My Cat Made Me Do It

Empath

Flashaholic
I don't know. It's just a feeling that my cat would like me to post this.

From a news story I saw today, researchers have found a healthy benefit to having a cat.

From the article in MedHeadlines:

researchers found that over a 20-year period, participants who had never owned a cat were 40 percent more likely to die from heart attack, and 30 percent more likely to die from any kind of cardiovascular disease.

Meow! Eh.... I meant - Interesting!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think the cardiovascular benefits can be extended beyond the feline family. I've read several stories that suggest that owning a pet (even a fish) can have calming effetcs and can lower blood pressure. :thumbsup:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 4 Cats, and I have to admit they can help relieve stress. Sometimes the females get on my nerve while the males are good companions. Sounds familiar to my married life.

worldedit

Enlightened
Maybe the pet is doing nothing, but people who are patient enough to have them are less likely to get a heart attack.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Yeah, it might have to do with the personality of those who can think of getting a cat. I would then run a very high risk of getting a heart attack! :D

Lets say im not a cat person... :whistle:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though generally restful, sometimes, in the middle of the night, they are responsible for some extra adrenalin...

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/06/funny-pictures-is-practicin-for-you/

funny-pictures-alarm-cat-clock-practice-bed-jump.jpg

note to mods: hotlinking those pictures allowed as long as link included!

meuge

Enlightened
I don't know. It's just a feeling that my cat would like me to post this.

From a news story I saw today, researchers have found a healthy benefit to having a cat.

From the article in MedHeadlines:

Meow! Eh.... I meant - Interesting!
See, these kinds of data mining projects are a huge waste of public money (for the most part), because when the results are presented they sound impressive... yet a statistician could draw any conclusion he wanted from this set of data, due to the enormous quantity of confounding variables.

I recommend that everyone who has ever read any statistics outside a peer-reviewed scientific publication, read the wikipedia article and carefully consider the implications when reading about similar "studies".

jufam44

Enlightened
Now I finally know why I keep the dang furball around-He'll keep me alive longer. :thumbsup: :nana:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, these kinds of data mining projects are a huge waste of public money (for the most part), because when the results are presented they sound impressive... yet a statistician could draw any conclusion he wanted from this set of data, due to the enormous quantity of confounding variables.

I recommend that everyone who has ever read any statistics outside a peer-reviewed scientific publication, read the wikipedia article and carefully consider the implications when reading about similar "studies".

And beyond that, these sorts of things qualify as "meta-analysis" projects. Those along with science by press release done by those who's work doesn't qualify for publication any other way are responsible for the continual calls about the sky falling that we hear so often, and also why we so often hear about miracle cures that then never pan out. It's no wonder people are paranoid about a conspiracy over things like cancer cures when we keep hearing about fantastic new research which then doesn't work later. No... couldn't be because the people doing it failed after they made a huge press release could it!

These medical meta-analysis are mostly done as part of peoples PHD required work. They are not done by people actually working in the field yet ;)

meuge

Enlightened
These medical meta-analysis are mostly done as part of peoples PHD required work. They are not done by people actually working in the field yet ;)
Nah... it's done by bored technicians, and statisticians who like (as you so succinctly put it) do "science by press release". Ironically, because their conclusions are so sweeping, they have no difficulty obtaining money to salary themselves through more of these projects.

If any of our PhD candidates did something like this, their committee would be very upset.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Statistics or no, I think there is no doubt that pets can have a tremendous therapeutic effect for those who like animals.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always knew sending my kitty to medical school would payoff.
I'll tell you, I'd be dead as a doorknob if Leon hadn't performed that emergency bypass on me last year...
and all he wanted in return were a few chicken tenders..

meow.