the 6P LED, Lumen-wise, as times of ~ 1hr on two CR123s are mentioned, while Surefire states their 6P LED will run 12 hr. Does anyone have a measured ouput from the 6P with the 6090 drop-in? What is the actual Li battery lifespan in the 6090? Thanks!

I guess I am still considering ordering the 6P LED from LA Police - $85 (regular price) inc 8 extra batteries. Also, they have the Gerber LMF II for $60, something I 'wanted' anyway, although I know not why! Looks like $7-$8 s/h. I should forget the knife - and just keep the Lowes 6P LED... it really is quite nicely assembled - and of apparently well-made parts. But - that's my afternoon 'chore'!

Stainz

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd also suggest the Dereelight CL1H. Similar to the 6PL except with different choices for modules and can use a 18650 battery. Shipping should take about a week.

I'd also suggest buying rechargeable batteries. If you are buying the Dereelight, I'd suggest buying AW's 18650 batteries and a charger. The batteries will give you more runtime then two CR123 batteries and allow you to buy the brighter digital modules(the digital modules won't work with an input above 4.2v).

The 6PL and G2L are good lights, but they are more runtime then output.

The 6090 drop-in should run over 2 hours with CR123 primaries.

Last edited:

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
Search the forum and I suspect that you will find some references to Surefire dealers which offer very good customer service - perhaps even better than throwing in a few spare batteries.

Stainz

Enlightened
Well, I got stuck at Lowe's for a while as they waited for an 'area' manager for the returned special order for an employee who was ahead of me. It just took more time - I was happy to finally leave, although I had to walk by their flashlight display to get to the exit. They had a large stash of new T F 2xC 3W of the latest style/LED, that was it.

I elected to stop by a local Ma-Pa gunstore on the way home - not for firearms or ammo - I can't afford more bang bangs... and I make my own ammo... they did carry some flashlights and knives, however! Hmmm, SF lights... SF 6P for $55.95 & 6P LEDs for $66.95! They had 60L heads for $32 - pretty good prices. I got a spare pair of S-F 123s and the 6P LED OTD for $75 - great deal, I suppose... and, it was cash/check - so we eat Ramen noodles until my retirement check arrives Friday... then I'll go back for a Fenix (The demo's were effective...).

Stainz