Fenix L1D Premium Q5 problem

knutestoner

Newly Enlightened
I know I'm a "newbe" but please bear with me. I recieved this torch from the www.Fenix-store.com last Friday. Sometimes the switch does not activate the light in turbo or standard mode. For example, in turbo mode sometimes I'll have to press it up to 3 times for the light to turn on and then when it could either be the strobe or the correct 120 lumens. Then sometimes the light will flicker and be slightly dim in turbo mode. Once activated in standard mode it does seem to go the 3 power levels properly with a slight touch of the switch. I called the store today from work and was told I couldn't use rechargeables in this flashlight as that would void the warranty.:confused: I told him I was using Powerex 2700maH Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries. I came home and went to their website to check out the L1D Pemium Q5 specifications and it states that Ni-mh batteries are fine for this light. Maybe he misunderstood me or am I missing something? I'll be calling him back tomorrow. Anyone else have problems with this light? Thank you in advance.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
He may have thought you were using 14500 batteries in the light. This is a 3.7 volt battery that is used in some lights that are made for an AA. When you call back be sure to state you are using regular Nimh batteries. I would place a fresh alkaline battery in and see if the switch works in all modes. If not the Fenix is store is usually good about customer service.

Bill

Marduke

Flashaholic
Did you clean all the contacts with an alcohol swab? That's generally the first thing you need to do with any new flashlight. Also, your results will be best on NiMH cells.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
The other thing you can check is to make sure the threads are clean. I believe that this light uses the threads between the body and the head to conduct, so any non-conductive material on the threads could interfere with the connection. You didn't by any chance lube the threads with vaseline or anything, did you?

Just a thought.

I run my L1D on NiMH cells all the time, and never have a problem. I doubt that is the cause of your problem.

optodoofus

Masque

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the cleaning idea. The threads that connect the head to the body should be bright, shiny aluminum. Sometimes they're... not so clean from the factory. I had an L1D CE that was exhibiting these exact symptoms. I handed it to 4Sevens who said, "Oh. Yeah. Sounds like dirty contacts." 30 seconds and a few drops of DeOxit later, it worked better than it had new out of the package.

Short version: Clean that sucker. :)

knutestoner

Newly Enlightened
Fixed!! Thanks everyone!! I'm amazed at this flashlight...especially the power. I bought it primarily for IDPA (combat pistol competition) and we have practice this Thursday night. Most of the other guys are using Surefires. We'll see how it compares. I don't know very much about flashlights but I can see how this could become a hobbie real quick. Thanks again. You guys made my day.

harddrive

Enlightened
Fixed!! Thanks everyone!! I'm amazed at this flashlight...especially the power. I bought it primarily for IDPA (combat pistol competition) and we have practice this Thursday night. Most of the other guys are using Surefires. We'll see how it compares. I don't know very much about flashlights but I can see how this could become a hobbie real quick. Thanks again. You guys made my day.

How did you fix it? Was it just dirty contacts?

knutestoner

Newly Enlightened
I cleaned the threads and the contacts. I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and a q-tip and the threads with a cotton cloth. Now I have to figure what lube to use. Seems to be lots of threads on that subject.:eek:

harddrive

Enlightened
Good to hear that fixed it. Seems the Fenix lights are more sensitive than others to problem with dirty contacts.