New joiner questions.

mark33

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I have a couple of questions which somebody may be able to help me out with.

I have read a few comments on here about how good the Inova X1 is. As I don't want to damage my Gladious at work I brought an X1. The first one, new generation 2W, had to go back to the shop because it would not go into constantly on mode instead it kept flashing which is fairly irritating. Replacement arrived and for the first 10 minutes or so all was fine with a good constant on beam. After this initial 10 minutes the torch now flickers/strobes with differing speeds and rarely goes into constant on. I put a new battery, standard duracell AA, and it goes well for 10 mins then starts flashing again.

Am I doing something wrong, should I be using high capacity rechargables (>2700m ah) or are these X1s just rubbish?

I am thinking of replacing it already for a Fenix and like the single CR123 P2D-Q5. Will this torch allow me to use rechargable 3v CR123? If not are there any decent lights that will allow me to use such rechargables as in the UK these batteries are quite expensive?

Thanks in advance

Mark.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own or know much about inova, so can't comment there, except that the P2D will be far brighter. The P2D can use a RCR123A, but it will lost all modes but high (they will become as bright as high and shorter running). The Novatac 120P can use RCRs effectively, although it is not as bright as the P2D. See light-reviews.com for info.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
The Olight T10 (1x CR123) and T15 (1xAA) are also available in both Q5 and less expensive non-Q5 versions. They have the same form factor as Fenix but have a different beam and different user interface and if I remember correctly work well on regular rechargeables.
There are reviews and comparisons here on CPF. Welcome to the party and sorry to hear of your Gen3 X1 problems.

mark33

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for advice guys. Learnt a lesson about buying cheap lights there then. No more Inovas for me. Got to admit they don't feel as well made as my Night Ops light but then the X1 is about the same price as the 2 CR123s in it!

Thanks.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight T10 (1x CR123) and T15 (1xAA) are also available in both Q5 and less expensive non-Q5 versions. They have the same form factor as Fenix but have a different beam and different user interface and if I remember correctly work well on regular rechargeables.
There are reviews and comparisons here on CPF. Welcome to the party and sorry to hear of your Gen3 X1 problems.

Olight has the same problem as Fenix - they lose all modes, except for in their 2xCR123 light. I'm not sure if the 2008 editions fixed that problem - the only new Olights out so far already worked with rechargeables.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Actually, there are some pretty good cheap lights, you just have to know where to search (and for most of them, you would also need the patience to wait up to a month and a half for the light, most arrive in 2 weeks). Many of them can be found at Dealextreme in the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section. Look for lights getting good reviews.

The P2D should not loose modes if you use 3v rechargeables but it would loose modes if you use 3.6 or 3.7v rechargeables. The P3D would work with the batteries without problem. Also look at the L2D-CE Q5/L2D-Rebel 100, AA battery powered. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"(I'd suggest the Q5 r Rebel 100 versions, those are the brightest ones out right now).

There were 2 versions of the V3 X1s, one flickered and one didn't.

Also look at the Olights, Dereelights and many other companies.

:welcome:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I was referring to regular 3volt RCR123 or 1.2v AA NiMH rechargeables, not 3.7v Lithium Ion rechargeables. The Olights don't lose their modes when running on regular rechargeables.

mark33

Newly Enlightened
Actually, there are some pretty good cheap lights, you just have to know where to search (and for most of them, you would also need the patience to wait up to a month and a half for the light, most arrive in 2 weeks). Many of them can be found at Dealextreme in the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section. Look for lights getting good reviews.

The P2D should not loose modes if you use 3v rechargeables but it would loose modes if you use 3.6 or 3.7v rechargeables. The P3D would work with the batteries without problem. Also look at the L2D-CE Q5/L2D-Rebel 100, AA battery powered. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"(I'd suggest the Q5 r Rebel 100 versions, those are the brightest ones out right now).

There were 2 versions of the V3 X1s, one flickered and one didn't.

Also look at the Olights, Dereelights and many other companies.

:welcome:

Any ideas as to why one version would flicker and one not? Would this have been intended and do they physically look different?

I have the 3v rcr CR123 so if that's the case re non flickering of the P2D then I will order one now. Is this flickering problem common with LED lights?

Thanks very much.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think there is a outward physical difference. They probably improved the circuit.

It would depend on the light, some flicker when the battery is low to tell you to change batteries. Others just shut off when the battery is low enough, others dim to a lower level to provide emergency light.