Streamlight TL-2 2nd Gen

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I have a chance to pick up 3 of these from a friend (unopened NIB) for $75 total. I was thinking about using them as glovebox lights. I have yet to own a Streamlight (all of my tactical type lights are Surefires, as my sig line shows). I was just wondering about the beam quality of these 2nd gen Streamlights (Im pretty sure they're Lux I's). Im so used to Surefire's generally perfect beam that anything else will prolly come as a slight disappointment. So how are they? Tint (really dont want excessive blue), Artifacts (any?) and throwing ability. If you'd like to compare them to the Surefire p60 or P60L, be my guest, as I own both. Im sure they'll be much less powerful than either SF LA.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The SL TL-2 LED 2nd Gen. was one of my very first tactical lights. I still sometimes EDC it for old times sake.

I can only comment on the one TL-2 model that I own. But beam quality is actually very good on mine. Obviously, it doesn't give off a wall of light light my SF L4. But it does out throw my L4. By quite a bit. (Still, the TL-2 can't compete with the dedicated LED Throwers on the market, obviously).

The tint on mine is white. No hint of blue. Perhaps I got lucky in the lottery, but I doubt it.

No artifacts present on mine. There's a hot spot in the center, with good sidespill that is alittle dim.

As mentioned above, it'll out throw an L4. But that might not be saying much. It has a good combination of flood and throw. Just don't expect it to compete with a DBS or even the 2C Lowes Task Force Cree model.

I don't like comparing apples to oranges, and I don't own a P60L. (I'm holding out for the P61L). But a P60 equipped inca will likely out throw it.

Overall: It's a very good light. You can tighten the momentary / twist for constant-on tailcap so that the light comes on with a tiny bit of pressure on the switch, or lossen it just a bit so a long, hard press of the switch is needed to turn the light on. I wish the switch protruded further from the tailcap itself. But that's a minor point. If we're talking $75 for three of them, NIB; that's a sweet deal right there!