Questions on buying an E2e and the modding

Charon

Newly Enlightened
I have been lurking here for some time and its time for me to get into things, mostly because I'm more confused now. So much information just need some clarification on a few things.

I was looking for a really good light that fits in my pocket/glove box nicely. And with all the threads on the E2e anodized seems like a good fit. But I have questions.

I'm sure I will have more, but the sheer number of threads on it makes it hard for me to figure some of this out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That conversion should just drop-in. It might be too bright to use in the dark in close range(also the shorter runtime compared to similar output current gen LEDs). This might not apply for working on a car.

I'm not sure about the difference because I'm more of a LED guy.

There might also be other lights that will fit better for your task.

Price?
Output?
Throw?
Batteries?
LED or Incan?
Multimode?

:welcome:

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Starting off - I'll address the first question: working on cars using an E2.

I wouldn't recommend it. I keep a 12v shop lamp in both my truck and my wife's truck. Both are better suited for use with working on a vehicle than an E2.

Don't get me wrong - the E2 will work if you've got a hat or something to clip it on to. However, 99% of the time (the 1% is when I'm working on a tire), the hat gets knocked off.

Secondly - battery life is not as good with the E2 versus a 12v driven shop lamp that hooks to your cigarette lighter.

Third - you need flood and lots of it. The E2 will give you some flood, but the 12v shop lamp will beat out an E2.

This is from personal experience having two friends use SF 6P's and Mags to work on a truck, then I bring out the 12V shop lamp and it puts the 6P and Mags to shame.

-Steve

Charon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I am looking at doing more then just working on a car with it. I actually have a trouble light 60W household lamp with an inverter in the car it does beat anything. Was wondering how it would be regardless.

The small light with high output for searching around at night hooking something quick up. And could be tossed into my Search and Rescue pack. Be nice to be able to regulate light output. Price up to $200. Throw to about 40+ feet. And have a nice light output without all the lines and dark spots I get from my Mag. You guys are begining to make me think I will need way too many lights....:duh2:

Regulated light output so I can use it close up for man tracking at night (Search and Rescue) where I need a light that works from about 6 inches or less held horizontally with the ground to produce shadow on a track. To throwing ahead so I can see.

Who would have thought lights could be so complicated

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Thanks, I am looking at doing more then just working on a car with it. I actually have a trouble light 60W household lamp with an inverter in the car it does beat anything. Was wondering how it would be regardless.

The small light with high output for searching around at night hooking something quick up. And could be tossed into my Search and Rescue pack. Be nice to be able to regulate light output. Price up to $200. Throw to about 40+ feet. And have a nice light output without all the lines and dark spots I get from my Mag. You guys are begining to make me think I will need way too many lights....:duh2:

Regulated light output so I can use it close up for man tracking at night (Search and Rescue) where I need a light that works from about 6 inches or less held horizontally with the ground to produce shadow on a track. To throwing ahead so I can see.

Who would have thought lights could be so complicated

Ahh....so if it's for that, I'd recommend:

Novatac 120P - variable light strength and lightweight. Can use rechargeables and primary 123A batteries. Get one for under $150.

Surefire G2 with Malkoff M60/BugOutGear Premium Drop In/OpticsHQ drop in and an OpticsHQ multi mode tail cap. The SF G2 is about 35 bucks. Add the OpticsHQ drop in and tail cap for another 80. You can get at least 5 levels plus strobe and about 180 lumens out of it.

Fenix T1 - multiple modes and durability to match. Great pricing too. Fenix-store.com caters to CPF members.

All three lights can take abuse out the wazoo and still work.

-Steve

Per Arne

Enlightened
I think the E2E is a great light;
- MN02 lamp 25 lumen ~ 2.5 hours
- MN03 lamp 60 lumen ~ 75 minutes
- KL4 LED 100 lumen ~ 60 minutes on high and 2 hours on low...
- KX2 LED 60/3 lumen...
- choose a lamp from Lumens Factory...
- get the F04 diffuserlens and you have a great flood light...

Get the E to C adapter and Z44-HA bezel;
- P60L 80 Lumen ~ up to 12 hours...
- P60 lamp 65 lumen ~ 60 minutes
- P61 lamp 120 lumen ~ 20 minutes
- P90 lamp 105 lumen with AW's protected rechargeable batteries
- choose a lamp from Lumens Factory...
- get the FM34 diffuserlens, and again you have a great flood light...

Get the McTC tailcap switch and you have a tailstanding light...

Go for it! :twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For something more everyday use(and lower then $100), I'd suggest the Olight T15 Q5 or the Fenix L1D-CE Q5. 1 AA, decent output and multimode. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8". The Novatac 120P is regarded by many as the best EDC light. Programmable modes and tough.

40 ft is not problem for the current gen LEDs(with a reflector.optic, the best throwing one is the Dereelight DBS and it can it is easily useable at 100+ meters).

I think all of your criterias can be met with a multimode current gen LED flashlight with a diffuser(I'm thinking of the Dereelight CL1H, 100 meters might be at the edge of this light's throw).

Multimode for times when you don't need so much light/need more runtime.
Diffuser for flood(remove for throw).
LED so you don't have to worry about replacement lamps(until you feel like getting a brighter LED one when the more efficient LEDs come).

sawlight

Enlightened
I love the E2E!!!! I think with the MN02 lamp it would be very nice for what you want!!
I would not recommend the mods, that will be a bit too much light for up close, and run time would be lacking, so it might not work or last long enough for that time of need!!!!
The new generation of LED's is ASTOUNDING!!! I can personally attest to the durability of the Novatac line of lights!!! As well as the usefulness of them!!!
Perhaps a G2L might be more along you're price? Around $90, goo beam and nice run time?

I am by no means trying to talk you out of the E2E, I just don't think the modded version will make you that happy. The E2E, to me at least, is just about perfect the way it is!!

Charon

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have now managed to buy drop in upgrades for my mag lights. A Fenix Digital L1D Black Premium Q5 for my keychain and am looking at either the
Novatec 120P or the Dereelight CL1H for the original reason. I really like the upgradeability of the Dereelight.
But could not figure out where to buy a diffuser for either of those lights ?

P.S Thanks for the help guys

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam on the Novatac is very nice. I suggest you wait to order a diffuser until you have seen the beam in person. Chances are you won't need one.