Need help with Malkoff M60 indentification

slag

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Malkoff M60 (high output model) that I was told is the Q5 version. However, it only has "M60" engraved on it. I just saw a picture of a M60 Q5 on BST, and it also had "Q5" engraved on it. It's my understanding that the brass housing/sink was only implemented with the Q4's and Q5's so I believe it's one of those two versions.

However, is there really anyway to tell if it's a Q4 or Q5? Has anyone received a Q5 that didn't have "Q5" engraved?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

jbviau

Enlightened
My Q4 (brass) did indeed have "Q4" engraved on it, and my Q2 (aluminum?) was marked "Q2". Haven't had a Q5 in my hands.

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
If you bought it from Gene and you ordered a Q5 then that's what you got. Mine just says M60. If you bought it used only Gene could probably tell you without taking it apart.

slag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I purchased the drop-in off the BST. I'm less worried now, as it's apparent that the engraving is not a universal marking of identification. In other words, even if absent, it could still be a Q5, and that's what I'll take it as. I purchased it advertised as such, and was told it was from the most recent batch (prior to the most most recent). So a Q5 it is, at least until I hear something that contradicts that.

Thanks again for the prompt replies!!

Gene43

Enlightened
Because of the volume I'm starting to put out, I recently started just engraving "M60" on them. Except for a few earlier ones, all of the brass heatsinked models are Q5's. The ones that aren't Q5's are marked as "M60 Q4". Your "M60" is a Q5.

Thanks, Gene